Why become a member? ×

Masculine or Femine?

Shambo

I'm verging on offering up my, much loved but, common garden jazz bass for sale on the forum and I was wondering how best to describe it?

It's the second american fender jazz I've owned and probably not the last. A pale gold with a maple board and seems definately femine compared to the first black on rosewood one I started with. Not a workhorse bass that I'd like to beat a disgruntled punter off the stage with but certainly deserving of playing in anyones company. I'll be sorry to see it go... but I want to try a five string and I can't afford both.

I've never gone so far as giving it a name bacause it isn't a Disney movie... but it's most definately femine I think.

Whats your bass? Do you coax it to make the sound you want or bend it to your will? Or am I talking bollocks?

To me the Fender Jazz Bass has a flowing and sensuously curvacious silhouette for the most part whereas the P-Bass has a more utilitarian and masculine profile.

Aren't J's favoured over P's by female bassists due to their more comy body contours and better weight distribution?

Edited by MIJ-VI

[quote name='paul_5' post='1075966' date='Jan 3 2011, 01:11 AM']I used to give my basses male names (Frank, Harold etc...) way back when, but now that they're mainly tools to do a job (in a good way) they're asexual and anonymous.[/quote]
I agree, I see fender basses as the ford transit or makita power drill of bass instruments.

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='1075967' date='Jan 3 2011, 01:12 AM']To me the Fender Jazz Bass has a flowing and sensuously curvacious silhouette for the most part whereas the P-Bass has a more utilitarian and masculine profile.

Aren't J's favoured over P's by female bassists due to their more comy body contours and better weight distribution?[/quote]
I thought female bassists might favour P basses exactly because of their simple utalitarian design, when trying to compete in a mainly masculine pastime... though maybe now I am talking bollocks.

My sunburst Jazz is Bill and the black one is Phil. The Yamaha has always been BeeBee.

Likely to be selling Phil when BeeBee (eventually) returns from surgery.

Oh, and the SWR 4X10 that I have had for 20 years is called Amanda (De Cabinet).

Edited by Heathy

I'd say that they are each individual - some with less character than others , but I do think that some are feminine . Squier '57 Precision Fiesta Red, beautiful curves , nice long neck and elephant ears - deffo female. Aria Sb 600 big ,heavy,brutish , drink you under the table - bloke.

Pal of mine bought his son, (age -27),his 1st guitar for Christmas. Fender Squier Strat(Elecrtric Blue kinda thing - 2 tone sunburst being unavailable)) . Son comes in after 36 hr drinking session to open presents - falls in love with , ahem, "Christine" , stares at her for hours on end , and takes her home to his flat. I'm sure they'll be very happy together.