Why become a member? ×

Low Output Pick Ups

Jigster

it just means that the signal coming out of your bass will be of a lower volume compared to a bass with higher output pickup. effectively you'd need to to turn your bass amp up to get the same volume as a bass with higher output pickups.

moe suitable for gigging ? depends how low is 'low'

Low output means exactly what it says, the output signal of the pickup is low. It means that you have to turn your gain up on the amp to be the same level as a higher output model. There is no distinct disadvantage in having a low output pickup in itself. Indeed some low output pickups like lace sensors have a very nice tone to them, very "detailed". The problem is that because it requires further amplification then you have to make sure you have everything like shielding in order because they can be subject to more noise otherwise. Also if you've got your amp turned high then remember to mute it before you plug/unplug your bass :)

If you equate 'low output' to 'low number of windings of wire in pickup' (pretty much true, I think) then you'll find they 'seem' to emphasise treble & bass, & some would say the mids are scooped.

As more windings are added to a pickup the mids become emphasised and 'thicker'.

At what point the pickup represents the true tonality of your bass instrument is pretty much up to your own ear.

Vastly overwound *guitar* pickups emphasise the mids so much that the mids in the amp EQ setup are turned away down to compensate. This 'Mid Scoop' so often spoken about never really brings the over-dominance of the mids in overwound pickups into the picture as an explanation for the 'Smiley Face' EQ contour.

It has been said in this forum that the G&L bass pickups are very hot. I'm not familiar with them (only having played Neepheid's for about 10 mins) so perhaps those owning them might comment if the output is achieved via over-winding & mids-dominance, or if Leo found another way to get passive power without skewing the EQ?

I have a Peavey Cirrus BXP V and it has active pups which, in themselves, are quite low powered, but are then put into a boosting pre. Works fine for me.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

These are worth reading

[url="http://www.fralinpickups.com/choose.asp"]http://www.fralinpickups.com/choose.asp[/url]
[url="http://www.fralinpickups.com/Guitars_Pickups.asp"]http://www.fralinpickups.com/Guitars_Pickups.asp[/url]

Bear in mind that super high output is a fairly recent trend, the "vintage" tone that people spend absurd amounts of money on is primarily based around quite low output pickups.

[quote name='Jigster' post='1099313' date='Jan 23 2011, 08:39 AM']I ask because I've heard it said but really never quite known - and is it a bad thing: for example: are low output p'ups less suited to gigging?[/quote]

Nah :)
'Low output' is a relative term.
If low output pickups were no good for gigging then the Strat would never have taken off and stood the test of time... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1099554' date='Jan 23 2011, 12:30 PM']Nah :)
'Low output' is a relative term.
If low output pickups were no good for gigging then the Strat would never have taken off and stood the test of time... :)[/quote]
Agreed. The other nite our singer brought along his Les Paul and his Telecaster, and the difference in volume between the two was amazing, yet the humble Tele is still going strong. Low output not a problem.

The pickups on my ASAT are red hot in output, and this has never been a problem until switching to a Markbass head. The input gain has to set very low (9 o clock or less) to avoid clipping. Whilst the tone is fantastic I don't believe, I'm getting the full 500W as a result. This maybe due to the digital components of the amp, I'm not sure. I mention it just as a heads up to those considering high out pups and a Class D head.

Edited by scalpy

[quote name='Jigster' post='1099313' date='Jan 23 2011, 08:39 AM']I ask because I've heard it said but really never quite known - and is it a bad thing: for example: are low output p'ups less suited to gigging?[/quote]
Low-impediance low-output pickups, Rick Turner, Alembic. Really don't think there's anything else needs said. But, will just add, when you boil everything right down to the very basics, Turner's main reason for designing the original low-output pickups was to increase the bandwidth of the output signal, to facilitate an expanded, and enhanced, aural spectrum, which could be shaped with more precision.