Why become a member? ×

New Washburn Stuart Hamm signature model

Chris2112

Just had word in from Stu that this is his new signature bass...

It comes equipped with EMG pickups and Hipshot hardware. It's 34" scale too. There isn't much info around about it aside from the fact that it'll be on show at NAMM this year and it's been used on Stuart's new album (out on December the 1st).

Personally I'm not wild on it. The shape is a little bland for me. It's not a looker like the Urge was and it'll never sound as good as a Kubicki. I'm at a loss as to why Fender have discontinued the Urge bass (it's been out of production for about 2 years according to Stu). It was always a popular model and it was also the first signature bass Fender made (in it's Urge I guise back in 1992/93).

We'll have to wait and see how this does. Personally, I can't see it being a massive hit like the Urge was. I'll try and speak to Stu about it at some point and get the low down on it, see what this bass is really all about.

Stu has been using Washburn basses for a few years now, starting with the Washburn acoustic bass he used on "Outbound" in 2001. He currently has a Washburn acoustic signature model and I suppose this is a natural extension of that relationship!

I just interviewed Stu for Bass Guitar Magazine, and we discussed his new bass in a fair amount of detail. There's not a lot I can add to what was said above, but the pickup configuration is unusual, and there are piezo's in the bridge. I guess it may not look much, but I think the picture is the prototype - no doubt Stu will do for a nice sparkle finish like on some of his Urge basses!

I've heard Stu's album, 'Just Outside of Normal' and it's really good. Some unusual stuff on there, and some great compositions. Oh yeah, the bass playing is pretty good too...

Look for out for all of the above in an issue of BGM coming soon.

Stuart

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='1038593' date='Nov 27 2010, 09:41 AM']I just interviewed Stu for Bass Guitar Magazine, and we discussed his new bass in a fair amount of detail. There's not a lot I can add to what was said above, but the pickup configuration is unusual, and there are piezo's in the bridge. I guess it may not look much, but I think the picture is the prototype - no doubt Stu will do for a nice sparkle finish like on some of his Urge basses!

I've heard Stu's album, 'Just Outside of Normal' and it's really good. Some unusual stuff on there, and some great compositions. Oh yeah, the bass playing is pretty good too...

Look for out for all of the above in an issue of BGM coming soon.

Stuart[/quote]

I would expect that Stu will have custom models made of it. After all, his Fender Urge II basses were made in the Fender Custom shop by Todd Krause, it's a perk of the job to be able to get handmade stuff!

I'm also really looking forward to the new album, simply because Stu has never released a bad one! You'll be able to get signed copies from his website.

Blandsville. I wouldn't look at it twice if it was hanging on the wall of a guitar shop.

Stu's one hell of a player, but, let's face it, he's an endorsement whore. He's changed amp endorsements more regularly than some people change their pants. Certainly, in terms of profile, when you've had a Fender signature model, where else is there to go but down? But Washburn? Surely if he'd wanted a Fender-alike, he could have gone with Lakland or something?

[quote name='Russ' post='1039496' date='Nov 28 2010, 01:15 AM']Stu's one hell of a player, but, let's face it, he's an endorsement whore. He's changed amp endorsements more regularly than some people change their pants. Certainly, in terms of profile, when you've had a Fender signature model, where else is there to go but down? But Washburn? Surely if he'd wanted a Fender-alike, he could have gone with Lakland or something?[/quote]

He's hardly an endorsement whore. The gear he has endorsed he has stuck by for a long time, see below:

Amps: In the 80's he used Hartke, and he continued that for a long time. Around the turn of the Millenium, he switched to Peavey. There was never a Peavey Stuart Hamm signature but he did promotional work and clinics for them. He then went back to Harkte, again using stock Hartke stuff. He's a good friend of Larry Hartke, and loves his amps.

Basses: So in the 80's he's playing Kubicki basses and is a good friend of Phil Kubicki. When Fender buy Kubicki, they recognise Stu as Kubicki's highest profile player. After approximately 7/8 years playing Kubicki basses Fender offer to make Stu a signature bass since they've been in contact through the "Fender era" at Kubicki. Stu has a big hand in the design stage (I could bore you with stories about details as minute as why they chose Pau Ferro over ebony for the fretboard but I won't) and ends up having his name on the first signature bass that Fender made.

Production continues for several years before Fender decides it would like to make a second Urge bass, this time more suited to the mainstream (hence the 34" scale). The second Urge bass is created, and goes on selling for a number of years. Fender then discontinue it. In 2001, Stu started using Washburn basses, namely an acoustic that appears on "Outbound". Having had nearly a decade of enjoyment from this bass, he gets a signature model made by Washburn. Having contacts in Washburn, he's played their electric basses for a while before getting a signature model.

