Why become a member? ×

Endorsements

Pete Academy

In this situation, I think my wealth would be the determinant: when poor but in need of gear, perhaps virtues would have to be sacrificed, but when in a financial situation that does not restrict your setup, this argument becomes moot, instead you would move towards your optimal gear configuration, at a now affordable personal expense. I am however a poor, poor student and so I'll accept any gear that companies want to throw at me, especially a decent amp!!

Edited by EskimoBassist

I turned down an amp endorsement offer a while ago so I could persue a Gallien Krueger endorsement. :) It worked out well but if GK hadn't endorsed me, I'd still be using their gear (like I was before the endorsement), just a smaller, cheaper rig.

So no, I wouldn't accept an endorseent offer if I didn't like the gear. :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1174312' date='Mar 24 2011, 10:00 AM']I'd love an endorsement which is probably one reason why I'm pretty much a walking advertisement for everything I use. Someday someone will take notice ey? :)[/quote]
Same here! :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1110098' date='Jan 31 2011, 08:46 PM']I remember reading an interview with Kurt Cobain about how desperate Gibson were to get him to endorse their guitars, and him saying he just couldn`t find one that he could get on with. I thought at the time, what integrity that showed.[/quote]

But then he took the endorsment deal with Purdey.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1110053' date='Jan 31 2011, 08:33 PM']If you were offered an endorsement and could get the bass or amp for free, would you use it because it cost you nothing, despite the fact that you didn't really like it?

Personally, I wouldn't.[/quote]

God no! I'm far too fussy about my gear! I'm a techy and a geek! ha! - I'm also pretty fussy about the relationship with the company too. An endorsement should be a two way 'agreement' and thus free gear, although very nice is only part of the deal. I'd want an endorsing company to believe in me as well as vice versa.

I'm very lucky to have some great people looking after me and I have no reason to want to change that. So a big shout out to some great companies from me :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1110053' date='Jan 31 2011, 08:33 PM']I remember reading an interview with Paul Weller where he said he had gear literally thrown at him by companies desperate for him to use it, and he ended up selling most of it.

The irony is that when you can afford to buy anything, the companies give it to you free.

If you were offered an endorsement and could get the bass or amp for free, would you use it because it cost you nothing, despite the fact that you didn't really like it?

Personally, I wouldn't.[/quote]

I agree it's all about your sound, I can't imagine any serious player using gear they couldn't get one with tonally............... no I don't like the sound of warwick amps thankyou....... so i won't use them ha ha ha!

[quote name='fatback' post='1174544' date='Mar 24 2011, 01:05 PM']Been trying for a Guinness endorsement for years. :)[/quote]

Now that would be the big one to get! :) Yeah, I like that! Nommmmmm!

I just picked up a Krampera endorsement, fortunately I love the gear so I was more than happy to take a free rig. :)

If.. say Line6 offered me an amp endorsement.. I wouldn't use it - on guitar maybe but not on bass (they're not for me). So yeah, it'd get sold. :)

I'm waiting for these Farida FJB Fretless's to turn up, and i'll be mentioned as an endorsee - thing is, I liked their basic Jazz copy a lot and approached them with a few ideas for a fretless, and they made 2 to my spec...so I know I like them (although one will be fretted eventually by a local luthier) and i'll proudly use them.

They will be my maing gigging basses as they're amazing - My CS Jazz bass will get an outing from time to time, but these will be with me until i'm done playing, or dead. (I'd let them quote me on that).

Also, i'll be swapping out my tired old Fender BG-32 Acoustic for their AB-10 which is a much nicer instrument...

But if a rep asked me to endorse a product I didn't believe in, I'm not sure I could be arsed lying, or appearing in the garbage adverts in 'play music' magazine.

Depends on the product - I think basses are highly personal things, whereas amps, I don't worry about; it's pretty difficult to find an amp these days without at least one useable sound, particularly in a band setting rather than a soloist - not like the 'ANDY TRAVIS EXPERIENCE' is coming to town anytime soon...

If D'addario are reading - I use your strings exclusively, can I have some in the post?!? Ha.

I know alembic say they make everyone pay the same amount, partly so that they don't need to pass the costs on to those who buy their products the usual way, and they also feel it says more if the artist has chosen to pay for it over a free instrument. The only bass they've ever given free was a [url="http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_dragonsbreath.html"]special to Stanley Clarke[/url], to celebrate his 30ish years of using alembics.

Edited by Zach

[quote name='daz' post='1179767' date='Mar 28 2011, 05:23 PM']Is someone gonna tell us who this band is then, or is it a secret ?? :)[/quote]

The image link suggests it's a band called 'Immortal'... this lot:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_%28band%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_%28band%29[/url]

From Wikipedia:

"Immortal is a black metal band from Bergen, Norway. The band was formed by Abbath and Demonaz Doom Occulta after their previous band, Amputation, did not take off."

^ I guess someone needed to give them a hand!

... I'll get me coat.

Edited by Skol303