brass nut

black walnut body
buckeye burl drop top facing
polyester basecoat
gloss lacquer finish
individual bridge units
gotoh gb707 tuners
bartolini J5 pickups
3 band eq (shuker ) vol, balance, treble, mid, bass, 3 way selector switch for mid freq., internal circuit gain
black hardware

Edited by jayblaze

[quote name='jayblaze' post='1083215' date='Jan 9 2011, 03:28 PM']its for string tension. im dropping the b string down a step

also i have spindle fingers!! so i should be ok[/quote]

I would recommend playing a bass with the same scale length to see if it suits you first. 36" scale is pretty huge.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1085487' date='Jan 11 2011, 01:45 PM']I would recommend playing a bass with the same scale length to see if it suits you first. 36" scale is pretty huge.[/quote]

Definitely, I've just had a 35" made and (wrongly) thought my other basses were 35's. The difference is noticeable, I'd think 36" would feel huge.

I'm surprised so many people think over 34 is too long for comfortable playing, especially considering most DBs are over 39" and generally have a higher action and much higher tension, yet many DB players aren't giants. Yeah I know it's not the same instrument but with the difference in sound a longer scale gives, maybe a different approach is needed, making more use of the good sustain and piano like lows rather than tearing up and down the board. I also find the stretch is less noticeable when you have a range of scale lengths and practice on all of them, building on their own particular strengths. Now I'm off the soap box, looks like it's going to be a really nice bass by the way. :)

[quote name='gilmour' post='1085708' date='Jan 11 2011, 05:56 PM']I play upright as well as electric, I was just a little surprised that 35" felt different.

By no means am I saying the OP shouldn't get a 36" I can really see the logic in it especially if tuning to Bb - just think it's a good idea to try one first.[/quote]
Yeah, s'a fair point - I used to go from DB to fretless Precision and nowadays in my old(er) age I go between the Precision and a 30.5" EB. I try to practice on both and as each has a very different sound and feel it's easy to treat each as a separate entity, almost like a different instrument. I figure if you can keep a sense of seperation you should be able to play any scale within reason. That said, if I had a 36" 5 or 6 all I'd ever do was play the low B :)

[quote name='gilmour' post='1085708' date='Jan 11 2011, 04:56 PM']I play upright as well as electric, I was just a little surprised that 35" felt different.

By no means am I saying the OP shouldn't get a 36" I can really see the logic in it especially if tuning to Bb - just think it's a good idea to try one first.[/quote]

Well if we're speaking logically, shouldn't he just get a fanned fret bass? :)

Si

[quote name='bartelby' post='1086092' date='Jan 11 2011, 09:14 PM']I don't really notice any difference switching between my 35" scale 5 string and my other 34" basses.[/quote]

Body design and the location of the bridge can make a huge difference to that.
Have a look at the RIM basses with the fancy fishtail bout, that moves the bridge to almost behind the bass body, which in turn moves the nut closer to the player.
I've had a shot on a various 35 and 36 inch basses and the biggest stretch I can remember was on a 35 inch Spector, felt like a 40 inch scale because of the bridge location!

Just my 2p :)

Oh and Jon will make you an awesome bass, regardless of the specs.
My other 2p :)

Eude

I had a Dingwall abz five and it was a good bass but I didn't really get on with the angled pickups. Just put my hand in a weird angle. I've only ever had 35" basses and they feel normal to me! I've heard alot about Jon, I'm sure it will be a hog. I believe he's made 36"ers before :-)

[quote name='jayblaze' post='1087537' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:50 AM']I had a Dingwall abz five and it was a good bass but I didn't really get on with the angled pickups. Just put my hand in a weird angle. I've only ever had 35" basses and they feel normal to me! I've heard alot about Jon, I'm sure it will be a hog. I believe he's made 36"ers before :-)[/quote]
It's interesting that you had more of a problem with resting your thumb than you had with the constantly changing angle of the frets. Does Shuker do fanned Frets???

[quote name='henry norton' post='1087592' date='Jan 13 2011, 08:56 AM']It's interesting that you had more of a problem with resting your thumb than you had with the constantly changing angle of the frets. Does Shuker do fanned Frets???[/quote]
Yup :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31247&hl=fanned"]peted's bass[/url]

[quote name='Rich' post='1087948' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:36 PM']Yup :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31247&hl=fanned"]peted's bass[/url]

[/quote]
Cool. No offence to jayblaze but it's refreshing to see a custom build with a maple board and solid colour on the body - especially one that's not a Fender clone. I'm prefer the double cut body shape he's going for though.