Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SEARCH FOR BEST EVER BASS CONTINUES....

minkey1980

So I was having a think about the basses I have owned and gigged over time and was thinking, what is the best ever bass guitar?

my collection so far....

1. Fender Jazz bass MIM (poor quality, mexican basses are the worst)

2. Warwick streamer Rock bass (first one I enjoyed, great fun and cheap but upgraded to a proper one...)

3. Warwick Streamer Standard (nice, w german made, h e a v y and bit dull)

4. Burns Marquee Bass (went through a patriotic phase and bought one, unusual, short scale, plenty of comments whilst gigging but bit too shadows...kept waiting for Cliff to come out from behind).

5. Yamaha silent bass (what was i thinking? - the handles kept falling off when gigging...we wont dwell on this one...)

6. Epiphone EB3 (Looked the biz but very neck heavy and end of day it was an Epi.....not bling enough)

7. Yamaha BB Bass Fretless (thing is Yamahas are brilliant, so reliable, so effortless, but it was no sex machine like next one)

8. Gibson Thunderbird studio (wow, beautiful, so beautiful. Loved it, great to play but neck dive meant new strap pegs needed, why did I sell it, why?)

9. Fender Musicmaster (vintage, great aged look, lovely short scale, quiet, needed to upgrade the pickup before gigging)

10. Yamaha Attitute Lit (Billy Sheehan signature, looked like a hot rod Fender. Great fun with the dual input stereo sound, wonderful to play, very good quality bass).

11. Ibanez Artcore AGB - my first semi acoustic bass, looked stunning but semi basses dont sound great, too much clangy reverb going off. Not accurate enough.

12. Ibanez Artcore AGB customised - see above but with active circuits and short scale so more tonal options - problems still existed.

13. Fender Squire Fretless bass - looked gorgoeus, played very well for a korean but upgraded to....

14. Fender 50th anniversary P fretless - US made, brilliant to play, standard looks, but i'm no jaco.

15. Zoot custom bass - unusual, first true custom built guitar i've owned, great sound but emotionless....

16. Fender 60th anniversary J bass with Korg pad - US made, s1 switch, infinite tone options, infinite effects, truly original but now in a covers band so looks odd with all the led lights etc....for sale.

There have been others but they were too cheap to list....

to be continued.....

[quote name='minkey1980' post='1055681' date='Dec 12 2010, 08:28 AM']10. Yamaha Attitute Lit (Billy Sheehan signature, looked like a hot rod Fender. Great fun with the dual input stereo sound, wonderful to play, very good quality bass).[/quote]

All the others have negative points, but not this one. What was the problem with it? :)

Also cheap basses can be nice, there's people on here (can't think of any names at the mo, but I know they exist) that have sold of expensive bass collections to stick with a couple of modified Squiers.

Ah... oh dear... can of worms indeed. Pointless thread with all due respect from yours truly.

If you find it in yourself to eradicate the evils of hype, hearsay and whatever crap you read on internet fora... then you'll realize that perhaps even a £50 nameless bass can be ace to a man, and that same man couldn't care less for... say a handmade Fodera or a Ken Smith even if he could afford it.

Ok example: even in this thread someone said try a Rickenbacker, they are the dogs' blx, well I have tried many Ricks in as many models as they come, money not being an issue for me, they just don't do it for me at all! Same as Warwicks, I know there is a "cult" going on about Warwick basses, but they mean jack **** to me. Don't like holding them, playing them and even hate the sound they make. But at the same time I wouldn't dare diss them, I simply appreciated they are not for me and that doesn't mean they're bad. I am sure that some of the basses I rate might not be your choice and that some people wouldn't even touch with a barge pole.

So I ask, why for threads like these exist? Do we all drive the same car, wear the same shoes? No, we do not! So how could we possibly agree on what is the best bass?

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1055838' date='Dec 12 2010, 11:25 AM']Ah... oh dear... can of worms indeed. Pointless thread with all due respect from yours truly.

If you find it in yourself to eradicate the evils of hype, hearsay and whatever crap you read on internet fora... then you'll realize that perhaps even a £50 nameless bass can be ace to a man, and that same man couldn't care less for... say a handmade Fodera or a Ken Smith even if he could afford it.

Ok example: even in this thread someone said try a Rickenbacker, they are the dogs' blx, well I have tried many Ricks in as many models as they come, money not being an issue for me, they just don't do it for me at all! Same as Warwicks, I know there is a "cult" going on about Warwick basses, but they mean jack **** to me. Don't like holding them, playing them and even hate the sound they make. But at the same time I wouldn't dare diss them, I simply appreciated they are not for me and that doesn't mean they're bad. I am sure that some of the basses I rate might not be your choice and that some people wouldn't even touch with a barge pole.

