Why become a member? ×

Best Active Bass For £250??

bkman42

[quote name='bkman42' post='1095320' date='Jan 19 2011, 04:12 PM']I know it ain't much money but whats the best 4 string active bass out there for a budget of £250?

Brian[/quote]

Bit of a limited range in that price bracket.
Take a look at the Ibanez SR300 - they're coming in at around £250 at the moment...

Warwick rockbass corvette, I absolutely adore mine, slapable and a nice variety of tone. I can't find fault with it, and you can pick them up for £170 or there abouts.

Some think they don't look amazing, but I disagree because it's comfortable and the blue and natural look very nice to me. Plus they don't just chew on their batteries, mine's quite reserved there, but roars when you plug it in.

I would recommend getting an used [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_vint_mod_jazz_nt.htm"]Vintage modified Jazzbass[/url].
these are awesome instruments for their money, maybe this sound will fit your needs without a preamp.
give them a try, they are in my opinion the best low budget basses out there.
If you still want an active one, you will have money left from the 250 gbp and you can spent it for a) an used onboard preamp (audere,j-retro etc)
or better b ) bying an outboard preamp, so you do not have to change your bass and if your sound preferences are changing you just change the outboard pedal.

why are you looking for especially an active bass?

Edited by 73Jazz

I would recommend traben basses. i have one. cost around 250. they have loads of different styles and the bigger bridge, bigger tone thing isnt a cheap marketing ploy. i have a traben array attack 4 string, it sounds really meaty and weighs next to nothing, and it looks more expensive than it is.

I saw i BGM a review of a bass by kramer, it had an EMG musicman humbucker and 2 band EQ with a seperate piezo slightly out of budget at about £350 ish but a hell of a lot of bass for the money, you may get one cheaper if you wave some notes about or look for one used, but for £250 you,d be as well off getting a squire CV and getting a used circuit on here, theres always a couple floating about!

[quote name='Stewart' post='1095696' date='Jan 19 2011, 09:35 PM']There's a Japanese Bass Collection for sale here somewhere - if it's anything like my 5 string, that would be a good bet[/quote]

Yes good call, I sold my SB320 in trans green for £250 which as anyone who has seen one in the flesh knows is criminal as it was a £749 bass at one time (I clearly remember one the same in PeteAcademys shop for that price back in the day maybe 98') I paid £450 for mine with a hang tag of £550 the year before.
The problem is that they are easily confused with the later version of the original and the new ones out now that are not even in the same league. Lots of bc members that wish they had kept them I'm slowly becoming one!

[quote name='bkman42' post='1095320' date='Jan 19 2011, 04:12 PM']I know it ain't much money but whats the best 4 string active bass out there for a budget of £250?

Brian[/quote]

Best best... not sure it's the best, but I have an old style Ibanez SR400 (PJ configuration with covered polepieces, powerful 3 band EQ), black with black hardware, rosewood fingerboard on a very slim neck and for strings... DR Black Beauties. Can't get much blacker than that! ;-)
edit: not DR Black Beauties, my mistake, on this one it's Rotosound Nexus (also black coated).

I barely use it, as Stingray type basses took over my life a couple of years ago, and have been thinking of selling it for a while but never got around to.
Let me know if you want to know more and I'll post pictures etc. I'd be looking to get about £150 for it (plus postage if it applies).

Edited by mcnach

The Ibanez basses all tend to play well, I found the tone on my SR500 and the others that I tried a little bit dark for my liking but great if that's your thing.
Personally if I was after a versatile-sounding bass with a modern active vibe then I'd definitely go for the Yamaha RBX374. An old teacher of mine had one for students to use, and I remember being really impressed. It was good enough that he'd often gig it if he fancied playing a 4-string, since his main bass was a 5er. Solid, thick lows and decent upper-mid bite. I still quite fancy one.

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1095581' date='Jan 19 2011, 08:08 PM']I would recommend traben basses. i have one. cost around 250. they have loads of different styles and the bigger bridge, bigger tone thing isnt a cheap marketing ploy. i have a traben array attack 4 string, it sounds really meaty and weighs next to nothing, and it looks more expensive than it is.[/quote]

+1 My old traben Neo Limited had a fantastic EQ range and was really punchy with some great tones.

If you are talking 'new' then the latest Bass Collection Jive (J) and Power (P) basses look to have good reviews and look tasty into the bargain!

<edit> just realised that they are £249 - £349 (depending on model and colour) so you could afford one but I wonder if cash could loosen that price a tad especially in the present economic climate and maybe you could get one of the better models.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1096508' date='Jan 20 2011, 04:13 PM']If you are talking 'new' then the latest Bass Collection Jive (J) and Power (P) basses look to have good reviews and look tasty into the bargain!

<edit> just realised that they are £249 - £349 (depending on model and colour) so you could afford one but I wonder if cash could loosen that price a tad especially in the present economic climate and maybe you could get one of the better models.[/quote]

Ooops! Just realised that even though it has EMGs they are passive! :)