Strings: Stu has used GHS Boomers since the 80's, no signature string, just one brand he likes.

etc etc

So it's hardly fair to call Stu an endorsement whore. He puts his name to products he develops himself, and he gives them many years of use. He is not picking companies out of the ether.

It'd be more fair to say that Mark King is an endorsement whore, but then the term "whore" cheapens it. Whats wrong with having companies wanting to put your name on their stuff? If we were good enough bassists that companies were begging us to give them signature models I'm sure we'd jump too!

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1039494' date='Nov 28 2010, 01:14 AM']I think Fender is done with Mr Hamm, he took a bit of a pause at Bass Day when he announced the Washburn thing.[/quote]
I think i'd feel asleep whilst he was telling that story ! Don't remember him saying at all..

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1039577' date='Nov 28 2010, 04:29 AM']He's hardly an endorsement whore. The gear he has endorsed he has stuck by for a long time, see below:

Amps: In the 80's he used Hartke, and he continued that for a long time. Around the turn of the Millenium, he switched to Peavey. There was never a Peavey Stuart Hamm signature but he did promotional work and clinics for them. He then went back to Harkte, again using stock Hartke stuff. He's a good friend of Larry Hartke, and loves his amps.

Basses: So in the 80's he's playing Kubicki basses and is a good friend of Phil Kubicki. When Fender buy Kubicki, they recognise Stu as Kubicki's highest profile player. After approximately 7/8 years playing Kubicki basses Fender offer to make Stu a signature bass since they've been in contact through the "Fender era" at Kubicki. Stu has a big hand in the design stage (I could bore you with stories about details as minute as why they chose Pau Ferro over ebony for the fretboard but I won't) and ends up having his name on the first signature bass that Fender made.

Production continues for several years before Fender decides it would like to make a second Urge bass, this time more suited to the mainstream (hence the 34" scale). The second Urge bass is created, and goes on selling for a number of years. Fender then discontinue it. In 2001, Stu started using Washburn basses, namely an acoustic that appears on "Outbound". Having had nearly a decade of enjoyment from this bass, he gets a signature model made by Washburn. Having contacts in Washburn, he's played their electric basses for a while before getting a signature model.

Strings: Stu has used GHS Boomers since the 80's, no signature string, just one brand he likes.

etc etc

So it's hardly fair to call Stu an endorsement whore. He puts his name to products he develops himself, and he gives them many years of use. He is not picking companies out of the ether.

It'd be more fair to say that Mark King is an endorsement whore, but then the term "whore" cheapens it. Whats wrong with having companies wanting to put your name on their stuff? If we were good enough bassists that companies were begging us to give them signature models I'm sure we'd jump too![/quote]

I just think he' s up there with the Wootens of this world in terms of the number of adverts he appears in. Granted, he's not as bad as the likes of Wooten, Mark King, etc, but he's up there as one of the big names who are associated with a portfolio of endorsed products.

He's definitely been through several other amp endorsements over the years, including Fender's amp range and, briefly, Eden, and I do recall a short stint advertising another brand of strings. But I do know he's been pretty faithful with the basses, with Kubicki and Fender, and now Washburn.

I just wonder why he went with Washburn - a player of his stature could have gone with any number of better manufacturers. I remember the BP article back in the early 90s about the Urge basses, and how in-depth the development process was in conjunction with the Fender Custom Shop. I just wonder how much of that care and attention he's managed to get from Washburn. Then again, I've wondered what the likes of Jeff Berlin and Brian Bromberg saw in Dean bassses. All I can imagine is that the instruments the endorsers get are pretty far removed from the ones that make it to the shops.

PS. I had an endorsement deal with Warwick briefly back in 2003. :)

I had an Urge I and it was an amazing bass. The Urge II is an excellent twist on the PJ theme.

I heard about the Stu signature a couple of months back as it appeared on the Parker guitars factory video and I had really high hopes for it. However, this is boring and bland. Maybe he's been hanging around with Jeff Berlin too long as it looks like as uninspiring as the Dean thing he plays.

Just feel deflated and disappointed that Washburn and Stu have come up with something so dull :)

Edited by 7string

Nothing visually that [b]doesn't[/b] make me go wow! But if it's what Stu needs/wants then that's all that matters. Interesting p/up config for sure and I'd be interested in hearing it. Met Stu once, nice guy.

On the question of "endorsement whores" (not that I think that is one BTW) the worst offender must be Rocco Prestia even if based soley on his amp endorsements. But I ask myself, if some company wanted to give me free stuff (and maybe more) for putting my name on something I actually liked and used, would I say no?

EDIT left out [b]doesn't [/b]which gives my opinion a whole different slant

Edited by ezbass

I did hear the other day that a well known DB player (won't say his name) who seems to have used several different EUBs in turn in the past few years only does so in order to extract the maximum from the tax off-sets of his profession - not because he is perennially dissatisfied with his gear. It put a slightly different complexion on my view of "endorsement whoring"