Why become a member? ×

What to do about Niggles?

KiOgon

Ok I'm a fussy old bastard but why shouldn't I be? This cost a lot of beer tickets & I've got a few niggles, what to do?

Pickguard, doesn't sit flush on the body around the pots - I think there might be a wire trapped under but don't want to take it off yet to see. The knobs were fitted oddly, one high one low almost scratching the surface, not quite, so I've raised/lowered those OK.

Neck pocket fit - not perfect but I can live with that, (I think).

Fender decal - I can see & feel that it's 'stuck on top of the laquer', I don't know if that's how they do it on Nitro finishes?

Truss rod hole/infill at top of neck - Is not in the middle, I didn't notice it at first but it's one of those things that once you notice it's there in your face every time you pick it up!

Apart from above - it's beautiful & plays very very nicely :)

Photo's not brilliant I know but I tried to show what I mean. Your opinions please?

Cheerz, John

[quote name='Conan' post='985699' date='Oct 12 2010, 01:38 PM']Sell it and buy a Status! :lol:[/quote]
If I wanted a Status - I'd have bought a Status, in fact I was tempted by the Vintage for about the same money as the '57 :)

Edited by KiOgon

Did you pay full whack brand new?

If you arent happy, ask for another. They are NOT cheap instrument, not at all.

The neck pocket would by my main concern, but that guard isnt right either.

Ive owned a Fender a fair while back where the decal was not that great at all, but I think yours might be ok.

I agree on the truss part....annoying.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='985706' date='Oct 12 2010, 01:43 PM']Did you pay full whack brand new?[/quote]
Yes - brand new from a shop, bought online, I've been looking for 3 or 4 months, it was the best price I've seen one advertised & it was 'factory fresh'.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='985695' date='Oct 12 2010, 01:35 PM']Ok I'm a fussy old bastard but why shouldn't I be? This cost a lot of beer tickets & I've got a few niggles, what to do?

Pickguard, doesn't sit flush on the body around the pots - I think there might be a wire trapped under but don't want to take it off yet to see. The knobs were fitted oddly, one high one low almost scratching the surface, not quite, so I've raised/lowered those OK.

Neck pocket fit - not perfect but I can live with that, (I think).

Fender decal - I can see & feel that it's 'stuck on top of the laquer', I don't know if that's how they do it on Nitro finishes?

Truss rod hole/infill at top of neck - Is not in the middle, I didn't notice it at first but it's one of those things that once you notice it's there in your face every time you pick it up![/quote]
I'm assuming you can't take it back, so:
1. It's a Fender
2. Take the pick guard off and see what the problem is.
3. It's a Fender.
4. It's a Fender.
5. It's a Fender.

Number 2 I'd get checked out but the rest?!! If all my "problems" were as inconsequential as these!

I agree with chris_b, it is unfortunately part of Fenders normal production to make a few errors, but you can, by trial and error, get a very good Fender. The one I currently own is the best Ive ever owned..and Ive had a fair few.

I will say this, most the MIA basses now are much better. Although, its like a lottery as to whether you get one. You are completely in your rights to send it back and request another. The shop will just send it back and get another.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='985713' date='Oct 12 2010, 01:46 PM']Send it back. You've just paid a lot of money for some people to not do their jobs properly. I know it's hassle, but it's not good enough.[/quote]

This ^. Those little niggles will annoy you more and more as time passes. I have no idea what these basses cost, but that level of quality "control" is poor at any price.

I've just spoken with the shop;
The Decal is on top as it is a replica of a '57 & that's how they were & as I thought, the Nitro Cellulose would Fek the decal if it was applied over. That's why 50's Fenders usually have the decal worn away in places :)

The Pick guard - as suspected, I'll have to perform surgery!

The truss rod infill - maybe they're not all perfectly central? I've sent photo's for them to look at.

They don't have another in stock, will advise me on when one is expected & will 'have a word with Fender about these niggles.

Also said - if it plays well & is otherwise brilliant, well I could always get a worse one!

