Why become a member? ×

Tuner suggestions..

Rusco

I’ve not been playing long and so far been using the free ‘Gstring’ phone application to stay in tune. I’m now want to buy a proper (accurate/reliable) tuner purely for home practice use so nothing too flash or expensive. There are loads on eBay for less than £10 but I have no idea if they are any good or just a false economy.

Any suggestions ?

Many thanks...

[quote name='chris_b' post='999822' date='Oct 25 2010, 11:22 AM']Any Korg should do the trick.[/quote]

+1 i've always used them. GAK do one for about £14 that I recommend to all my students to start with. I use a more expensive one but only because it has bright coloured LED's for low stage lighting.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1000286' date='Oct 25 2010, 06:25 PM']Are the wee clip on ones any good??

How do they work anyway?[/quote]

Not really, they work off vibrations so you need good contact with the bass. Some headstocks suit them better than others, however a lot won't pick up a low E consistently which makes them less useful for bass players

I have a little Seiko keyring tuner like this:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEIKO-CHROMATIC-ST01-KEYRING-TUNER-%ac-ONLY-%a39.99!!!_W0QQitemZ180459446732QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=158272956268&rvr_id=158272956268&cguid=fd0bb1f21260a0aad0d46ea4feaa5b9e"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEIKO-CHROMATIC-ST01...0d46ea4feaa5b9e[/url]

Surprisingly accurate and works off a little mic so will tune anything. Also really handy as it's a keyring!

I have several of [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110602209843"]these[/url] (now discontinued, sadly) and they're handy, resilient, and do the job. They can just about home in on a low B but it makes life a bit easier for them if you hit the octave harmonic. Also useful as they use PP3s, so if your active bass battery dies, you can take the one out of the tuner... :)

There's another tuner, the Fender AT-3, which looks similar but it's not chromatic.

I also like the Korg CA-30 (I think the CA-40 replaced it) - however, it does have a needle as well as lights and this seems to trigger full-on OCD in some musicians. They also do the CA-1 which doesn't go as far down as low B (it goes to one semitone above). I prefer chromatics to guitar/bass-specific tuners as you're then covered for 6- and 7-string basses, plus brass and woodwind instruments if you should ever allow them to emit sound rather than make attractive ornaments.

Ive had a Korg DT4 hanging gout the back of my amp for a couple of years now. Still no the same set of batteries although i only use it once each gig and then turn it off.

[url="http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?&pd=277"]Korg DT4[/url]

I like it for its rotating display. Its not true Strobe, but i find its easy to see from a distance and i don't have strain my eyes to see any small LED's or needles.

I do mainly use my Ipod Touch with the Peterson istrobosoft tuner for tuning at home as its very accurate.

Edited by dave_bass5

Doesn't matter what make it is, just make sure it's got a light. I bought a snazzy korg tuner took it to a gig............and I couldn't see it in the dark because it doesn't light up (so totally useless on stage).

I'll say it again........it's gotta light up!