Why become a member? ×

The Carl Thompson $10 million bass on Ebay

Mr. Foxen

It's fantastic to see it, but definitely not for me. As in so many of Carl's basses, the pickup is so bloody far away from the bridge it could only sound awful! It's very pricey too, and I appreciate that Carl may well be retired now but his basses don't seem to generate the same excitement they once did.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='1009304' date='Nov 2 2010, 09:13 AM']Why call it the $10 Million bass? I don't understand.[/quote]

Its an exaggeration on the actual cost of it. Just as when you catch a fish and its THIS big! Its expensive and calling it the $10m bass just reflects the silly price.

I wouldn't say no. It'll only increase in value if investment is your thing.

Dan

[quote name='Colledge' post='1009221' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:40 AM']to me that just looks like a more upmarket / better finished version of a wish bass.... no thanks.[/quote]

Ha, take away the two defining factors of a Wishbass, and most basses are a bit like them.

I think it is the sort of thing you look at and go 'urgh' but put it on and it fits like a glove. I also love comments on the good intonation on a fretless.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1009825' date='Nov 2 2010, 05:33 PM']I also love comments on the good intonation on a fretless.[/quote]
I was wondering about that.......I get the impression the seller knows nothing about what he's trying to sell!

I think Carl's basses are very interesting - in a world full of Fenders that's got to be a good thing. From what I know his motivation for making a bass was depping a gig on a Fender and being surprised at how heavy it was and how crap the balance was. I can completely understand his perspective.

I'd love to try one, and I'm pretty sure I'd like it...but they are just too pricey over here. The Claypool associations are irrelevant to an old bugger like me - I'm far more impressed that the New York jazz/session players were his main customers throughout the 70's. Carl may be a bit outspoken/eccentric but I respect his work and his background.

I was in hospital last week and got a text out of the blue from a friend informing me he'd just bought this bass!!! What goes hand in hand with all this is the sickening fear of being scammed. I flew to America when I got my CT as they are scarce and I could not be sure if therewas any scam I may miss through not being 'savvy' enough. My journey itself, was insane.

That aside, if you ever play a CT you will first notice how light they are, and how well balanced. Following this, acoustically you will notice a fantastic resonance considering the ultra light quality. The note definition is crystal and despite pickups being placed midway (which is obviously no different to what Fender and many others have done...) your hand position will dictate much of that tone and indeed my CT is very responsive to where I place my hands.

What is tougher is if you have a wooden carved bridge in that you have to file it to make it lower...I got a luthier to build me new pieces to fit the action I required. The other issue is that on a 36" scale with these is that the neck can be temperamental.

Myself and my friend have shared a passion for these basses for years - but I remember seeing Primus open up for Rush in 1992 and wondering what those odd basses were - it took a hell of a long time to find out, and even longer to find one!

Out of all my basses - it is by far the coolest and always incites a reaction.

[quote name='Twigman' post='1009855' date='Nov 2 2010, 06:59 PM']I was wondering about that.......I get the impression the seller knows nothing about what he's trying to sell![/quote]

He also points out that the neck is straight as if that's some sort of bonus you're getting for $13,000

[quote name='danny-79' post='1014654' date='Nov 6 2010, 07:15 PM']Cool bass, cool story.
With any quality instrument like that your just looking after it for the next owner so enjoy it while its yours ![/quote]

Man I wish it was mine!! But I'm lucky to own a Carl thompson at all. My mate however, now has 3! Git.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1016065' date='Nov 8 2010, 09:52 AM']You realize, of course, that we need to see pictures. I've never seen a CT in the UK, although there are rumours......[/quote]

I'll hassle him! You can just see one I'm holding in The Bass Orchestra play Star Wars (see youtube, and look up steve rickwood)