Why become a member? ×

Obscure Vintage Basses

Stroopy121

For a thread entitled "Obscure Vintage Basses" this is displaying a singular lack of obscure vintage bass content! I'll give you the Hag, sort of, but no Fender Precision, even one painted SnotBurst, in any sense qualifies as obscure!

So, have an Epiphone Scroll to chew on:

[attachment=69929:372d_3.JPG]

Now go post something [b]interesting![/b] :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1101572' date='Jan 24 2011, 11:17 PM']For a thread entitled "Obscure Vintage Basses" this is displaying a singular lack of obscure vintage bass content! I'll give you the Hag, sort of, but no Fender Precision, even one painted SnotBurst, in any sense qualifies as obscure!

So, have an Epiphone Scroll to chew on:

[attachment=69929:372d_3.JPG]

Now go post something [b]interesting![/b] :)

Jon.[/quote]

Mmm, bit of a tease!!

Let's see the whole thing, then!! :)

It's beyond me how Hagstroms achieve the prices I've just seen.
I have a body of one waiting for me to complete a refin on and it is honestly the closet thing to the proverbial plank (quite literally) I have ever seen. Also the 'tronics are shockingly poor and the pups are pish. Beyond retro styling pose factor I fail to see the attraction. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1101800' date='Jan 25 2011, 09:59 AM']It's beyond me how Hagstroms achieve the prices I've just seen.
I have a body of one waiting for me to complete a refin on and it is honestly the closet thing to the proverbial plank (quite literally) I have ever seen. Also the 'tronics are shockingly poor and the pups are pish. Beyond retro styling pose factor I fail to see the attraction. :)[/quote]

It's the Hendrix link in all likelihood.

It has been claimed over and over again in various books that he had used a Hag 8 on Spanish Castle Magic and a couple of other songs from Axis Bold As Love. Simply listening to the tracks reveals this to be bollocks (if a Hagstrom is being played, it's Noel Redding who's playing it), but it's been repeated enough that the instruments have developed a mystique that they don't entirely deserve.

Here's an example from Chris Welch's biography 'Hendrix':

[quote]"In truth, guitars were probably Jimi's most precious possession. The theft of a favourite guitar was more of a tragedy than an inconvenience. He had about eight guitars including a Fender Stratocaster, Gibson Flying Angel, double neck six and twelve string Gibsons, a Rickenbacker bass and two eight string bass guitars. (He used an eight string bass on 'Spanish Castle Magic', and both models were made by Hagstrom of America.)"[/quote]

I don't expect I need to point out that Welch clearly knew nothing about guitars.

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1101715' date='Jan 25 2011, 08:04 AM']Mmm, bit of a tease!!

Let's see the whole thing, then!! :)[/quote]

Aha - might have guessed that would pique your curiosity, Mr Flat! Very regrettably - not mine, this one turned up on US Ebay a couple of years ago & is only the second example I've seen. In fact it might've been the same one twice.

It's a Matsumoku, like the much more common Epi Scroll guitars. Here's the head - featuring the same MIJ Wavy Grover copies that Mat Rick copies have:

[attachment=69936:32a1_3.JPG]

Well - most of them. I have a late 70s Rosetti catalogue which features the Scroll guitars, but no bass - it's quite possible they were never imported here.

Moving along, personally I'd say any thread called "Obscure Vintage Basses" would benefit from some Attila Balogh Odyssey action, know wot I mean, squire? :)

J.

Thats my Hagstrom 8 string!

Well one of them. I've also got a darker sunburst all mahogany one (the one featured in Tony Bacons book)

I was playing it through my Ampeg B15 yesterday, and it sounded utterly superb. It does change your playing style a little - upstrokes are bassier than downstrokes (due to the order of the strings). I play fingerstyle, so my fingers generally go up. You may need to play with your amp settings to get the right tone you want for your playing style.

There are several tracks where Hendrix plays the Hag; on some of the Curtis Knight stuff particularly, and Noel plays it in a couple places during the BBC sessions too (another great CD)

And yes, they did a four string version but with a Fender style headstock.

Hagstrom did some great basses and pickups. Remember the Bisonics on all them Guild Starfires are made by Hagstrom. My Hagstrom Concord is also another great little bass, and you won't find many people who have played a Hagstrom Swede who doesn't like it.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1101863' date='Jan 25 2011, 11:04 AM']Aha - might have guessed that would pique your curiosity, Mr Flat! Very regrettably - not mine, this one turned up on US Ebay a couple of years ago & is only the second example I've seen. In fact it might've been the same one twice.

Moving along, personally I'd say any thread called "Obscure Vintage Basses" would benefit from some Attila Balogh Odyssey action, know wot I mean, squire? :lol:

J.[/quote]

Aha, you mean these. . . . .

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2010/06/start-at-last.html"]Odyssey Bass[/url]

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2010/12/tale-of-odyssey-or-two.html"]Odyssey and another Odyssey[/url]

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2011/01/happy-new-year-bonne-annee-guten-rutsch.html"]Both Together!! :lol:[/url]

Don't know why you are interested, Jon - these are lousy basses, impossible to play, no good live
and you would not want one - so if you see another one, please let me know!! :lol: :D :P :) :)

Cheers. :D

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1104709' date='Jan 27 2011, 08:04 AM']Don't know why you are interested, Jon - these are lousy basses, impossible to play, no good live
and you would not want one - so if you see another one, please let me know!! :lol: :D :P :) :)

Cheers. :lol:[/quote]
I've heard they're rubbish Eric, I only want one because the name sounds like a prog concept album... Of course, having two of the things cluttering the place up must be unbearable, I'd be doing my charitable duty by taking one off your hands! :lol:

Anyway, I approve of the way this thread's heading, and it deserves an unidentified Kasuga through-neck, probably early 80s:

[attachment=70142:kasuga_03.jpg] [attachment=70143:kasuga_11.jpg]

And if anyone spots one of [i]these[/i], in the UK & at a sensible price...

