Why become a member? ×

How many strings?

BobTheBassist

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1040020' date='Nov 28 2010, 03:45 PM']Im not knocking the 5ers but most the time I watch a pub band with a bassist using one I watch to see how often they play anything on the B and more often than not its very little. Most the pub bands I see with them are playing songs that were all written and recorded on 4 strings in the first place too.[/quote]

I entirely agree, Pete, but see my earlier reply (at Post #14).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1040020' date='Nov 28 2010, 03:45 PM']I play in 3 bands and have never been kicked out for not having more strings or being crap at playing. There are plenty of players who should learn to play before moving to 5,6 or 8 strings! :)[/quote]

On balance, I'd guess that most of the guys I've played with would have been happier if I'd played a 4-string, because it's what they expect. I usually have to explain why (or even show why) I use a 5-string on certain songs.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1040291' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:08 PM']You know nothing of the types or style of music I play, But I will enlighten you, Blues, Rock, Indie, Jazz, Funk and anything else that I am asked or I want to do. I have managed to play all of those with 4 strings and the odd drop D or even a B bass from time to time with no problems thanks.[/quote]

Good. Well I'm glad you're not having too many problems. Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of being able to use more than one bass for different tunings or is able to take them to a gig where more than one will be required.

[quote]Im not dissing anyone either thats you twisting other peoples words maybe thats why you think these threads fall into the same thing because before you twisted mine and ET's words all was good. There are a lot of players who can use lots of strings to a great advantage that create music I enjoy I will give you that but also there are hundreds of crap bassists who think there better than others because they have more strings thats a fact.[/quote]

There are also hundreds of crap 4 string bassists who think they're superior than others for playing a 4 string as well. In fact that was my original point. No all was not good before I posted what I posted. You started the problem when you started insulting people's playing ability on a 5 or more string bass. I just pointed out that it was a problem. I'm sure there is more than one person on here who agrees with what I'm saying though but hasn't decided to post. Therefore there was a problem.

[quote]What would you like to see in these kind of threads pages of how cool everyone is for all playing whatever ammount of strings they have? Sounds intriguing! :)[/quote]

No, I just think that slagging people off for playing basses with whatever number of strings is childish and pathetic. Play what you want. Why does it matter to you so much?

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1040193' date='Nov 28 2010, 05:59 PM']I've been dissed for not having a five string more than I've ever dissed anyone for having a five - which is not at all.[/quote]

I'm glad you have the sense not to diss other people for what they chose to play. I would never think about dissing anyone whether they played a 1 string or a 100 string bass either. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem with it though and in my experience as a 4 and 5 string player, I've seen more people dissing anything that isn't "the norm" than the other way round.
In fact as i'm sure i've mentioned dosens of times before, this doesn't just apply to bass. It applies to everything to do with musicians. For some reason there are always ultra-conservative groups of musicians who seem to think they're vastly superior to the small groups of people who do decide to venture away from the traditional regardless of their creative or technical ability.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1040416' date='Nov 28 2010, 08:44 PM']I'm glad you have the sense not to diss other people for what they chose to play. I would never think about dissing anyone whether they played a 1 string or a 100 string bass either. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem with it though and in my experience as a 4 and 5 string player, I've seen more people dissing anything that isn't "the norm" than the other way round.[/quote]

I've seen people "diss" people for having a 4 string, it's very rare though and usually only happens with younger people who think that being different is better by default, regardless of any other circumstances.

What sucks is that we're on a bass forum where we're supposed to discuss our mutual interest with other people, share our experience and knowledge and there's still people that are so closed minded that they can be paraphrased as "I saw a guy play a 5er in a pub and he was crap, so you don't need more than 4 strings because that's what I use and I'm ok." Just the fact that there's people posting stuff like "When I see people play ERBs, I rarely see them use below E" shows general ignorance in it's self and instead of trying to learn, some people are just posting opinions that are (directly or indirectly) negative towards other posters.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1039482' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:57 AM']4 for me is enough.[/quote] Was for me for a loooooooooooong time, but getting the 5 was great - so good I got the 5 fretless as well
[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1039482' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:57 AM']My experience of users who use more than 4 is that they spend their time noodling on the treble side above the 12th fret; if your gonna do that play guitar? Which is what I do.[/quote]Are you sure!! Some possibly, but for me it's a 4 with the option to get lower. Bother the dusty end? I think not