Cheerz for the input so far, John

i'd speak to the guys you got it from.
The pickguard gap may just be a wire, and the decal seems correct - have a look at some old fenders and it's quite pronnounced on some.
The truss rod plug seems out on the photo, but without seeing it face to face i'd reserve judgement...have you measured it to see if it's centred or actually misaligned?
They should accept it as a return and exchange it if you're unhappy.

Did you buy it through a store or online? If possible, check your replacement thouroughly before closing the matter.
If they've sent it out box fresh, they may not have spotted it and the blame lies with Fender...if they sold it as ex display then it's a shame they didn't raise these issues or rectify them, and it's their fault.
Either way, keep cool and just ask them to sort it asap.

Think it depends one a couple of things. Will these things really be your main view of the bass, the things that you think of over how well it plays and sounds. If the answer is yes, and you can`t get past them, send it back. If however the bass is truly the best example you`ve played, may be a keeper, imperfections and all.

I do agree though, for the price these basses go for, they should be perfect, but, as many others say, well thats Fender.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='985772' date='Oct 12 2010, 02:31 PM']i'd speak to the guys you got it from.
The pickguard gap may just be a wire, and the decal seems correct - have a look at some old fenders and it's quite pronnounced on some.
The truss rod plug seems out on the photo, but without seeing it face to face i'd reserve judgement...have you measured it to see if it's centred or actually misaligned?
They should accept it as a return and exchange it if you're unhappy.

Did you buy it through a store or online? If possible, check your replacement thouroughly before closing the matter.
If they've sent it out box fresh, they may not have spotted it and the blame lies with Fender...if they sold it as ex display then it's a shame they didn't raise these issues or rectify them, and it's their fault.
Either way, keep cool and just ask them to sort it asap.[/quote]
Yep, spoken to & yes measured it's 4.25mm nearer the G side.

When I 'phoned to buy, the guy said is was "factory fresh" not ex-demo or display & he would check it over before it went out the door!

The shop seem OK about it & I'm not too unhappy about it, as said it plays very nicely, the neck pocket I can live with, I think it looks worse 'cos it's white against maple, can just get a corner of a business card in at the top of the E side.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='985791' date='Oct 12 2010, 02:47 PM']Think it depends one a couple of things. Will these things really be your main view of the bass, the things that you think of over how well it plays and sounds. If the answer is yes, and you can`t get past them, send it back. If however the bass is truly the best example you`ve played, may be a keeper, imperfections and all.

I do agree though, for the price these basses go for, they should be perfect, but, as many others say, well thats Fender.[/quote]

Exactly!

Minor details - but shouldn't be, especially at the price - it's certainly a lovely player & that matters most to me.

I'm leaning towards keeping it, I've only seen one other advertised in this country & heard next deliveries won't be until January :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='985801' date='Oct 12 2010, 02:57 PM']Exactly!

Minor details - but shouldn't be, especially at the price - it's certainly a lovely player & that matters most to me.

I'm leaning towards keeping it, I've only seen one other advertised in this country & heard next deliveries won't be until January :)[/quote]

By all means if you are happy stay with it, but ive found imperfections get on my nerves if the bass was like that from new. Thats me, and im fussy! Id always worry it would spoil its value.

I doubt it would be that long, and it would be worth the wait. Ive got a 4-5 month wait on my new EBMM basses!

[quote name='KiOgon' post='985801' date='Oct 12 2010, 02:57 PM']Exactly!

I'm leaning towards keeping it, I've only seen one other advertised in this country & heard next deliveries won't be until January :)[/quote]

thats a rubbish reason for keeping it if you're not happy. send it back. They arn't that rare, i played on in the same colourway in a shop a while back

I wouldn't accept that bass to be honest. You have paid a lot of money for a premuim product, and the bass you have recieved has had poor QC.

My main concern would be the hole for the truss rod. Biggest worry, is the truss rod in the wrong place inside the neck? :)

Scratch plate is probably just a wire trapped under the edge, or perhaps the bottom of one of the pots is sat on some wiring, pushing it upwards?