J.

[quote name='Zach' post='1100832' date='Jan 24 2011, 02:28 PM']Anyone care to guess what a 'resinator fretboard for ease of playing' means?[/quote]
The fretboard's made out of moulded resin, rather than wood. I s'pose they called it 'resinator' as a waffy advertisingthing that implies all sorts of exotic sonic promise without actually delivering.

I'd like one of these:

A National Newport 84

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1104822' date='Jan 27 2011, 10:39 AM']I've heard they're rubbish Eric, I only want one because the name sounds like a prog concept album... Of course, having two of the things cluttering the place up must be unbearable, I'd be doing my charitable duty by taking one off your hands! :)

Anyway, I approve of the way this thread's heading, and it deserves an unidentified Kasuga through-neck, probably early 80s:

[attachment=70142:kasuga_03.jpg] [attachment=70143:kasuga_11.jpg]

And if anyone spots one of [i]these[/i], in the UK & at a sensible price...

J.[/quote]

Aha, this is turning out like a game of cards!! :)

"I'll match your Kasuga, through-neck, probably early 80's and raise you with this . . . . .!"

[attachment=70247:Electra.jpg]

[attachment=70248:Electra1.jpg]

[attachment=70249:Electra2.jpg]

You would need two Kasugas to beat my Electra! :lol:

Erm, it's just occured to me, you already have one, don't you?

P.S - Ref your revious post. . . . . If you only want an Odyssey for the name,
I've got a couple of planks that I can scratch "Odyssey" on the head . . .
that'll do you then!!
Usual address?? :D

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1106129' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:59 PM']Aha, this is turning out like a game of cards!! :)

"I'll match your Kasuga, through-neck, probably early 80's and raise you with this . . . . .!"

You would need two Kasugas to beat my Electra! :)

Erm, it's just occured to me, you already have one, don't you?

P.S - Ref your revious post. . . . . If you only want an Odyssey for the name,
I've got a couple of planks that I can scratch "Odyssey" on the head . . .
that'll do you then!!
Usual address?? :lol:[/quote]
Electra Outlaw obscure? I don't fink so, matey! :D So obscure it's famously played by an indisputable Prog titan, and inspires both heinous modifications in surviving examples and lookey-likey custom tributes? Naaah. I've only got the one Kasuga (and it's a not-very-obscure Rick copy) but I still win. :P

And it was one of the scabby planks with "Odyseey" scratched on the top I was after - very generous of you to offer them both!

Anyway - one form my own shed:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1106378' date='Jan 28 2011, 04:26 PM']Electra Outlaw obscure? I don't fink so, matey! :D So obscure it's famously played by an indisputable Prog titan, and inspires both heinous modifications in surviving examples and lookey-likey custom tributes? Naaah. I've only got the one Kasuga (and it's a not-very-obscure Rick copy) but I still win. :P

And it was one of the scabby planks with "Odyseey" scratched on the top I was after - very generous of you to offer them both!

Anyway - one form my own shed:

J.[/quote]

Oh dear!! :)

Until I scrolled down to this post, I thought I had pulled out my ace card!
I thought "I bet he's never seen another one of these". . . . . .

. . . . . and then you pull that out of the bag!! :)

Shall we mutually agree to fold this hand and start another??!! :lol:

[quote name='Stroopy121' post='1106363' date='Jan 28 2011, 04:17 PM']What in god's name is that and who do I have to kill to get one? :)

xx[/quote]

Incredibly, that's an all-original 1967-ish Hofner 500/2 Club bass.

Judging by appearances and on very close inspection, the best explanation I can offer is that a very stoned German hippy (I bought it in Germany) decided to go psychedelic by using a 2" paintbrush and two cans of household paint.

The best forensic science available to me tells me that one can contained Dulux Pure White gloss (or the Deutsche equivalent) and the other contained a very hard-wearing red paint, probably oil-based and probably originally with a satin finish.

The DIY bungler in me notices the ludicrous overly-generous slapping-on of white gloss, resulting in very obvious runs and dribbles. The white gloss has now become a rather fetching stale nicotine.

Despite all appearances, it doesn't play too badly, the pickup output is simply outrageous - far higher than any other Hofner I've owned on the bridge pickup - the tone is immense and woody, it only weighs 5lbs (i.e. just over 2Kg), and occasionally people look at it. :)

The downside is that the intonation is very poor, the neck is more than a tad banana'd, and the finish (especially on the back of the neck and the front of the headstock) makes me wince every time I look at it.

Bloody superb thing to turn up with at a jam though ...

I love those Antiqua Fenders. The CIJ RI Fenders were a lot greener but I like the originals. Hagstrom basses I know from The Eagles (although 4 string not 8 string) and I thought they were a pretty well known make. I also think Cheap Trick and 80s Glamsters Enuff Z'Nuff, if you'll forgive the obscure reference.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1106378' date='Jan 28 2011, 04:26 PM'][/quote]
I've used one of these on a recording session. Nice bass actually. Obviously I wouldn't play it live. Image, y'know :)