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1040297' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:13 PM']I bet Ernie Ball would of made a birdseye roasted maple tea chest though! And pre PG tips ones would be worth a fortune, People would be saying how they bust them up for fire wood back in the day :)[/quote]

------------> [size=3]Zinggg!! [/size] :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1040351' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:48 PM']I think you should clarify exactly what your point is, because it sounds like you're saying that players that play ERBs are sub-standard and need the extra range to make up for it, but you can manage fine without. At least that's how I'm reading it. No one's said anything about 4 string players so you bringing it up seems to imply there's a difference in standards.

I don't see what it matters what you or anyone else plays, there's plenty of reasons that can justify playing ERBs, I said a few in my last post. If you can't see them and stubbornly stick with "well I can manage on 4 strings, everyone should" then that's your short sightedness.[/quote]

Blimey I have set myself up here havent I!

Not sure where to start....There are good 4 stringers and good 5'ers. There are bad 4 stringers and bad 5'ers. There are some songs and styles of music that require a 5 string but I stand by the fact a lot of people dont use the 5th string for pub type bands and will tell you themselves that the 5 has made them lazy players when using it purely for ease where as using it to its full extent to push the boundries of music is good please keep doing it!

So you think Im saying that someone who has mastered the ability to play a 5 string to a good standard is somehow sub standard to all 4 string players? Thats just a stupid arguement in itself and not one I agree with. I havent actually said they should not take a 5 string bass to gigs where they dont use it and fully understand that if its your favourite (or only) bass that you are comfortable playing thats fine by me too. I dont want anyone to think Im stuck in the past its just not for me at the moment and would only go there if I felt the need for whatever reason.

I will simplify my first post then,Answer to the OP "4" :)

Thanks for all of that guys. Didn't expect to stir up a sh!t storm like I obviously did. :)

I never meant this as a which is better discussion cos I honestly think it's a personal preference. While I do agree with the statement that some bassists use the 5 string to compensate for a lack of ability there are many who use it to the full potential. Don't believe me check out streetlight manifesto and mudvayne.

So basicly my 2p worth is that a crap bassist is crap no matter how many stings they have and likewise for a good bassist.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1040297' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:13 PM']I bet Ernie Ball would of made a birdseye roasted maple tea chest though! And pre PG tips ones would be worth a fortune, People would be saying how they bust them up for fire wood back in the day :)[/quote]

Don't forget the arguments over the best type of string!

[quote name='BobTheBassist' post='1040491' date='Nov 28 2010, 09:42 PM']I never meant this as a which is better discussion cos I honestly think it's a personal preference. While I do agree with the statement that some bassists use the 5 string to compensate for a lack of ability there are many who use it to the full potential. Don't believe me check out streetlight manifesto and mudvayne.[/quote]

There's hundreds of bands that use 5 strings to their full potential. Streetlight are awesome though, we supported them a while back, insanely good musicians and so tight. Really nice guys too.

I think a lot of the negative rep that 5 strings have is to do with the tuned down nu-metal that has been hovering about for the last 15-20 years. Down tuning has lost all credibility (instead of being something you do when your singer's struggling in the keys the songs are written in) and ERBs are following the same slide, even though they were originally used in jazz IIRC.

Whether or not people NEED 5 strings isn't really deabatable, of course we don't, we don't need any more than one (assuming you can justify even "needing" a bass at all), hence my post earlier, but in a creative process like writing music, people should be using whatever allows them to best create whatever they want. If that's an Encore strat copy with bass strings on it that's been set up by Mr Universe 2010 with a pickaxe, then sure, so long as the musician is getting what he needs from it.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1040515' date='Nov 28 2010, 09:59 PM']There's hundreds of bands that use 5 strings to their full potential. Streetlight are awesome though, we supported them a while back, insanely good musicians and so tight. Really nice guys too.