So I ask, why for threads like these exist? Do we all drive the same car, wear the same shoes? No, we do not! So how could we possibly agree on what is the best bass?[/quote]

true, and to be honest I wrote the title to the thread before starting to write and then forgot what it actually was I was doing....kind of like being back at school (which explains why I flopped, dropped out and learned the 4 string and not the spanish guitar...). So if you replace the title with the 'best bass ever' and insert 'new member rants about his previous bass collection' its prob more accurate.

I loved the Yamaha attitude though - like driving a pimped up hummer.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1055838' date='Dec 12 2010, 11:25 AM']Ah... oh dear... can of worms indeed. Pointless thread with all due respect from yours truly.

So I ask, why for threads like these exist? Do we all drive the same car, wear the same shoes? No, we do not! So how could we possibly agree on what is the best bass?[/quote]

whats the problem with asking these types of questions,,,,,it looks like you gave time for a response!!

let the fella ask his questions and let the masses enjoy answering,,,,its open forum after all!

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1055905' date='Dec 12 2010, 12:11 PM']whats the problem with asking these types of questions,,,,,it looks like you gave time for a response!!

let the fella ask his questions and let the masses enjoy answering,,,,its open forum after all![/quote]

Of course... sorry, go ahead, have at it.

[quote name='minkey1980' post='1055681' date='Dec 12 2010, 08:28 AM']So I was having a think about the basses I have owned and gigged over time and was thinking, what is the best ever bass guitar?

my collection so far....

etc.[/quote]
Wot, no Stingray?!
Until you've owned a Stingray, you'll never know what is the best bass ever! :)

<even more worms>

<grabs coat, runs and hides>

For me it is a very quick and simple answer! Write down all the things you love about all those basses and then a second list about all the things you dislike. Take that list to a luthier of your choice and have them make the bass of your dreams!

For this, my answer is my two Shukers. Jon has completely nailed exactly what I wanted and needed out of an instrument. It's not going to be 'the best' for everyone and I am happy to see that some have been quite honest to say 'Euuurghhh, I don't like singlecuts' for example. (Though I'm chuffed to say that everyone who has played my basses has thought they sound and play brilliantly) Anyway, I digress - the point has been made above already, so for me to find my ideal instrument, I first had to play and own enough instruments over the years to be able to decide what I did and didn't like about off the shelf instruments.

Go custom, it's the way forward :)

[quote name='dood' post='1055988' date='Dec 12 2010, 01:25 PM']For me it is a very quick and simple answer! Write down all the things you love about all those basses and then a second list about all the things you dislike. Take that list to a luthier of your choice and have them make the bass of your dreams![/quote]

He will be left with a one stringed semi acoustic Banjo...

Garry

I won't list them all, but I currently have 15 basses. My favourite three are

[list=1]
[*] Japanese Fender Mustang which is stock except for an aged pearloid pickguard, a Sei/Gallery Fret level, a set of TI JF324 Flats & a rub over the back of the neck with scotchbrite to degloss it a bit. So easy to play & get a good sound that it feels like cheating
[*] NS-Design CR5M upright which oozes quality
[*] Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-V with Natural oil finish - my new toy as I've only had it a week
[/list]

All very different; I'd not expect these basses to be on anyone elses list though

I think my Jag is suites to my needs and I feel as though it spoils me with its tonal control. I love it to bits and itts easily my 'go-to-bass'.
It has a lovely thin neck and looks cool.

So for me its the combination of playability and looks that make this a winner.

Not to say I dont love my Bongo, however I could easily swap or sell the Bongo without a 2nd thought. I think that easily answers this question for me.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='1055972' date='Dec 12 2010, 01:01 PM']Wot, no Stingray?!
Until you've owned a Stingray, you'll never know what is the best bass ever! :)

<even more worms>

<grabs coat, runs and hides>[/quote]

This is the truth! :) Obviously it has to be a "Real" one and by that I meen a pre EB haha worms everywhere...........

[quote name='minkey1980' post='1056193' date='Dec 12 2010, 04:54 PM'].....................MUSICMAN BONGO!!!!

I knew there was a bass I wanted to try.

Whats that like?

(for the record I forgot about my Musicman Sub bass - it was ok, very good value for money but wish I had gone for the active one).[/quote]

the bongo is a different animal that I have encountered. It has such a wide and powerful tone variation due to its uber powerful 18v preamp.

I have the HS pickup which is the humbucker and single coil setup. The bass is more modern in sound than im used to and quite 'hi-fi' like depending on its setting.

In saying that, it has the ability to have ultra high mids with enough treble to make it sould like a stingray and on the other side of the spectrum it has enough bass to easily dislodge fillings. So it goes to both extremes whilst nailing everything inbetween.

The quality finish on these basses is second to none. They are lovely in all respects.

Quite a few folk dont like the shape of them, but its the shape that mainly brought these basses to my attention.