Why become a member? ×

A Bass For Life ?

Soliloquy

I just became the owner of the most fantastic Overwater bass.

This bass looks superb, and more importantly plays and sounds fantastic. Now it's only just 18 months old, and I appear to be the fifth owner. Which I find really bizarre. It must have cost the original owner very nearly £3000.

I can understand why a couple of the owners would sell it on, hand issues etc. A 6 string bass can be a bit awkward, and can aggravate any injuries.

But you do see quite a few custom made instruments coming up for sale. These instruments originally cost thousands of pounds to buy.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1095425' date='Jan 19 2011, 05:57 PM']Why do people spend thousands on custom made basses, then sell them?

Cos they end up at the pub/round a mates/in a music shop, pick up a Fender Precision and realise that the humble P-Bass is the one true bass.

Simples :)[/quote]
+ 1 :lol: :)

I'm the proud owner of a Shuker that was made for the late Si Cox (OldGit) - it's a £2,000+ bass and I got it for less than a grand in unplayed condition. My guess is that people sell them because they don't like them when they're finished, simple as that. I wouldn't know where to start ordering ans specc'ing a custom bass and would probably end up with a monstrosity I don't like whereas I can go into a store, pick up a bass and if I like it, buy it or put it back on the hanger if I don't. Can't really do that with a custom bass.

It could be that when deciding on the make up of the instrument the buyers may try and make it 'a bass for every occasion' and in doing so make it a jack of all trades but master of none. How many times have we read things like, "How close to a P bass does a J sound?" and similar in the hope that one bass will do it all?

Lozz196's comment also has a lot of truth in it. A friend of mine who has played a P and a Ray for over 20 years had a 5 string Bernie Goodfellow made. Marvellous p/ups and EQ, piezo, and pretty as a picture. He hardly ever plays it because it isn't his P or Ray.

I'm not saying this why all custom basses fall out of favour, just a potential reasons. Only those who have owned and sold on a custom instruments can tell you their particular reasons. I would certainly like to hear them.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1095424' date='Jan 19 2011, 05:56 PM']I haven't a clue either, but it gives the rest of us the chance to buy fantastic basses at a great prices!![/quote]

That's kind of what Chris May said to me earlier :).

He also said that if the people who buy these basses didn't buy the bass, then it'd probably be a Harley Davidson :).

Some good responses above and I firmly believe the answer lies within a combination of all of those responses.

Ordering and buying a custom bass is not like pimping an existing one. You have to spec everything to the luthier, and that is an awful lot of tech knowledge to possess and pass on. How many can actually state exactly what it is they want out of a bass, from woods to cuts of wood to finishes to hardware and then electrics. That is an awful lot if info to posses and to pass on, creating what is effectively a shopping list to someone who can create exactly what is asked of them.

My guess is that folks ask for what they 'think' will be their Nirvana, but actually ends up being 'just another bass' allbeit a very expensive one that triggers a massive slab of guilt that gnaws away at them for the expense! Then their brain kicks in and tells them its not Nirvana and it was very expnsive, and hence they can recoup some of that by selling it.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1095465' date='Jan 19 2011, 06:37 PM']I'm the proud owner of a Shuker that was made for the late Si Cox (OldGit)[/quote]

Jeez - I've only really just come back to BC after a bit of a sabbatical - I didn't know about this. I've just done a search and seen the threads. Although it has all been said before, I had a few PMs with Si here and there and he seemed a thoroughly top bloke. He will be sorely missed.

Enjoy that bass NGH - it always looked a beauty to me and I always intended - should I ever win the lottery - to ask Jon to "make me one just like OldGit's". Should the unlikely good fortune ever happen, I'll definitely do it now!

Sorry to hijack the thread.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1095606' date='Jan 19 2011, 08:25 PM']Some good responses above and I firmly believe the answer lies within a combination of all of those responses.

Ordering and buying a custom bass is not like pimping an existing one. You have to spec everything to the luthier, and that is an awful lot of tech knowledge to possess and pass on. How many can actually state exactly what it is they want out of a bass, from woods to cuts of wood to finishes to hardware and then electrics. That is an awful lot if info to posses and to pass on, creating what is effectively a shopping list to someone who can create exactly what is asked of them.

