Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Musicman Gamechanger now a reality

Musicman20

Yes, I know I seem to like everything they come out with, but Ive been seriously impressed by EBMMs since I started playing bass. The Stingray was my dream bass when I was 14 years old.

Here is their new revolutionary idea:

[url="http://gamechanger.music-man.com/"]http://gamechanger.music-man.com/[/url]

If you are interested, you need a good hour to sit and watch the videos and read the schematics.

The upcharge for this function. is much more affordable than you think. The bass basically looks exactly the same bar an extra input and a toggle switch. Subtle.

Forget the Line 6 Variax and the Gibson Firebird X! They are nothing like this...at all.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Wil' post='1089029' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:34 AM']I'm not sure I quite understand it. There's no quick reference or explaination as to what the system does anywhere that I can find, is it just a way of combining individual pickup coils and series/parallel settings?[/quote]

I allows complete control. Active/passive, series, parallel, different coil combinations, phasing (I think) and im sure some other options. I havent seen the maths, but thats literally thousands/millions of combinations depending on how many coils you have.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1089037' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:40 AM']I allows complete control. Active/passive, series, parallel, different coil combinations, phasing (I think) and im sure some other options. I havent seen the maths, but thats literally thousands/millions of combinations depending on how many coils you have.[/quote]

Pretty impressive, but I can't help but think that would drive me nuts! I'd rather just have two or three quite different options with a way of blending them and a good preamp I think.

[quote name='Wil' post='1089078' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:08 AM']Pretty impressive, but I can't help but think that would drive me nuts! I'd rather just have two or three quite different options with a way of blending them and a good preamp I think.[/quote]

Here HERE!! We are bassists not synth players, sod that!

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='1089118' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:29 AM']Great idea, but too complicated![/quote]

I'll expand on that...

Great idea for in the studio
Too Complicated for live

However...

Combine it with an acg EQ02 circuit for true insanity

[quote name='NJE' post='1089132' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:39 AM']How many people really need 8 million bass sounds?[/quote]

Hhaha, well point taken. I used to be a set and forget P bass guy, but the Big Al has changed all of that.

I agree, some companies add bits to basses that arent necessary, but Ive never had an EBMM bass that didnt have a cool feature. They do seem to be very 'tone' centred in their designs.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1089111' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:23 AM']Here HERE!! We are bassists not synth players, sod that![/quote]

It's not a synth module, it's a switching system.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='1089118' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:29 AM']Great idea, but too complicated![/quote]

I'd say it's considerably less complicated than even the simplest computer, but we still manage to use those.

[quote name='charic' post='1089128' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:36 AM']I'll expand on that...

Great idea for in the studio
Too Complicated for live

However...

Combine it with an acg EQ02 circuit for true insanity[/quote]

Once you've found some sounds that work for you it's all controlled by a simple five-way switch.

I like the concept and I quite like EBMM as well, so I suppose I'll get labelled as a fanboy. A lot of people are instantly writing it off, without even trying it out, which I think is wrong.

Agh too much choice! I'm perhaps in a minority here but what I like about Stingrays is just how usable a single H pickup and 2/3 band EQ preamp can be. I don't care about how a pickup is phased just as long as it sounds good, I think I'd go nuts with electronics like that in one of my basses or guitars.

[quote name='risingson' post='1089177' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:03 PM']Agh too much choice! I'm perhaps in a minority here but what I like about Stingrays is just how usable a single H pickup and 2/3 band EQ preamp can be. I don't care about how a pickup is phased just as long as it sounds good, I think I'd go nuts with electronics like that in one of my basses or guitars.[/quote]

Dont get me wrong, a 2 band Ray single H can cover a LOT. I agree. I just like to have flexibility on one of two of my instruments.

I just remember that when I had a BC Rich Mockingbird that had multiple pickup switching options for phase, series/parallel etc etc, I spent ages finding the tone closest to what I heard in my head and then left all those switches alone for good!

My ideal scenario is for the bass to have a great core sound out of the box, with a few options to tweak low end, mids and treble for the room and maybe pan from neck to bridge for pick/fingerstyle. That's all you need.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1089179' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:05 PM']Dont get me wrong, a 2 band Ray single H can cover a LOT. I agree. I just like to have flexibility on one of two of my instruments.[/quote]

I've enjoyed seeing EBMM release some really interesting stuff over the past few years, a lot of it really not to my taste but they are at least propelling themselves along with great new products. I can't help feeling however like they might have taken what I like about the brand away with this concept, it reminds me of what Gibson are trying to do with their guitars at the moment by adding all sorts of gimmickry and I'm not keen on that either.

I'll still make sure to try them out when they come out though, no point damning a whole idea when you haven't even tried the product. :)

I'd say, the concept is appealing of course as a toy we'd all want to own one, but... the reality is grim: every sound man and studio producer is going to hate you. Chances are if you are a working musicians, and if you sit there in a session with your iPhone / iPad or other android device connected to your bass trying to download sounds which you liked at home but now they don't sound too clever in studio, you are at risk of pissing off every bloke in your band and probably will get fired in the long run for spending too much time faaakin' about with your new toy rather than making music as you are expected to.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1089192' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:15 PM']I'd say, the concept is appealing of course as a toy we'd all want to own one, but... the reality is grim: every sound man and studio producer is going to hate you. Chances are if you are a working musicians, and if you sit there in a session with your iPhone / iPad or other android device connected to your bass trying to download sounds which you liked at home but now they don't sound too clever in studio, you are at risk of pissing off every bloke in your band and probably will get fired in the long run for spending too much time faaakin' about with your new toy rather than making music as you are expected to.[/quote]

How on earth can you possibly say that Fran?

It's like saying that you liked the sound of your Dingwall at home, but then got to the studio and it didn't sound as good. You'd really be in trouble then though, because you couldn't even go onto the 'net to download any more presets, you'd have to go home to get another bass.

[quote name='jimmyb625' post='1089200' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:20 PM']How on earth can you possibly say that Fran?

It's like saying that you liked the sound of your Dingwall at home, but then got to the studio and it didn't sound as good. You'd really be in trouble then though, because you couldn't even go onto the 'net to download any more presets, you'd have to go home to get another bass.[/quote]

Ok Jim to me it's simple to explain to you that that was my opinion and to make you understand where I come from with that statement, I'd like to compare this game changer with my last bike before I retired from riding bikes to keep my skin, ok? 1000cc 230bhp and 6 gears but to me all that means nothing. The way I ride it, my bike has only two throttle positions, 1) off and 2) full on.

Otherwise whats the point in having a fast motorbike?

I kinda like the idea, i always like to have one or two gadgety switches on a bass, however i think this may be one of those things which people will buy and never explore it's full potential. Maybe that's the point - having all the options but only using a few you like

Still, there's something about a guitar that plugs into a PC to interface with it's own software that screams "bedroom musician" to me, however unfounded that may be.

[quote name='jimmyb625' post='1089200' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:20 PM']It's like saying that you liked the sound of your Dingwall at home, but then got to the studio and it didn't sound as good. You'd really be in trouble then though, because you couldn't even go onto the 'net to download any more presets, you'd have to go home to get another bass.[/quote]

That's what worries me most, the "it's not doing what i want, quick download a preset!" mentality.
I think if anyone in my band did that they'd get a clip round the ear.

Maybe i should buy a Precision complete with pipe and slippers and have done with it....