Why become a member? ×

Howard's Bass Place, Newcastle... no more.

wateroftyne

Hi all

I don't know if many of you were aware of this funky little shop, but, after many years... it has closed.

Aww. He always had a decent selection of wierd and not-so-wierd bargains lying about.

Now Newcastle is entirely at the mercy of GuitarGuitarSoundControlSoundsLiveGenericMusicShopChain. Dammit.

The shop has gone but he is still in the game.
Howard has decided to work from home.
He is still recovering from the heart attack that he had early last year.
If you want to get in touch howard is now trading as the "Bass Doctor" you can contact him on 07977 688229
He is doing all the same bass repairs builds etc.
If you need to get in touch with Howards right hand man PETE give me a PM as I play in a little trio with him.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='114108' date='Jan 5 2008, 03:48 PM']Hi all

I don't know if many of you were aware of this funky little shop, but, after many years... it has closed.

Aww. He always had a decent selection of wierd and not-so-wierd bargains lying about.

Now Newcastle is entirely at the mercy of GuitarGuitarSoundControlSoundsLiveGenericMusicShopChain. Dammit.[/quote]

Is that Howard Satterley or a different Howard?

that's a cryings shame - i used to go in there quite a bit when i lived in newcastle.

he did good quality work for next to nothing - fitting nuts, set-ups and stuff.

i bought my musicman sabre from him as well (for £550 !!!)

sad to hear about his heart attack...glad he's getting better tho'

/raises glass/ here's to howard !!!

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='114108' date='Jan 5 2008, 03:48 PM']Now Newcastle is entirely at the mercy of GuitarGuitarSoundControlSoundsLiveGenericMusicShopChain. Dammit.[/quote]

That really is a disappointment - I bought a marshall valve combo (which I still have and use) from Wally in Rock City back in the eighties, that was a cool shop, they had loads of goodies in there. I bought a Kramer guitar from a small shop next to the Baccus from a bloke called Rob who taught me to play Midnight Rambler as part of the deal. That shop used to feature in Spender if IIRC.

Hope he recovers fully.
Howard built my first 5 string in 1990 when he was building from home- such a nice guy who obviously loved what he was doing.
He built me a fretless in about 1991 which is still in circulation. Heavy bass!!

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/chardfl5.html"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/chardfl5.html[/url]

Get well Howard!

Howard is a good guy!

I've a history going back nearly 25 years with him (funnily enough starting from when he worked from home... full circle). I've barely seen him a handful of times in the last few years and I'm dismayed that I hadn't even known he'd been ill. If anyone does see him before me, give him my best (though I intend trying to make contact soon).

Howard's Bass Place... gone but not forgotten (though my wife won't miss the smell of ciggies after I'd visited the place :) )

[quote name='Sean' post='114775' date='Jan 6 2008, 04:36 PM']I bought a Kramer guitar from a small shop next to the Baccus from a bloke called Rob who taught me to play Midnight Rambler as part of the deal. That shop used to feature in Spender if IIRC.[/quote]

That was Chris and Andys on High bridge. They were Overwater. Chris May still is. I took my old precision in there once to have the frets dressed (about 1980 I think). Talking to chris at bass day, he has fond memories of the old shop.

• 4 weeks later...

Howards Shop has been a meeting/focal point for bass players in the North East for years.

Always up for a deal and loved working on Fenders, he's done work for me in the past and charged only for the parts, saying it was a pleasure to just work on the instruments.......

..... Top bloke !

There were very few visits I ever made to Newcastle without dropping in to Howie's

Mark

[quote name='funkyhobbit' post='114188' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:25 PM']The shop has gone but he is still in the game.
Howard has decided to work from home.
He is still recovering from the heart attack that he had early last year.
If you want to get in touch howard is now trading as the "Bass Doctor" you can contact him on 07977 688229
If you need to get in touch with Howards right hand man PETE give me a PM as I play in a little trio with him.[/quote]

Howard is still trading! ^

Hi mark
Ihad absolutley no idea howard had a heart attack, im glad hes pulled through, i remember the first time i met him 15 years ago i was only 18 and had no money and the tuning peg had snapped on my old ibanez musician leaving me with three strings( and i didnt know how to play with three only knew a few scale positions) and he replaced them all and charged me a couple of quid, he worked from home then too, he's such a star and i do miss him, all my basses are a bit worse for wear these days, he kept them in great nick for a long time.
It was great for meeting other players too, although i dont live there anymore newcastles lost a unique (ciggy smelling) hub for the local bass community, glad hes still working though as il call him next time im in toon. give pete my best mate heres to howard- All the best - LEE

If you need to get in touch with Howards right hand man PETE give me a PM as I play in a little trio with him

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Small world.. I just picked up a custom built 5 string Jazz from a Newcastle lad living in Paisley near Glasgow... was put together for him about 17 years ago by Howard (he worked part time in the shop) with the neck made by Jim Cairnes... nicest 'Jazz' I've played.