Why become a member? ×

Secondhand Warwick Prices - Wtf Is Going On??

xilddx

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1104410' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:27 PM']see, the other thing on basschat is everyone jumps up and goes.... "oooh warwicks, not as good, oh no, very nu-metal, heavy things, baseball bat necks you sure you want one"
my bass is one of the lightest ive played and has an insanely thin neck.... there are good warwicks out there![/quote]

I prefer a JB over a PB any day of the week and I reckon valve amps are really cack - no science or statistical analysis involved - it's all about preferences - I'm not about to get upset if someone disagrees with me over my preferences.

It really doesn't matter whether you choose an Overwater or a Squier - as long as it does what you want it to do and you are happy with it then that really is all that matters... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1104447' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:56 PM']I prefer a JB over a PB any day of the week and I reckon valve amps are really cack - no science or statistical analysis involved - it's all about preferences - I'm not about to get upset if someone disagrees with me over my preferences.

It really doesn't matter whether you choose an Overwater or a Squier - as long as it does what you want it to do and you are happy with it then that really is all that matters... :)[/quote]

so what you're kinda saying, is that it isn't the size that's important; it's what you do with it?

i'm thinking of selling my fortress, but i'm not sure if it's just worth hanging onto until the come back into vogue :)

oddly, i love the way it feels to play, but i just hanker after...(sorry) the sound of fender jazz-style basses. i keep coming back to my trusty old jazz or my status t-bass these days more than the warwick.

maybe it's just i've played jazzed (?) for so long they're the yardstick by which i judge all others...

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1104410' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:27 PM']see, the other thing on basschat is everyone jumps up and goes.... "oooh warwicks, not as good, oh no, very nu-metal, heavy things, baseball bat necks you sure you want one"
my bass is one of the lightest ive played and has an insanely thin neck.... there are good warwicks out there![/quote]

My 1999 Thumb had a fairly thin neck, certainly a "classic" Warwick profile as opposed to the clubby D shape they used after 2000/2001. When they stopped using wenge as the normal neck wood, the necks seemed to get fatter and changed shape. I've played some awful Warwick necks, the one I think back to is a yellow FNA Corvette 5 string that was just awful. This was at a time when Warwick had a boom and their basses ended up everywhere, and many people got their first taste of a Warwick with a massive neck on it. :)

I remember how popular Warwick used to be, I saw a photo of Sound Control Manchester that machines took with his phone years ago, it was wall-to-wall with Warwicks!

Mind you, I traded my Thumb for a Kubicki Ex Factor, there are good deals and spots of luck like this to be had!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1103677' date='Jan 26 2011, 02:08 PM']I'm not sure about that, the two big designs, the Streamer and the Thumb, were both conceived in the 80's! In fact, the Streamer really goes further back than that because it's a Ned Steinberger design! Some of the newer models like the Vampyre and the Star bass are hideous, but the real Warwick classics still look good. The thing is, they've always been niche instruments, played by bassists who like to step away from the traditional Fender or Fender inspired designs. This market of players will always exist, but Warwick do go through phases of being "in" and at the moment they definitely seem to be out!

Around 2000/2001, it seemed like everyone wanted a Warwick and they were very popular but they've went into decline since then. I'm not sure if they'll ever see popularity like that again but they do make some good basses![/quote]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but to be honest the Warwick boom in this country seemed to tie in with Jamiroquai's popularity in the 90's, so the design doesn't really constitute much of an 80's aesthetic to my eyes as much as a bright pink Yamaha or Jackson does. I do think the design of Warwick's flagship stuff is dated, but this is only in relation to what I see being played right now, and there's nothing to say that this trend won't buck anytime soon.

I like Warwicks, I always have, but I think they've played into the hands of a certain market that has now alienated some potential customers that believe that their application as instruments is limited to metal etc. They need a bit of an overhaul image wise, maybe start looking to endorse a wider range of artists that pull a newer crowd of players.

[quote name='risingson' post='1104654' date='Jan 27 2011, 02:17 AM']I like Warwicks, I always have, but I think they've played into the hands of a certain market that has now alienated some potential customers that believe that their application as instruments is limited to metal etc. They need a bit of an overhaul image wise, maybe start looking to endorse a wider range of artists that pull a newer crowd of players.[/quote]

The thing is, you don't see too many metal guys with them any more. There were loads 5 years ago or so, but either the bands involved have slipped into obscurity or the players have moved on to other instruments or endorsers. The stigma's still there though.

On the plus side, it did make for some excellent bass tones on some rock/metal recordings back then - Alex Katunich's SSII tone on the earlier Incubus stuff was fantastic and inspirational, as was Ryan Martinie's stuff on the Mudvayne records. Looking forward to hearing Mike McKeegan's tone on the new Therapy? album, now he's playing Warwicks.

Warwick attempted something a little more conventional a few years back with the Katana, and I don't think it's done all that well. I've never seen anyone play one live, not to mention it had a good thrashing with the ugly stick. :)

[quote name='Russ' post='1105420' date='Jan 27 2011, 06:57 PM']Warwick attempted something a little more conventional a few years back with the Katana, and I don't think it's done all that well. I've never seen anyone play one live, not to mention it had a good thrashing with the ugly stick. :)[/quote]

No, that model was never particularly well received, especially in it's hideous bolt on guise.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1105711' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:38 AM']No, that model was never particularly well received, especially in it's hideous bolt on guise.[/quote]

I'm amazed they still make it, to be honest. For me, the only design that they make outside of the Thumb and Streamer that really works is the Infinity. I had high hopes for the Thumb singlecut, but it ended up being disappointing...

