Why become a member? ×

Best flatwounds for P Bass

peety

I have just bought a new US Fender P and am looking to put flats on it, at the moment am using Lakland JO flats on my Bob Glaub but want to try something different on the Fender, am looking to string through the body so just wondering what people would recommend.

I have been looking at labella and Ti jazz flats and wondered if anyone had any opinions, whilst i guess a lot is down to personal preference would just be interested in other views.

For info i play in a function band doing usaul sort of covers

cheers steve

[quote name='bumnote' post='1002065' date='Oct 27 2010, 09:29 AM']I like TIs although they feel a lot different to the lakland flats, but a lot of people dont reccomend through body with flats[/quote]

Yes i noticed that before think it may be wiser to just string it through the bridge to be on the safe side.

cheers steve

Like all things strings, its a process of trying till you find something you like. So far I've tried Pyramid Gold flats, TI jazz flats, Labellas, Sadowsky, Chromes, Status Hotwires, Rotosound flats and Nylons...

TI Jazz flats - sound amazing, low tension can be a pain if you don't have a very light touch
Sadowsky - so far I'm very impressed, nice warm tone but with a little more brightness and tension
Labellas - I think I had the Jamerson set which are like suspension bridge cables, great thump sound but quite demanding to play
Chromes - not my thing at all, practically sound like rounds to me. Apparently they mellow but I dunno how long it takes.
Status Hotwires - only used for a limited time as they came on a bass I bought here. Reminded me of the Chromes but less edgy.
Rotosounds - These were my 1st choice once upon a time. Now I hate them. Very "hollow" sounding and a neck breaking tension to boot.
Roto Nylons - Bear in mind the large sizes so you might need a new nut. Nice sound but very marmite, I think you'll know straight away if you like them.
Pyramid Gold flats - jury is still out on these, initially I liked them but then went off them went I put them back to back with the TI's

So my recommendation is to try Labella's 760 FL's or the Sadowsky SBF45. Probably easier to get hold of a set of the Labellas over here though.

I've only used two brands of flats. I had Ernie Balls on first - a used set supplied by a kind Basschat member. I then bought myself a set of TIs. When I had fitted two of the TI strings, I compared them. I have to say, they sounded identical. I couldn't tell that I had two different brands of string fitted.

Just one observation FWIW.

[quote name='stevie' post='1002224' date='Oct 27 2010, 11:31 AM']I've only used two brands of flats. I had Ernie Balls on first - a used set supplied by a kind Basschat member. I then bought myself a set of TIs. When I had fitted two of the TI strings, I compared them. I have to say, they sounded identical. I couldn't tell that I had two different brands of string fitted.

Just one observation FWIW.[/quote]

Exactly, and I think the TIs are a fair whack more. I think its more the feel that people like to comment on with flats....and the ommph!

Edited by Musicman20

I used La bella (still got them,as they re best for me) TI, Roto 77 and Daddario.
TI also are great sounding abnd feeling,but they were kinda "too light" especially after La bella (Jamerson set) I felt they are being better on my jazz bass. so, it's very personal thing. I didnt like Roto - even helluva lot players plays those, including pretty big cats. D'Addario as well...

so,see for your self mate, it's only way.

plus,bear in mind that it also has a lot with the action (set up),your attack, amplifier...

and finally - La Bella can't be stringed through body... :)

[quote name='stevie' post='1002224' date='Oct 27 2010, 11:31 AM']I've only used two brands of flats. I had Ernie Balls on first - a used set supplied by a kind Basschat member. I then bought myself a set of TIs. When I had fitted two of the TI strings, I compared them. I have to say, they sounded identical. I couldn't tell that I had two different brands of string fitted.

Fair enough, but, in my experience, a brand new TI Jazz Flat does not sound like, for example, a six month or twelve month old TI Jazz Flat.

EDIT: I've never tried Ernie Balls so I have no comment on them.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1002228' date='Oct 27 2010, 11:35 AM']Exactly, and I think the TIs are a fair whack more. I think its more the feel that people like to comment on with flats....and the ommph![/quote]
I think that there is a vast difference in the upper-mids and specific brightness between the brands [b]IMHO[/b]*

*added to avoid further sarcyness. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

I keep well away from Ernie Ball flats now, have tried them a few times, not really impressed at all.

Have had an A string break and the silk wrapping come away from the core on the G, on two sets of strings, rendering the string useless.

La Bella 760FM's all the way for me.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1002248' date='Oct 27 2010, 11:46 AM']I think that there is a vast difference in the upper-mids and specific brightness between the brands [b]IMHO[/b]*[/quote]
I suppose that depends what you mean by vast. Here's a nice Youtube comparison of three different flatwounds. The differences are certainly there on those three brands. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDZJMKfgaCk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDZJMKfgaCk[/url]

Ive never tried Ernie Balls, Ive had Rotos and Lakland own but I found the rotos and lakelands to have more tension while I find the tis looser, and that is the reason I prefer them.

[quote name='bumnote' post='1002431' date='Oct 27 2010, 01:44 PM']Ive never tried Ernie Balls, Ive had Rotos and Lakland own but I found the rotos and lakelands to have more tension while I find the tis looser, and that is the reason I prefer them.[/quote]

The EBs are higher tension (Group IIIs are the ones I use) than TIs, but still with plenty of flexibility. The tension isnt that much higher at all, but its there.

I normally prefer La Bellas but I just put a fresh set on a P yesterday and they sound a bit pants!

They need to be worn in to take the edge off.

Have you tried black nylon? Status, Rotosound and La Bella make a good set of those too if you are into flat territory. I have a worn-in set on a Status S2 and I think they are my favourite strings on it.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1002796' date='Oct 27 2010, 06:05 PM']I like Rotosound & I'm a bit concerned reading Legion's post as he comes across like he might know his stuff. I think the Fender flats are ok for a starting point when getting into flats.[/quote]
I wouldn't worry - it's all down to what sort of sound you have in your head eh. It's just my experiences. If you like the roto's then thats great, as I say I used to like them as well but once I started experimenting I found other strings I liked more.