Why become a member? ×

Best 2x12

far0n

[quote name='Merton' post='1097420' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:02 PM']No, the MAIN point is Maximum Tone.

Minimum weight is not the main point.

Alex and Russ are winding each other up :)[/quote]

So its quiet and Heavy but sounds great :)

Oh give it a rest chaps.

It is the lightest 'big' cab (and it is big I assure you) I have ever tried to lift. Its downright silly in fact. It is definitely in the light weight class generally, and specifically for a cab this size its a featherwight.

It delivers massive massive output if you give it enough watts, which in todays environment doesnt require a particularly heavy amp.

The tone is sublime.

Alex is on the money on all of them.

You're starting to sound like a bunch of schoolboys.....

[quote name='51m0n' post='1097425' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:05 PM']You're starting to sound like a bunch of schoolboys.....[/quote]
No we're not...! :)

BTW, +1 on everyhting you said about the Big One. I know nothing of the Super Twelve as I'm yet to hear one, but I know the Big One is an awsome, awesome cab :)

Oh heck this topic is best 2x12 which is subjective! Lets not turn this into yet another basschat BF vs everything else thread. The BF 2x12 might be right for the OP, but it might not, suggestions are great, but lets not say 'THIS IS THE GREATEST' as it might not be for their tonal goals. Not everyone cries about weight!

If the BF cabs are your favourite, and you are posting about them, why dont you own one?!

Play nice...:)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1097293' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:40 AM']I'd agree with that, the BigOne requires big big power to get it to really be hugely loud. 500watts is not going to make it break a sweat....

Thing is, it can handle that massive power. Unlike anything else I've heard.

So its really not very efficient, but goes VERY deep (far deeper than anything else I've ever heard), and given a huge dose of power will happily get very very loud.

It sounds gorgeous though.

The Super12 is far more efficient, though not as deep. Very punchy (will take eq'ed in beef happily at gig volumes) - sounds lovely, but different to the BigOne.[/quote]
Yes, I'm afraid the Big One laughed at my Eden :lol: . The sheer quality and depth of the bass output was staggeringly seductive though. The Super Twelve is a much better compromise for me - I love the Eden tone (some would say lack of it :) :)) , and the Super Twelve still brings it out, but gives the amp an easy ride. It's a more forward sound than the Big One, but in comparison with other cabs it still pumps out oodles of quality bass end, with a punchy sound as 51m0n said. It's got that plug-in, start playing and stop worrying/gassing/pining quality.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1097445' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:14 PM']Oh heck this topic is best 2x12 which is subjective! Lets not turn this into yet another basschat BF vs everything else thread. The BF 2x12 might be right for the OP, but it might not, suggestions are great, but lets not say 'THIS IS THE GREATEST' as it might not be for their tonal goals. Not everyone cries about weight!

If the BF cabs are your favourite, and you are posting about them, why dont you own one?!

Play nice...:)[/quote]
This ^^^

[quote name='clauster' post='1097462' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:22 PM']It might not (or indeed might) be the cab for the OP, but the more I hear about it, the more I think the BF 212 is the cab for me. Or the Matamp 2X12. Or...... etc etc.

Bu88er![/quote]

Here we go. Case in point. Do less hearing about. Do more test driving and hear the things for yourself!

Edited by EBS_freak

I dont own a BF product since I already owned my Berg ae410 when I first heard about them. There is no compelling reason to me for trading across to a BF from that cab.

If I won the lottery I'd be getting a BF212, Berg212 and a BF BigOne, since they are all on my would have if I could have list (as well as the rest of the Berg range). Not a lot else is on that list, by the way.

So having spent a fair amount of time listening to and comparing BF cabs I think I can comment on them fairly accurately. Happy to be corrected by ALex if I get something wrong though.

I would urge anyone looking into 212 cabs to try and give a Super12 a go, they are really good. Whether they will be definitely the cab you want is unanswerable by any but the asker. So get out and try some!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1097501' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:45 PM']Yes indeed. Have you tried a Super Twelve?

:)[/quote]

I haven't but after trying the compact i decided that Barefaced wasn't for me

Edited by sk8

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1097501' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:45 PM']Yes indeed. Have you tried a Super Twelve?

:)[/quote]

No, not as yet, but the same reasons as Sk8. I would be willing to try one out if I was guaranteed I could sell it on and the BF brand was still going strong in 4-6 years (not saying it wont be!) and that it has the aesthetics and 'finishing' that's on my others cabs.

I am a very vain person. Hahah.

This is going way off topic!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1097481' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:34 PM']Here we go. Case in point. Do less hearing about. Do more test driving and hear the things for yourself![/quote]

There's the problem: The two at the top of my list, I can't just go to a shop and audition.

I could go on the travelling super twelve list (if there is a super twelve doing the rounds) but don't want to do that until I've got the head I want. Realistically I'm not going to get the Matamp as it will just give me GAS for a matching GT200.

[quote name='clauster' post='1097644' date='Jan 21 2011, 03:19 PM']There's the problem: The two at the top of my list, I can't just go to a shop and audition.

I could go on the travelling super twelve list (if there is a super twelve doing the rounds) but don't want to do that until I've got the head I want. Realistically I'm not going to get the Matamp as it will just give me GAS for a matching GT200.[/quote]

Matamp and BF are VERY different.

If you want the whole Matamp/tube vibe, go for it with Matamp....im sure they will do you a deal on the amp and cabinet.

I would realy love to try a Supertwelve T not just due to all the great compliments it has been recieving from most BC'ers but also because i believe it's the only 2x12" in the world able to get the full power out of my amp! And it's light!!!
If Alex would ever consider an international tour i'll be first on the list! If not i'll have to go mad and order one blindfolded!

I have to agree with Musicman20 on the looks though. A nice old school tolex cover to go with that silver grill cloth would look awesome. This is from the pics i've been seeing on the web, nowadays Alex could have a refined paint job and fittings on them and got them to look more like the big manufacturer ones :) - some up-to-date pics would be helpfull!

Of course the sound will always be the main thing that mathers... but don't forget that we also buy with our eyes!

No matter what way you look at it, the Barefaced cabs all have higher specification, more expensive, and superior performing drivers than any others. The cabinets are properly engineered too.

Unless you prefer the sound of inferior drivers breaking up (which is great on guitar amps) and some bass players do like that sound, that should be a big factor in your choosing process.

However, you only have to read a few threads on basschat to see that most player buy cabs based on looks. (Cue replies denying this) :)

Frank.