Why become a member? ×

Metronome !

Bloc Riff Nut

Hello all,

Yesterday during rehearsal the topic of metronomes cropped up. One of our guitarists was having trouble with a particular rhythm/feel and as far as timing goes he started to wander a little.
This is when 'You Should Practice With A Metronome'came up. So I've decided to start using a metronome (my timing is pretty goed, but it can only make your timing better, right).

So my questions to you guys are:- Should I invest in a pendulum type or digital? (Pendulum uses no batteries, but digital is always perfect timing)
Why don't we have a digital pendulum on the forum?

I have no experience with the pendulums so I'm not sure what to look for when buying, your wisdom is much appreciated.

Phil.

Used to use a trad one, and agree it's very pleasant. But now I use only electronic.

Advantage is, you can the volume up and down, depending on whether you're playing electric or acoustic, or to avoid annoying the significant other.

If I'm around a pc, I use a little app called 'fine metronome'.

I've got one of these: [url="http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/guitars-basses/qt2/?mode=model"]http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/guit...qt2/?mode=model[/url] (I notice this particular model is now discontinued, but there may be others with similar features).

As well as a selectable timing 'click' and a beat 'ping', it has a string of LEDs to simulate a pendulum.

I always found the LED 'pendulum' to be more useful because the pings/clicks were too annoying, especially when played at the sort of volumes needed during rehearsals, so we could start with the clicks but maintain time with the LED pendulum.

I've since bought a drum machine and we tend to use that now, since it's less intrusive to run at the volumes needed during rehearsal.

If anyone would like the Yamaha unit I could be open to offers as I don't use it anymore.

Ask yourself, 'what does one have over the other?'

Unless you're a hypnotist, I see very little advantage in the old mechanical type.

Advantages of an electronic:
1. Often have an earphone socket.
2. Often double as a tuner.
3. Often have a volume control.
4. Can be small enough to fit in your gig bag.
5. Often have simple percussion type sounds.
6. Often have quite sophisticated percussion type sounds.
7. Sometimes have simple grooves pre-programmed
8. Sometimes have quite elaborate grooves pre-programmed (can sometimes programme your own grooves)
9. Can be used on a slight incline.
10. Can be used on a boat. :)
10. Can be used on its side. :)
11. Can be used upside down. :lol:
12. Usually has a pretty flashing light(s). :D (actually, know a couple of drummers who use the flashing light to set tempos on gigs.)
13. Won't remind you of your old school music room. :P

[quote name='skej21' post='1075252' date='Jan 2 2011, 02:09 PM']It's all about getting the Boss DB90. All the percussionists/drummers I know use 'em.

However, I still prefer my Wittner. I like the visual aspect.[/quote]
Wow, those Boss units do almost anything. I think they're a little too advanced for my needs. A simple click will suffice, but I will be loading some drum loops onto my i-pod. Always handy.
I think I'll have a look on The Bay for the Wittner type.

I can't believe that there are 16 postings on this thread, and no one has piped up " I never use one, don't see the point, annoying ticking noise would drive me mad". Do a search and you'll see quite a few threads like that lol.

I have 3, an old large clockwork one that I've had for years. I have a nice small 'Witner' one, which is nice. I tend to use that most days. I also have a digital one, that's really accurate, and you can set various rhythms etc. You can also adjust the output volume which is really good. I don't use the large one because the 'ticks' are very loud and quite annoying.

My answer used to be = "I don't use one. I used to be a drummer and my timing is at least as good as any drummer I have played with".

What I have come to realise that I might be less good at is locking in with drummers whose timing isn't spot on and drifts about a bit. There's no point fighting it as you just don't sound tight. I'm not sure what the answer to that is and/or if rigorous metronome / drump-loop training would help...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1076287' date='Jan 3 2011, 02:04 PM']What I have come to realise that I might be less good at is locking in with drummers whose timing isn't spot on and drifts about a bit. There's no point fighting it as you just don't sound tight. I'm not sure what the answer to that is and/or if rigorous metronome / drump-loop training would help...[/quote]

I tend to find that if the drummer in question has a reasonable musical sense and his ears & mind open, it is possible to influence his time for the better if you keep your own timing solid. As you point out, you can't always rely on this though.

Jennifer