Why become a member? ×

Sounds Hard - But Easy

Hobbayne

Has anyone had to learn a bassline to a cover? and sat down to listen to it and thought to themselves "That sounds tricky!" only to find out, when you,ve tried to play it, it is, infact quite simple? :)

Here is my top 5 candidates..
1. Monday - The Jam
2. Down In The Sewer - The Stranglers
3. Everybodys Got Something To Hide - The Beatles
4. Baggy Trousers - Madness
5. London Calling - Clash

I,m not just talking about finding the notes on the fretboard, but also the timing and the feel too! :)

Know what you mean. Sometimes its a pleasant surprise to find that you've nailed something easily, that you thought was going to be harder.

I thought I was going to have an issue with Going underground some years ago as it sounded like a lot of work to get it right. The right sound and feel were the more important things.

There have been a couple of songs, i've heard and seen the TAB (yes, I know, I am lazy!) and thought :) (From Out of Nowhere - Faith No More) and others that people have said are really difficult (Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon) but then come to play it and have been surprisingly easy to get a handle on!

Agree with London Calling and Baggy Trousers. I learnt them a few weeks ago (just for my own amusement). Nice and simple once you know how.

Ive also finally learnt Tears of a Clown (the original). For some reason thats eluded me for ages, although ive never HAD to learn it before.

High on Fire - Rumours of War. I thought the pace would kill me, but it's surprisingly easy to get into the pace of this one and stay with it.

I could quite happily cite any number of Megadeth tracks. Ellefson knows his stuff - but once you're into the groove it just twigs as to what he's doing, and I found a lot of them have fallen easier than I thought they would have done.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1021665' date='Nov 12 2010, 04:48 PM']I always avoided the bass solo in My Generation but when I had to learn it for a covers band I found that it wasnt [b]that[/b] hard - still took me a week to learn though :)[/quote]

True...initially a bit tricky to get completely on the spot, but a bit of practise and Bob's your Mom's brother.

You do get those other way round numbers too though. Band practice comes round lets bash out so and so it should be ready for the next gig in a weeks time ,Three months later everyone (usually guitards!) is arguing if its a "minor 5th deminished major 7th with a blue note over a mixalodian 3rd" or just an A!

re Sex on fire- Does anyone have trouble with the exact timing of where to hit the first pair of B's? Most bands including ours feck it up or just dodge it somehow.Once your away its a peice of cake I agree.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1022004' date='Nov 12 2010, 10:49 PM']re Sex on fire- Does anyone have trouble with the exact timing of where to hit the first pair of B's? Most bands including ours feck it up or just dodge it somehow.Once your away its a peice of cake I agree.[/quote]

Nah.... the first guitar note is a pick up(anacrusis) on beat 4,followed by 4 bars. I thought the first bass note was C#?

Sorry C# you can see what trouble I can get into! I have no problem when playing along to the track or the version in my head and Im sure its our usually excellent guitarist/singer who is wrong as I agree with you and I listen for the "der der der dd" thats whats in my head! I think he over complicates the guitar part and throws it all out but you cant tell him once he has decided, Oh well.