Why become a member? ×

60s R&B BASS

bluesman

im really into this music.....listening to the coolest bass grooves that flow from artists such as aretha franklin, donny hathaway, curtis mayfield, the meters ect.....laying down these grooves the likes of jerry jemmott, tommy cogbill, willie weeks, george porter, chuck rainey, james jamerson, tommy mclure....does anyone share the same passion?? too me this is proper bass playing...i know that there are players who take the bass to new levels every day....but to me my bass heroes are why i wanted to pick up the bass....does the bass lose its role at times? or am i just an old stick in the mud? i listen to some modern players and i cant help but think theyve lost the plot....please dont crucify me its just my view....even the so called great jaco often leaves me cold...if you havnt heard some of the above guys check them out they too me really are the biz....cheers bob.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1074059' date='Dec 31 2010, 11:12 PM']Proper music!

I assume you have Mr Friedlands excellent book on some of the players:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Masters-Way-They-Play/dp/0879308699"]R&B Bass Masters: The Way They Play by Ed Friedland[/url]

[/quote]

Good book - haven't looked at it for ages, must dig it out again :)

[quote name='bluesman' post='1074046' date='Dec 31 2010, 10:23 PM']im really into this music.....listening to the coolest bass grooves that flow from artists such as aretha franklin, donny hathaway, curtis mayfield, the meters ect.....laying down these grooves the likes of jerry jemmott, tommy cogbill, willie weeks, george porter, chuck rainey, james jamerson, tommy mclure....does anyone share the same passion?? too me this is proper bass playing...i know that there are players who take the bass to new levels every day....but to me my bass heroes are why i wanted to pick up the bass....does the bass lose its role at times? or am i just an old stick in the mud? i listen to some modern players and i cant help but think theyve lost the plot....please dont crucify me its just my view....even the so called great jaco often leaves me cold...if you havnt heard some of the above guys check them out they too me really are the biz....cheers bob.[/quote]

Yes I like this music however for thoose that were there, like me, was Soul Music, not R&B.

60's R&B was the Stones, the Yardbirds, The Pretty Things, The Downliners Sect, etc, etc.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1074059' date='Dec 31 2010, 11:12 PM']Proper music!

I assume you have Mr Friedlands excellent book on some of the players:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Masters-Way-They-Play/dp/0879308699"]R&B Bass Masters: The Way They Play by Ed Friedland[/url]

[/quote]

Would you recommend that over Standing in the Shadows of Motown?

many thanks to all....and yes i have mr friedlands great book....one bass line that blew me away completly was willie weeks.....playin on little ghetto boy....donny hathaway live.....big statement bt too me one of the greatest bass lines ever....still moves me.....also check out aretha early stuff.....more great playing....please forward any of your faves would like to know what does it for you guys.....happy new year to all.

[quote name='bluesman' post='1074046' date='Dec 31 2010, 10:23 PM']im really into this music.....listening to the coolest bass grooves that flow from artists such as aretha franklin, donny hathaway, curtis mayfield, the meters ect.....laying down these grooves the likes of jerry jemmott, tommy cogbill, willie weeks, george porter, chuck rainey, james jamerson, tommy mclure....does anyone share the same passion?? too me this is proper bass playing...i know that there are players who take the bass to new levels every day....but to me my bass heroes are why i wanted to pick up the bass....does the bass lose its role at times? or am i just an old stick in the mud? i listen to some modern players and i cant help but think theyve lost the plot....please dont crucify me its just my view....even the so called great jaco often leaves me cold...if you havnt heard some of the above guys check them out they too me really are the biz....cheers bob.[/quote]
Those guys (and a few others) are the foundation for everything that comes afterwards.

[quote name='Jam' post='1074117' date='Jan 1 2011, 02:06 AM']Would you recommend that over Standing in the Shadows of Motown?[/quote]
both great books....just standing in the shadows....isnt in tab.....shame...but some good biography notes on arguably the greatest bassist of all time....just wish i could play that good...

I'd add Duck Dunn's book: 'What Duck Dunn'
into the mix here too

('33 transcribed R&B classics as played by bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn')

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1074478' date='Jan 1 2011, 04:14 PM']No, both are essential :)[/quote]

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1074055' date='Dec 31 2010, 11:07 PM']I could add a bunch more to the original post but yes, love that old school vibe :)[/quote]
please do im always interested in this type of music....the guy from curtis mayfield springs to mind....lucky scott lee??? correct me....as i cant remember his name? bob babbit plus others who i cant remember names of....cheers bob.

[quote name='Platypus' post='1074537' date='Jan 1 2011, 05:19 PM']I'd add Duck Dunn's book: 'What Duck Dunn'
into the mix here too

('33 transcribed R&B classics as played by bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn')[/quote]
it did go out of stock at one point....but would like a copy at sometime....cheers.

I had to get my copy from Amazon US site, took a while to come through (cost was about £25 all in), though was worth it

Amazon Uk have a used copy here for £13.60:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0970138903/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0...;condition=used[/url]

[quote name='bluesman' post='1074547' date='Jan 1 2011, 05:27 PM']it did go out of stock at one point....but would like a copy at sometime....cheers.[/quote]

[quote name='Platypus' post='1074557' date='Jan 1 2011, 05:39 PM']I had to get my copy from Amazon US site, took a while to come through (cost was about £25 all in), though was worth it

Amazon Uk have a used copy here for £13.60:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0970138903/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0...;condition=used[/url][/quote]
thanx

[quote name='obbm' post='1074089' date='Jan 1 2011, 12:43 AM']Yes I like this music however for thoose that were there, like me, was Soul Music, not R&B.

60's R&B was the Stones, the Yardbirds, The Pretty Things, The Downliners Sect, etc, etc.[/quote]

I agree with that.

I thought i was just about to leave this world when i noticed this...
[b]"Amazon.co.uk: Girls Aloud - [u]R&B & Soul Music[/u]"[/b]... :) :) :lol:

Garry