Why become a member? ×

GAS for an SR5...Damn those sexy MM,s

bubinga5

i dont get GAS (MUCH) these days, but what keeps popping into my mind is an SR5.. i had a fantastic one, but let it go for financial reasons.. it was the only bass i really regret letting go.... The one i had was just an incredible bass.. weight, playability, the build quality was the best ive had, the punch and tone were amazing..... im getting the need to get one again.. Im either going to sell some studio monitors or save...

the one i had was on here a while ago for sale... did anyone buy it?....if anyone can remember the sale of my old one can you link me...Was blue with matching headstock..

These are really nice.. my vote goes for the Sequoia Gold Finish 2008 LTD SR5.. just lovely.. or the white... oh or the sterling silver...they were always very good at combining colour combos Music Man....

Edited by bubinga5

It's the only bass I'm interested in buying at the moment. The price of them has gone through the roof though! EDIT really like the last one, Paul Turner used the exact same one (colour, piezo, everything) back with Jamiroquai on the 2005 tour, sounded ace.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' post='1105685' date='Jan 27 2011, 11:02 PM']It's the only bass I'm interested in buying at the moment. The price of them has gone through the roof though! EDIT really like the last one, Paul Turner used the exact same one (colour, piezo, everything) back with Jamiroquai on the 2005 tour, sounded ace.[/quote]Did you see the one for £600.. i would without doubt buy 2nd hand..

the great thing about (among other great things) SR5's is they are so comfortable to play..other 5's ive had like a Lakland 55, or a Fender J5, are a little bit of a stretch..but the SR5 like the Sei, are a breeze..the SR5 was nicer than the Sei for B string and comfort...just a very together 5 string.. everything was there..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1105756' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:29 AM']Did you see the one for £600.. i would without doubt buy 2nd hand..[/quote]

Yes :) nothing gets past me! Unfortunately my financial position is poor, we've just released our debut album and we're back to promoting it as best we can right now and it involves a lot of work for little to no return. Hoping this will change soon, it's a shame otherwise I would have snapped it up mate!

My blue pearl with the black gloss pg and black knobs looks the bollocks! :) mm do seam to do colours very well and I have never seen a poor finish on one either, I was looking at the Teal and maple one that was in the fs last week and I thought how nice it looked then realised it was identical to my 2002 :) the main reason I went new was the fact I really wanted the normal ray EQ and alnico pup so already that limited me to fairly new (2008) ones and it was from Santa anyway :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='risingson' post='1105762' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:36 AM']Yes :) nothing gets past me! Unfortunately my financial position is poor, we've just released our debut album and we're back to promoting it as best we can right now and it involves a lot of work for little to no return. Hoping this will change soon, it's a shame otherwise I would have snapped it up mate![/quote]yeah it was like the the bus was 2.90 but i only had £1.10.. and it sailed passed..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1105766' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:41 AM']My blue pearl with the black gloss pg and black knobs looks the bollocks! :) mm do seam to do colours very well and I have never seen a poor finish on one either, I was looking at the Teal and maple one that was in the fs last week and I thought how nice it looked then realised it was identical to my 2002 :) the main reasons I went knew was the fact I really wanted the normal ray EQ and alnico pup so already that limited me to fairly new (2008) ones and it was from Santa anyway :lol:[/quote]Pete everytime i see yours it reminds me of my old one damn you.. :D same colour...

Sorry mate what can I say?! The neck is a bit pale still but I have it sat near the window which seams to give them a bit of flavour over time. Also I'm waiting until the strings are shot until I set it up with my usual gauge plus the B so it's not exactly right for me yet ,I got a set of EB strings, (pink set 40-125?) in the deal from pmt and another set free for registering the warranty with strings and things online too. Comfortable to play even for a 5 newb like me compared to some I have tried and the B is nice too. Just what I wanted really a Stingray with an extra string everything else I'm more than familiar with on Rays anyway so it was the obvious default five for me, G&LPete1977 just doesn't sound right either :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1105775' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:51 AM']AAGH.. nooo...damn you over seas person..

ok you got pics?[/quote]

I'll take some this weekend if the sun decides to apear but only to keep your GAS running. I seriously doubt you would be willing to pay what i'm asking for... it's almost the price of a new one over there!
In a local store there's one priced at 2300€!!! (=£1980!!!) Of course i've sent mine in from UK (new) for a lot less :)
I have it for little less than two years and it's been sitting on it's case ever since i bought the TRB (8 months ago) hence me selling...
Rough math adds something like £1150 if i were to ship you this boy... so i think you won't be doing business with me :)

I'll try not to forget the pics, keep that SR5 GAS, they're realy amazing basses. The best B string i heard and the fastest and more comfortable neck i've played. Only selling mine because i think it deserves to be played and it's sound is not suited for what i'm playing at the moment.

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

My SR5 (as seen on my avatar) is the discontinued teal colour which I really like as it looks different depending on the light: sometimes more blueish, sometimes more greenish, and the grain of the wood shows through nicely. Lovely birds eye maple neck too.

Mine is a 1991 model, so it apparently has a slightly different pre-amp to the norm, and alnico pickups I believe.

By the way, I'm not thinking of selling it - I'm just stoking up yer GAS a little :)

[attachment=70503:DSC01933.JPG]

I've been completely blown away since getting mine. I'd had gas for a MM5 for years and decided to 'get it out of my system' when a really nice vintage sunburst one came up on eBay. Mine has a maple board, colour matched headstock and the best bit of birdseye maple I've ever seen for the neck, but aside from its beauty, its possibly the easiest bass I've ever played live. The balance is perfect, the neck profile is perfect, the sound is massive and it 'sits' in the mix really well.