I think a lot of the negative rep that 5 strings have is to do with the tuned down nu-metal that has been hovering about for the last 15-20 years. Down tuning has lost all credibility (instead of being something you do when your singer's struggling in the keys the songs are written in) and ERBs are following the same slide, even though they were originally used in jazz IIRC.

Whether or not people NEED 5 strings isn't really deabatable, of course we don't, we don't need any more than one (assuming you can justify even "needing" a bass at all), hence my post earlier, but in a creative process like writing music, people should be using whatever allows them to best create whatever they want. If that's an Encore strat copy with bass strings on it that's been set up by Mr Universe 2010 with a pickaxe, then sure, so long as the musician is getting what he needs from it.[/quote]

Well said sir.

I've been exclusively a 4 string player for the ten years I've played. However I would very much entertain the idea of getting a 5 string next time I buy a bass, for a few reasons; 1.) I don't have to set up my current 4 string basses for lower tunings 2.) it will save me faffing round with more than one bass during future gigs and 3.) I need the extra low range.

[quote]Bit of a nerve about the learning to play before going to an ERB maybe? Oh well.[/quote]

Someone already quoted Anthony Jackson a few pages back, but his basic argument is that why should a player be learning on a 4 instead of a 6 string bass? To him it makes more sense, the way the guitar evolved catered for six strings and being a direct ancestor of the guitar it seems like a natural progression for bass guitar design to have taken... and the only reason it didn't was because Leo Fender made popular a design that took equal influence from upright. As a result, he spent hours fixing his Fender Jazz bass's intonation problems when he played in drop tunings, and this frustrated him endlessly, hence why he went to Carl Thompson I believe to design the world's first 6 string bass guitar.

I don't necessarily agree with this argument. I suppose it's a bit like saying 'why haven't cars always had power steering because it makes more sense than not having it'. But I don't disagree with it either. I don't necessarily know if it's in a beginner's interest to purchase a 5 or 6 string instrument as their first bass guitar, but as long as they learn how to play it does it really matter that much?

Just a little food for thought:

If i recal correctly Stuart Zender says something like (and I'm massively paraphrasing here)

' I used a five stringer when i first joined Jamiroquoi, so i could emulate what had been done before I joined, but it wasnt really me. Now I have an established place in the band I am more likely to use a four stringer with an octave pedal'

[quote name='daz' post='1040571' date='Nov 28 2010, 10:58 PM']Just a little food for thought:

If i recal correctly Stuart Zender says something like (and I'm massively paraphrasing here)

' I used a five stringer when i first joined Jamiroquoi, so i could emulate what had been done before I joined, but it wasnt really me. Now I have an established place in the band I am more likely to use a four stringer with an octave pedal'[/quote]

I'd wager that Zender stopped using 5 string basses because they became a little '90's', but now using a vintage Fender is trending higher than a fancy Warwick 5 string with LED markers. To be honest his background with Jamiroquai and later solo work was very modern R&B influenced and at the time 5 strings were the thing to be using.

Lots of good reasons why people have a low string have already been stated but for me in my band i couldn't play the songs the way i would want to play them without the 6. my guitarists play 7 strings tuned to A and the root of the riffs if you like are played on this A string. Sure i could play them in the same octave rather than an octave below and sometimes i do this but most of the time the overall sound of the band benefit from the low bass. I could play a four tuned AEAD but then i would loose the G string and i use that a lot in our songs.

Now for the C string sure i could play these notes/parts further up the neck on a 4 string or a a 5 but in my opinion the notes sound very different up the neck and on the C string sometimes its the right sound and sometimes its not. I really don't like the sound of playing some of my percussive and slapped bits past the 12th fret i think it looses the "crack" for lack of a better word. I don't just use me 6 string to go widdle widdle widdle there are practical uses.

I hope this brief explanation helps some people see why i use a 6 and not a 4 but ultimately its about playing whats needed for the song. If i was playing a pop song that didn't need either the low B or high C strings i would still use my 6 string but just use the middle 4 strings. There is a time and a place. I don't play piano but i imagine that piano players don't use the full range of the piano in every song. Although like i say i don't play.

Edited by Dread Bass