My guess is that folks ask for what they 'think' will be their Nirvana, but actually ends up being 'just another bass' allbeit a very expensive one that triggers a massive slab of guilt that gnaws away at them for the expense! Then their brain kicks in and tells them its not Nirvana and it was very expnsive, and hence they can recoup some of that by selling it.[/quote]

That's why I went for a Sei bass - I couldn't be happier with it because I knew exactly what I wanted when I ordered it - every time I pick it up to play it gives me extreme satisfaction and every time I gig it, it sounds fantastic and pretty much always gets complimented on its sound and looks. Ordering a custom instrument because other people have them and you think you should have one is not, for me the point of owning or ordering one, I played the same Warwick Thumb 1990 original for 18 years - by the time I ordered my firrst Sei (my Jazz is pretty awesome as well) I was heartily sick of my Thumb; it's sound was great but its weight, and feel (the neck needed a lot of work doing to it through wear and tear) and I'd already pimped the hell out of it - getting my Sei single cut was the start of the rest of my bass playing life and three years after first getting the bass its sounding sweeter and playing better than ever: I love it.

Sorry but some of us [i]have[/i] reached the point where we know what we want from an instrument and it's a nice place to be - I'm not saying there aren't thousands of other wonderful instruments (in fact there are too many wonderful instruments) out there or judging anyone else's tatstes, I just don't have the time, energy or money to keep changing my mind - I'm very happy with my basses and so I can just concentrate on making music and being the best 'me' that I can be on MY bass. If you're still not sure what you want from a bass, or know how much you will use it, then it's probably not the time in your life to go spending 3K++ on an instrument - at some point you might be - until then patience is a virtue :)

Mike

I commissioned the bass to end all basses. It arrived and I tried to love it for 3 years. I sold it at a beefy loss. There was lots I liked about it. It was extraordinarily well put together and a thing of beauty, but ultimately I just did not connect with it. Live and learn.

[quote name='urb' post='1096741' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:21 PM']Sorry but some of us [i]have[/i] reached the point where we know what we want from an instrument and it's a nice place to be - I'm not saying there aren't thousands of other wonderful instruments (in fact there are too many wonderful instruments) out there or judging anyone else's tatstes, I just don't have the time, energy or money to keep changing my mind - I'm very happy with my basses and so I can just concentrate on making music and being the best 'me' that I can be on MY bass. If you're still not sure what you want from a bass, or know how much you will use it, then it's probably not the time in your life to go spending 3K++ on an instrument - at some point you might be - until then patience is a virtue :)

Mike[/quote]

Mike, I didn't say that no-one had that knowledge, but I would suggest that you are in a minority.

It makes me pleased to know that there are some that have ordered high spec and cost basses and are utterly besotted with them. I'm like that with my PRSs - not everyone's cup of tea but to me they are wonderful, and I feel very lucky to be allowed to play and own them.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1095425' date='Jan 19 2011, 05:57 PM']Why do people spend thousands on custom made basses, then sell them?

Cos they end up at the pub/round a mates/in a music shop, pick up a Fender Precision and realise that the humble P-Bass is the one true bass.

Simples :)[/quote]

I have to say I pretty much agree with the above. After years and years of craving custom built basses by various builders I finally managed to own and play a few over the last couple of years.

I didn't order them myself and got them for less than 50% of their original value and thought they would be the holy grail and all I would ever need. Yes they were immaculately built and used some fancy woods (which I am a sucker for) but they sounded no better than basses I had owned that cost half the price.

In the end I sold a 'custom built' bass as I needed to raise some funds and ended up with a good old Fender USA Jazz and £300 in my pocket. I can hand on my heart say the build quality is equally as good as the custom, its plays equally as well, sounds better and to be honest in a few years it will probably be worth more secondhand than the custom.

I have always been a Jazz kinda chap and I have played several Jazz type basses from uk and USA luthiers and although in my heart I would like to have something built for me, my brain would overide it and I would never do it because of the risk and the rediculous drop in value.

I know it is different for folks who want a bass without traditional styling shall we say, but I could probably buy a Fender and pimp the hell out of it and get exactly the same as what I would order from a custom builder for a fraction of the cost.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1096760' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:38 PM']Mike, I didn't say that no-one had that knowledge, but I would suggest that you are in a minority.

