Why become a member? ×

Jazz vs Precision sound - what's the difference

Fat Rich

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331892620' post='1580409']
Why do we have to be lager and lime? It's a bit fey.

Could we not be a nice crisp cider?
[/quote]

Well that would take a hugely successful modern advertising campaign (thinking of M8gners) to do that.

• 3 months later...

part of my love/hate with jazzes went like this. I would love playing it, both pups on, one slightly backed off.... if it was something a bit funky and I wanted to sit higher in the mix I would back off the neck a bit. If it was something more rock and I wanted to sit elsewhere in the mix I would back off the bridge a bit.
Eventually while playing I would begin to really miss something in the tone, something missing... ahh the mids, and they would come back as I rolled the bridge pickup off.
Eventually I had a lovely jazz bass that I only used the neck pickup on, and then I picked up my P bass and sold the jazz.
the moral of that story is.... well I'm still probably try and buy a jazz every so often!

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1341925839' post='1726280']
Always thought P's reminded me of wood/oak and Jazzes reminded me of iron/steel. Not the sound.... but impact.. if that makes sense.

[/quote]

Can't say I've ever been hit with a bass, there are probably a few drummers who could back up your findings :lol:

I saw a video where someone (I think it might have been official Fender marketing) explained that a Precision was like a punch in the gob, whereas a Jazz was a slap on the cheek.

Presumably that makes a Thunderbird a boot in the bollocks.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1341931755' post='1726408']
I saw a video where someone (I think it might have been official Fender marketing) explained that a Precision was like a punch in the gob, whereas a Jazz was a slap on the cheek.

Presumably that makes a Thunderbird a boot in the bollocks.
[/quote]

And a telecaster is like a face full of gnats.

I've got a decent rig so it'll sound awesome and all the records I've heard with a p-bass bass on it sounds in my mind exactly how a bass should sound.

:) :) :) :) :)

This is the truest thing anyone has ever said on here.

That, and Jazz basses are for girls and blokes with little boys hands :D

I'm a relatively recent convert to Precisions. I found the bridge pickup on Jazz's unusable in a band setting (unless soloing), and exclusively used the front pup. Even when I had a hybrid I found myself forgetting that the bridge pup was even there.

P Bass, tone wide open - does everything I ask of it.

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1341949099' post='1726951']
I'm a relatively recent convert to Precisions. I found the bridge pickup on Jazz's unusable in a band setting (unless soloing), and exclusively used the front pup. Even when I had a hybrid I found myself forgetting that the bridge pup was even there.

P Bass, tone wide open - does everything I ask of it.
[/quote]

To be perfectly serious, when I chat to a studio engineer mate of mine about bass sounds, he agrees when I say IMHO most people have deep seated love of their favourite songs of the past, 1960s songs especially, and I bet most of the basslines were played on a precision, giving a kind of warm, 'yes thats what I expect a bass to sound like' recognition when they hear it again, possibly subconsciously. Or maybe i'm talking complete and utter BS, only you can decide, but its what I think.

[quote name='Tankdave' timestamp='1341955069' post='1727105']
Jazz = more variations in tone = more nasty tones = be carefull = OK in the end
[/quote]

I keep selling them but I never once found a tone I would call nasty, theres only 3 knobs!