They do have some very nice Korean-made signature basses now that might make their range a bit more accessible. There's a cheaper P-Nut sig bass that looks awesome, and the cheaper Zender bass looks a lot nicer without the silly inlays. Shame they've got maple necks though - part of the whole Warwick allure for me is the exotic-wood necks.

[quote name='Russ' post='1105744' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:20 AM']I'm amazed they still make it, to be honest. For me, the only design that they make outside of the Thumb and Streamer that really works is the Infinity. I had high hopes for the Thumb singlecut, but it ended up being disappointing...[/quote]

Yes, the Corvette is another popular one that just does not work for me. I think Warwick have some part to play in devaluing their brand over the years, watering things down with ash bodies and maples necks hasn't really done them any good. To me, that classic Warwick sound comes from the Thumb, with it's wenge/ovangkol/bubinga construction and pickup placement.

[quote name='silddx' post='1103214' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:40 AM']And why the f*** am I selling my superb Corvette $$ that has served me faultlessly live and in the studio for a stupid price (I'm getting even stupider offers too) so I can jump on the awful boring mindless Fender bandwagon?? Eh?

Please convince me I am a complete f***ing tool. Thank you.[/quote]
In the current Warwick-specific economic climate, you're an absolute f***ing tool for not buying lots more Warwicks at knock-down prices.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1106218' date='Jan 28 2011, 02:02 PM']Yes, the Corvette is another popular one that just does not work for me. I think Warwick have some part to play in devaluing their brand over the years, watering things down with ash bodies and maples necks hasn't really done them any good. To me, that classic Warwick sound comes from the Thumb, with it's wenge/ovangkol/bubinga construction and pickup placement.[/quote]

I'm not a Corvette fan either. In my opinion, the last new and interesting shape they came out with was the Fortress, which has now been demoted to being a Rockbass-only model. :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1106218' date='Jan 28 2011, 02:02 PM']To me, that classic Warwick sound comes from the Thumb, with it's wenge/ovangkol/bubinga construction and pickup placement.[/quote]
No ovangkol in [i]proper[/i] Thumbs... :)

Still struggling to sell mine, I'd really hang on to it unless there's a reason you desperately need shot of it.

My computer needs replacing but I'd rather deal with a computer that crashes than sell my thumb for less than the £750 it's up for now. Funnily enough, the only serious trade offers I've had have been for other warwicks.

I think one of the problems on a forum like this is that because for sale threads never go away (at least not for years), it only takes one person that's in a real need to sell their bass quickly to drive down all the prices for a long time.

E.G. Person 1 needs to sell his bass to get his car repaired or he's screwed. He sells for £200 less than they usually go for.

Person 2 is on the look out for the same bass, sees that person 1 sold his for very cheap then isn't prepared to pay too much over that.

Instantly, the price someone is prepared to pay has gone down by a fair margin. It's no-one's fault (maybe a little bit of the buyer's for being a bit short sighted, but understandable).

On ebay people don't tend to value stuff based on the price they go for, especially with more expensive stuff. It's just the luck of the draw if someone has the cash and the desire within the week to bid on the item. On a forum like this people seem to take prices and value a little more literally.

My attention is drawn back to the Thumb singlecut, How long I had dreamed of a singlecut Warwick, and how hideous it is to see in the flesh. The concept image looked alright but seeing it in person, and being a singlecut fanatic (and owner) it looks awful to me. It's bloated and lacks elegance and the wood choice is all wrong.

Warwick were in a catch 22 situation, as the bass would be like a boat anchor if they used proper African hardwoods like wenge, bubinga and ovangkol to make it, so it looks like it has maple or ash used to build the body/neck and a bubinga top for finish. They may have avoided a tonne weight bass there but the woods are all wrong, those are not "Thumb" woods and I doubt it will have that amazing Thumb sound because the wood choice is intrinsic to the real Warwick sound me for me.

[quote name='onkel_kasten' post='1107031' date='Jan 29 2011, 10:27 AM']I bought my Stage I from '92 for 350€ incl. a tank-like flightcase in december. Great bass, great deal.

I think today warwicks don't come even close to the quality of the old days, check out the picture I made this week in a local shop:[/quote]

Oh dear :)

What bass was it?

I have been rejecting Fenders for 25 years based on my experience of them in the 1980s when I changed from 6 string to bass guitar. I'm a recent Fender convert and now appreciate their qualities, as a glance at my sig will tell you. (I always loved Fender strats and teles though)

I have been selling gear recently to raise cash. I sold gear both on basschat and locally and if a buyer had turned up for my Warwick Streamer stage 2 it would have gone.

Thankfully, I still have it and I hope I can keep it. It is in a different universe for build quality and the sound is pure Warwick. I've always lusted after a stage 2 because, as much as I love the Thumb sound, I prefer the Streamer feel and looks and the stage 2 bridges the gap between Thumb and Streamer for me. I have sold 4 basses in 2 months and miss them all.

My thoughts are : keep your Warwick if you can afford to. It really doesn't matter about fashion and market values - they are just fantastic instruments.

Frank.

i actually today decide to withdraw my warwick from the market.
Ill keep it as is a fantastic instrument, great sound great quality.
From when i bought the wick my fenders are not been played anymore as the playability and sound of the fenders are like toys compered to the warwick.
Im sure that its all about look of the instruments, most of people don't like warwicks and to be honest i hate the look of the pickups but once you see it every day you get used too.
I would you advice you to don't sell it just keep it.here is mine
P.s she is a dirty bitch ,zoom on the fretboard for some sexual fantasy