Why become a member? ×

Can't describe this crime.

jsixties

It's ugly, but other than that, so what? A 1972 Fender Jazz was of absolutely zero consequence in 1973, no-one would have thought twice about customising one.

Chances are if this one hadn't been modified, it would have ended up chucked in a skip, presumably like 75% of all the other 1972 Fender Js.

Jon.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1072901' date='Dec 30 2010, 05:10 PM']I'm amazed at the rear strap button. Was that really the best spot they could find to plonk it? :)[/quote]

I suspect that the positioning of the rear strap button was what determined the shape of the (otherwise pointless) lower rear cutaway - see Photo #1.

With the button on a lower edge like that, the strap would be totally secure and incapable of coming off the strap. The body's tendency to fall forwards would be defeated by the right arm resting on the bass.

Obviously the rear of the strap would pass behind the bass considerably further in, so the bass would hang in a different way, which may be something the modifier wanted.

If all that theorising is right, then the upper rear cutaway becomes a stylistic thing to avoid the lower one looking too bizarre.

Please note that this doesn't mean that I like it - just that I was wondering why someone would do this, and I think I can see a sort of logic at work.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1072888' date='Dec 30 2010, 04:59 PM']It's ugly, but other than that, so what? A 1972 Fender Jazz was of absolutely zero consequence in 1973, no-one would have thought twice about customising one.[/quote]
...and you wouldn't be slightly dismayed if someone did this to a 2010 Jazz?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1073043' date='Dec 30 2010, 07:33 PM']...and you wouldn't be slightly dismayed if someone did this to a 2010 Jazz?[/quote]
At the poor taste, certainly. But I wouldn't react as though a sacred relic was being desecrated - it's just a mass-produced bass, there are thousands exactly the same.

Different story if someone had decided to do this to a '72 Jazz in 2010, though. That would be incredibly crass.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1073181' date='Dec 30 2010, 09:35 PM']At the poor taste, certainly. But I wouldn't react as though a sacred relic was being desecrated - it's just a mass-produced bass, there are thousands exactly the same.

Different story if someone had decided to do this to a '72 Jazz in 2010, though. That would be incredibly crass.

J.[/quote]

a dont think anyone really cares what it was to start with,,,we are more disgusted at what its become.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1073194' date='Dec 30 2010, 09:52 PM']a dont think anyone really cares what it was to start with,,,we are more disgusted at what its become.[/quote]

With all due respect - bollocks! If this had been a 5-year old Squier the worst it would've got is a bit if pointing & sniggering.

J.

I can't understand why someone needs to destroy a beauty to create a monster, if the artist starts from zero it makes sense and will be just a matter of taste but is not the chance here.
Anyway the seller description of the auction "Vintage 1972 Fender Jazz Bass Olympic White ~ CUSTOM!" is a complete joke.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1073265' date='Dec 30 2010, 11:16 PM']With all due respect - bollocks! If this had been a 5-year old Squier the worst it would've got is a bit if pointing & sniggering.

J.[/quote]
I would say 'double bollocks!' but I haven't lost the art of polite conversation. :-)

The point is, it's not a 5-year-old Squier (or whatever the equivalent was then.. A Kay?). It's a US-built bass which was a year old when someone thought it would be q good idea to pimp it up.

Hence my comment above: if this were a 2010 MIA, we'd be equally horrified.

Well... Most of us.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1073265' date='Dec 30 2010, 11:16 PM']With all due respect - bollocks! If this had been a 5-year old Squier the worst it would've got is a bit if pointing & sniggering.

J.[/quote]

dont get cheeky mate

A thought we were past folk being smart arses on here. Turns out we are lined up for it again in 2011.

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1073545' date='Dec 31 2010, 10:46 AM']ah im sorry, reacted without thinking properly. Too many late nights and far too many early mornings.
post edited mate. I realise I now appear to be a grumpy git who cant read properly.[/quote]
Ha ha - no problem. I know the feeling. :)