Why become a member? ×

I'm too rock for my own good.

paul h

Last night, while playing Good Times I realised I sound like a rock player trying to be funky. Not good. Obviously this is mostly because I am really a rock player but I want to change, I really do.

So technique is something I will have to work on but in the meantime I am going to swap my ceramic P pickup for an Alnico one (I have already swapped the J) and raise the action a touch. I am also considering heavier gauge strings or flatwounds but I am little bit loathe to do that because my current strings have plenty of life in them still and I'm a tight wad.

I also realise I need to use a lighter touch and turn the amp up instead.

Message ends.

[quote name='paul h' post='1017422' date='Nov 9 2010, 12:47 PM']Last night, while playing Good Times I realised I sound like a rock player trying to be funky. Not good. Obviously this is mostly because I am really a rock player but I want to change, I really do.

So technique is something I will have to work on but in the meantime I am going to swap my ceramic P pickup for an Alnico one (I have already swapped the J) and raise the action a touch. I am also considering heavier gauge strings or flatwounds but I am little bit loathe to do that because my current strings have plenty of life in them still and I'm a tight wad.

I also realise I need to use a lighter touch and turn the amp up instead.

Message ends.[/quote]

I have a similar problem in that if I try to play rock I tend to syncopate it too much.

Try listening to just funk for some time instead of rock.

If you want to be funky listen to funk.

Sounds glib, but its the only way.

I dont mean have a quick listen to a couple of tracks either, I mean immerse yourself entirely in funk music, listen to only funk for a few months, practice along to it always.

Avoid anything that isnt funk during this time.

That will make you funky. In the mean time, save you money....

And remember, you gotta wear your sunglasses in here :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1017438' date='Nov 9 2010, 12:56 PM']If you want to be funky listen to funk.

Sounds glib, but its the only way.

I dont mean have a quick listen to a couple of tracks either, I mean immerse yourself entirely in funk music, listen to only funk for a few months, practice along to it always.

Avoid anything that isnt funk during this time.

That will make you funky. In the mean time, save you money....

And remember, you gotta wear your sunglasses in here :)[/quote]

He's right, you know. :)

[quote name='paul h' post='1017422' date='Nov 9 2010, 12:47 PM']...and raise the action a touch....[/quote]

I would do the opposite. The lower the action, the lighter the touch. The lighter the touch, the clearer the nuance. The clearer the nuance, the bigger the groove. The bigger the groove, the heavier the FUNK!

[quote]I also realise I need to use a lighter touch and turn the amp up instead.[/quote]

The most important thing any funk player has to learn, so good to see you've noted it!

no no no, this is all wrong - it's not the gear, it's the CLOTHES!

Swap your jeans and t-shirt, for some super-flared corduroy, some kind of pyschedelic shirt, star-shaped sunglasses and possibly a big funky hat to go on your 'fro and the funk will come my friend!

:) :)

Thanks for all the comments guys. I too firmly fall into the "It's in your fingers" camp, but with some caveats. I do listen to a fair old bit of funk but I am trying to erase 20 plus years of rock playing here so it's not that easy! :)

Onto the caveats with regards to feel...

If for example, somebody hands me a Steve Harris sig P bass there is a good chance that I am going to bang away going clackity clackity clack and have a whale of a time. Nothing wrong with that. If someone hands me a hollowbody shortscale I will probably end up doing the worlds worst Macca impression. If I have 70's style Jazz then hey presto I am Larry Graham's illegitimate offspring.

So am I the only one then? Am I the only one whose "feel" is greatly affected by the instrument?

In fact am I the only one who changes feel from song to song? Do you all genuinely always sound the same? What happens when you have to play a different genre? Do you play with the same feel during a rock song and a funk song?

I think it's all about confidence in your own ability and comfort with getting across who you are through the music. I play the way I play, whatever the genre and it seems to work (never been fired - yet!). I would expect Geddy Lee to sound like Geddy Lee whatever he was playing (instrument or genre) and as long as he does, he sounds good to me. Not everyone will agree!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1017495' date='Nov 9 2010, 01:35 PM']What a disappointing thread. I thought I was going to read how you played a gig with 5kg weights hanging from your testicles and wearing an inside-out studded leather outfit[/quote]

Well that's a given.

[quote name='paul h' post='1017471' date='Nov 9 2010, 01:23 PM']So am I the only one then? Am I the only one whose "feel" is greatly affected by the instrument?[/quote]

Maybe. You have to deprogram yourself, I'd say. You can get most sounds out of most basses if you get the hang of any given style. For example, play punk rock-style stuff with a plectrum on a jazz fretless :)

[quote name='paul h' post='1017477' date='Nov 9 2010, 01:26 PM']Also, I assume you all play £50 P bass copies. Because it's all in the feel and nothing to do with your gear?

:)[/quote]

Ok, yes i play an expensive bass. But ironically the best recorded sound i've achieved has been with a £50 P bass copy...

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='1017505' date='Nov 9 2010, 01:38 PM']Ok, yes i play an expensive bass. But ironically the best recorded sound i've achieved has been with a £50 P bass copy...[/quote]

I'm not knocking £50 P copies for one second! :)

What I am trying to ascertain (since everybody say's it's nothing to do with gear) is how can a bass player be so totally detached from their instrument and sound that it doesn't affect their feel?

Edited by paul h