Why become a member? ×

Talk Me Out Of GAS

ezbass

OK I'm away at the in laws for the weekend and decide to visit one of the local music stores. Not too much in the way of basses, but some nice stuff nonetheless. Tried this beauty
and now I have raging GAS :) . To make matters worse the shop will do a very good price on it too, the swines!

Problem is I can't really justify it and I will have to unload one of current basses, my Roadworn P with extra P p/up. To make matters worse I'm not working much at the moment and spend most of the week volunteering so the wife will technically be buying for me. Not normally a problem as usually she would make discouraging noises, but this time not so much. Oh woe is me :) :lol:

Edited by ezbass

Find a friend who thinks that bass/guitars are overly expensive and boring that works for me. My old man is awful for deterring my interest he's all like 'thats the biz!', 'Haven't you wanted one of those for ages?', 'You only live once' etc this tends to lead to a very empty wallet and months of baked beans on toast.

Good effort guys unfortunately I'm not helping my own cause by phoning the shop and driving the price down. Looks like I'll have to start cosying up to the Mrs with statements like "this'll answer all my bass needs", etc. Hmm she's probably wise to that, but nothing ventured, etc. Watch this space.

A technique that has worked for me is to impose a "cooling off" period. Say to yourself - "If this still seems like a good idea in a month's time, then I'll get it". Chances are you'll be looking at something else by then (if you're anything like me, which, now I come to think of it, very few people seem to be! :) ).

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1009273' date='Nov 2 2010, 08:14 AM']A technique that has worked for me is to impose a "cooling off" period. Say to yourself - "If this still seems like a good idea in a month's time, then I'll get it". Chances are you'll be looking at something else by then (if you're anything like me, which, now I come to think of it, very few people seem to be! :) ).[/quote]
That's pretty good advice, but trying to keep a lid on raging GAS is tough.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tom5string' post='1009278' date='Nov 2 2010, 08:26 AM']I always found Sandbergs to sound boring and getting lost in the mix ..... keep the Roadworn, that's a great instrument![/quote]

+ 1 to this...sadly...

I had one...... for about a week. Thought it sounded good at home, build quality and finish was breathtakingly good. You would think with the MM pup it would cut through really well but not in my experience, probably the worst sounding bass i have played in a band situation.

There......that should help... :)

[quote name='TommyK' post='1021821' date='Nov 12 2010, 07:03 PM']Oh crap........ :)

Didn't see the "i've bought it" post.....Sorry...... Ignore what i said it will be great (hopefully) :) :lol:[/quote]
If it doesn't cut the mustard it goes back.