It makes me pleased to know that there are some that have ordered high spec and cost basses and are utterly besotted with them. I'm like that with my PRSs - not everyone's cup of tea but to me they are wonderful, and I feel very lucky to be allowed to play and own them.[/quote]

Sorry yes - I was perhaps over egging my current state of wedded bass bliss, apologies for the ego-munguss opinionating :) - and likewise I feel very lucky to own the instruments I do - your earlier comment re cost and guilt is a biggie though and for all happiness my gear brings me if I really had to part with it, like HAD to, then I would sell - but I'm hoping that my various skills to pay them never ending bills will be enough to keep the wolf from the door - so far so good!

[quote name='urb' post='1096805' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:57 PM'].... your earlier comment re cost and guilt is a biggie though and for all happiness my gear brings me if I really had to part with it, like HAD to, then I would sell - but I'm hoping that my various skills to pay them never ending bills will be enough to keep the wolf from the door - so far so good![/quote]

You and me both my friend - you and me both!

I think part of it is more about people trying to reinvent the wheel. Most custom builders have a sort of standard model that you can try and then modify that to your personal taste ie say having a preferred make of pup or bridge etc that you know from a previous bass you will like. For example if I tried a gb spitfire, shucker jazz, overwater jazz etc until I found my favourite then transplanted all the hardware from my modded jazz onto a nice custom body and neck instead of the Squier ones I'm sure I would love it!

I don't think urb is in the minority either as there are lots of satisfied customers who know what they want and hold onto them so we just don't see them for sale.

Without wanting to turn this thread into why do people order a custom bass thread..... some people cant get what they need from a conventional bass maker. I needed a 7 string left handed bass. I am sure people will argue the usual: Jaco, macca etc etc only needed four strings.... Well good for them but i need 7 to achieve what i am aiming for. Nothing wrong with 4 strings, nothing wrong with 104 strings as far as i am concerned.

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1097011' date='Jan 21 2011, 12:04 AM']Without wanting to turn this thread into why do people order a custom bass thread..... some people cant get what they need from a conventional bass maker. I needed a 7 string left handed bass. I am sure people will argue the usual: Jaco, macca etc etc only needed four strings.... Well good for them but i need 7 to achieve what i am aiming for. Nothing wrong with 4 strings, nothing wrong with 104 strings as far as i am concerned.[/quote]

I think my next bass may be a 7 string, though I want a fretless 6 too. Both will be Overwaters though.

I know why people order custom basses, all of mine are 'custom' basses. I just find it odd that someone orders one, and then sells it almost straight away.

I disagree about the mass produced instruments being the same, because they aren't. I've played hundreds of basses, and no mass produced bass compares with a hand crafted instrument. And there's no way I could use a P bass to cover what I do, it simply wouldn't work.

I think the last two posts, about what is needed, is spot on. If you can`t get what you need from the regular makes and models out there, a custom job is the only option.

It`s probably why I play P-Basses though, as, aside from one song in our set, I never touch the G-string at all, so if we dropped that, I could quite easily use a bass with 3 strings only - for my band that is.

I think some people order a custom basses wanting something that feels and sounds exactly like their old favourite bass but better in some magical way, which is very hard to achieve.

Or they're expecting their new custom bass to be versatile enough to cover the sounds of a Jazz, Precision, Stingray, Warwick, etc or to sound like all their favourite players which just isn't going to happen.

I knew exactly what I wanted when I ordered my basses but when they arrived I still ended up making a couple of adjustments to get exactly the sound I was after (single piece bridges instead of monorails), but then I'm not trying to sound like anyone else. I've got basses that sound and feel perfect even though the body shape looks a little wonky to me I'm not intending to ever swap them for anything else.

Yeh I agree, a lot of people want something that isn't available off the shelf. It's amazing to think of a boutique instrument coming together slowly in a workshop under meticulous attention to detail. Also, some of the timbers that luthiers use are stunning and really well prepared.

I suspect the selling of high end gear is often down to G.A.S. That and the fact that even though an instrument may look stunning, sometimes the sound may not be right. I think it's so easy to buy with your eyes when there are such pretty basses around, but then we all play with our ears so that probably creeps in over time!

The other thing is - IME - that until you get out gigging with an instrument you don't know really how well it suits you and how well it fits the context of the band as you'd like it to. I've gone through a few basses due to this, and sold some amazing kit. And my fav bass is from the other end of the spectrum relatively cheap and far from exotic timbers but it works amazingly.

It's the same with vintage fenders etc, they all get sold and acquired for one reason or another. I'd like to think all instruments end up with the right owner eventually !