Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Musicman Gamechanger now a reality

Musicman20

I didn't spend too much time going through the video but the gist of it seemed to be that you can get every sound you would ever need on one bass.

For a pro session guy that's a probably a very good idea.

Too sensible for me though.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='TomKent' post='1092042' date='Jan 17 2011, 12:14 AM']So it's like the Variax with more options? I'd really rather take three or four basses to a session than one of these, as revolutionary and technologically groundbreaking as it is.. I don't like the look of it haha.[/quote]

Not really like the Variax, this is an electronic switching system for conventional pickups but still using the analogue output.
The Variax uses individual piezo pickups on each string and from then on is fully digital, using modeling algorithms to mimic the behaviour of different pickup configurations basically like a very advanced FX unit. The Variax doesn't suffer the limitations of the Gamechanger, which although versatile will still ultimately be limited by pickup placement and construction. The limitations suffered by the Variax are instead that it's digital and a little bit s**t :)
So the Gamechanger's not digital and may well not be s**t but ultimately, if you want a particular sound on a session/gig corresponding to this or that 'classic' bass I suspect you're going to be better off taking that bass as this isn't going to be able to replicate it unless it shares identical pickup placement/design.

[quote name='TomKent' post='1092042' date='Jan 17 2011, 12:14 AM']So it's like the Variax with more options? I'd really rather take three or four basses to a session than one of these, as revolutionary and technologically groundbreaking as it is.. I don't like the look of it haha.[/quote]
It is nothing at all even minisculely related to the technology in a Variax.

The GC is simply a pickup switching system. In some respects it's more like the Enfield pickup system, except this uses a matrix that generates nearly 9 million options. The variables in your active bass combined with a complex outboard preamp section is probably not far off that level, except the controls are rotary, whereas the GC is mostly switched and are related to pickup coil and switching combinations.

I think some people find the concept scary without realising they probably have that many tonal options already. I know my J Retro Deluxe pre is capable of f***ing thousands of very subtle changes to the tone. However, having the ability to store my best settings would be ace which it can't do. The GC can.

I don't really get on with MM basses myself, but they make really good stuff. A nice way of way of moving the design of the electric guitar while making it appear user friendly. Personally one of the best things I like about guitars is the natural character or identity they tend to have (ie the Jazz/P bass or Tele/SG differences). This will be a great studio and live instrument for sure though. Not my thing however.

I'm really enjoying the Youtube video though, you can tell they are really proud of it, as they should be.

Without all the gimmickery though, I think that its one of the best looking MM basses they have made, especially the double humbucker model.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='1092981' date='Jan 17 2011, 07:25 PM']I reckon a lot of the sounds will have subtle differences and in a live situation you won't hear the differences between a lot of them. I bet you could count the number of decent tones you can get out of it on one hand. Another post-NAMM gimmick![/quote]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1093211' date='Jan 17 2011, 10:20 PM']Yeah I love all those pearls of wisdom the pros give us. Then proceed to try and promote the latest signature model they have spent weeks deciding which way the grain should go for the best tone etc. :)[/quote]

XD fair point! I thought it was a bit hypocritical considering his signature has 3 different types of wood in and around the body!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1092071' date='Jan 17 2011, 01:02 AM']Not really like the Variax[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' post='1092798' date='Jan 17 2011, 05:30 PM']It is nothing at all even minisculely related to the technology in a Variax.[/quote]

Didn't mean technologically wise, just meant 'lots of sounds in a box' wise. :)

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='1092981' date='Jan 17 2011, 07:25 PM']I reckon a lot of the sounds will have subtle differences and in a live situation you won't hear the differences between a lot of them. I bet you could count the number of decent tones you can get out of it on one hand. Another post-NAMM gimmick![/quote]
Mmm, I bet you wear very comfortable shoes.

All far too complicated for a yokel like me. I'm still struggling to figure out how to put new batteries in this 'ere wireless mouse.

Is it me or do wireless mice just look wrong? Having no wire their tail isn't there

Edited by Marvin

What they should do is licence this technology out. Then we don't have to play one of those horrible MusicMan basses. We can have any kind of bass we want, ANYTHING! A bass that looks COOL! Made out of anything, and dial in the sounds we want. No more pissing about, and no arguments about a P Bass sounding like Guinness and a Jass Bass like bloody lager and lime.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1089147' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:49 AM']Lord, yes. I'd sell my first-born for an ACG preamp with recallable presets. :)[/quote]
This should be well possible. Why not suggest it to Mr. East? I doubt it is even as hard as you might think. A few digital pots and a tiny micro or fpga would do it.

I've seen a fair few things in the last 5 years I've been playing trying to push stuff forward.

Some stuff, class D amps for instance are amazing and work really well,
others, variax, gibson's robo tuner - less well.

One thing I have observed is that all the best things use new technology to open out whats already there.... this game changer (isn't really a game changer, just a sophisticated version of the enfield thing) works because it doesn't mess with the signal path at all.

compared to line 6 or gibson this is really really great.

BUT- not of much practical use to bass players in the same way it will be to guitarists. on the bass.... im not sure it's worth it, a great preamp would possibly be a better thing to stick in.

Well, you've got a selection of active and passive tones available, 5 of each that you pre-program in for use, giving 10 that are stored at any one time.

Sure, a lot of the sounds will have only subtle differences. As far as hearing the difference in a live situation, I don't doubt it, but be honest, in a live situation, how many of your average punters can tell the difference between one bass and the other?

[quote name='Marvin' post='1093265' date='Jan 17 2011, 10:57 PM']All far too complicated for a yokel like me. I'm still struggling to figure out how to put new batteries in this 'ere wireless mouse.

Is it me or do wireless mice just look wrong? Having no wire their tail isn't there[/quote]

Wireless mice are just wrong, nothing to swing them by. I reckon it will be as difficult as getting photos from a digital camera.

[quote name='TomKent' post='1093281' date='Jan 17 2011, 11:08 PM']I think there's a thing you can fit in Strats which is a mini computer, makes your tone 'super phat'. My luthier mentioned it ages ago.

Maybe this uses the same sort of technology? He said it was literally a mini computer haha.[/quote]

In some ways it's similar to a computer. My understanding of it is that it's a microprocessor based switching system, but switching is all it does at the moment, the signal path is not affected by the GC.