Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1140401' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:45 PM']Are you liking the EMG Selects?[/quote]

Yeah definitely!
It sounds great, i quite liked the sound of the original pup but this is much better - probably my favourite out of my limited experience of Precisions. Loads of thump but never loses focus, i tend to play passive basses with the tone almost rolled off and it's great in that situation, very balanced and not lacking in anything.
Seeing as these are around £30 new i think they're a bit of a bargain. I'll have a set of J Selects spare soon so i may stick them in my Jazz bitsa
Only had it through my little Hartke combo so far but will definitely be taking it to practice.

It's definitely staying where it is now, seeing as i basically got it for free - i bought a job lot for bodies, necks, case and a Badass bridge and this was in it along with some other bits and pieces - it seems fitting that it goes in this bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my DiMarzio DP122 (model P) pickup, so I decided to start the changes I was going to do in one of the basses.
First of all, it involved changing the neck. It has a rosewood fretboard and I wanted a maple one (still a SR neck!). And I noticed one thing... the maple necks are noticeably chunkier than teh rosewood ones!!!

My first SR was a rosewood one, and felt rather slim. I didn't understand why so many people talked about chunky necks. Now I do!

I have 3 SR basses, and 4 SR necks. Two rosewood, both identically slim. Two maple, both identically chunky.

There you go!

Also, out of my 3 SR basses, the navy blue one (SR#3, navy/maple) is the one that I consider to be more "growly". Using the stock strings and pickup. This bass was destined to be body-stripped and fitted with roundwounds, and pickup choice was unknown. I quite fancied a DiMarzio DP127, which is P-shaped but very unlike a P-bass in every other respect... but now I might just leave the stock pickup on, at least initially.
SR#1 (white/rosewood) stays stock, with Rotosound nylon flats. I have an up/down relationship with these strings. Some days I love them. Very double-bass like. Other days I hate them. Hmmm.
SR#2 (white/rosewood) will have the pretty maple SR neck I bought from 'pikeman' (holes don't quite match, so a bit of filling/redrilling will be involved), the DiMarzio model-P I just received, and some brighter flats (non-coated). I have a set of D'Addario Chromes just waiting.

That's all for now on the SR bass bonanza :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1150501' date='Mar 5 2011, 01:06 PM']Went into a shop today - they only had a Gold Top and red Strat though :P.[/quote]

I can't find the icon for "ner ner ner neeer ner" :D

I wish they'd made the P-bass in red. I don't like red guitars, but then I was supposed to not like P-basses either :) Now I think a red P-bass with tortoiseshell type pickguard and rosewood fingerboard (and I'm a fan of maple) is a very cool looking thing indeed.

what happened to me? :) :lol:

Thanks to 7String for replacing my Sue Ryders pickup with an USA Standard Precision pickup and the strings replaced with GHS Medium Precision Flatwounds.

Sounds amazing!!!! :) My first time using flatwounds and i love them. For £60 no way. Pickups cost £35 secondhand ( ChrisWilliams ). Its my go-to bass at the moment :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1150506' date='Mar 5 2011, 01:14 PM']I can't find the icon for "ner ner ner neeer ner" :D

I wish they'd made the P-bass in red. I don't like red guitars, but then I was supposed to not like P-basses either :) Now I think a red P-bass with tortoiseshell type pickguard and rosewood fingerboard (and I'm a fan of maple) is a very cool looking thing indeed.

what happened to me? :) :lol:[/quote]

They DID make it in red! :P

[quote name='mcnach' post='1150506' date='Mar 5 2011, 01:14 PM']I can't find the icon for "ner ner ner neeer ner" :D

what happened to me? :) :lol:[/quote]

I have a red SR..............

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='1151541' date='Mar 6 2011, 03:40 PM']Ordered my black pickguard and chrome bridge cover today :)[/quote]

We'll have to get together and compare Dark Ryders when yours is finished.
I quite fancied a black scratchplate on mine but for some perverse reason decided to keep the original white R plate on it.
After fitting a Fender pickup I thought I'd done enough for now. I have to admit though, it's a dream to play and has a great sound.

[quote name='edstraker123' post='1152559' date='Mar 7 2011, 03:05 PM']Anybody know of a shop in the North West with a Sue Ryder in stock (not Navy.) I've phoned all of the local stores without any success. If I can track one down they may be able to transfer it to my local shop. I could drive to pick it up if it wasn't too far.

Ed.[/quote]

Hi Ed, I have a new Sonic blue and a white complete with gigbags, strap & tools if you're interested?
Could ship to you for about £13. + the cost of the bass £60

Just if you don't get fixed up :)

regards, Tom.

Edited by tom1946

[quote name='tom1946' post='1154857' date='Mar 9 2011, 07:00 AM']I have 2 spare ones, sonic blu & white.

They have small chips where the neck join is, here:

The white one is only a slight chip, much less.[/quote]

Well thats knocked a couple of noughts off the resale value in the collectors market - bet your guttered!! :)

A