Why become a member? ×

DR Neon strings!!

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='967845' date='Sep 25 2010, 06:04 PM']I find the black beauty coating very robust playing both fingerstyle and slap. It wears down on the bit that contacts the frets (which you don't see) but I haven't noticed any flaking and after a good 8 or 9 months I'm still happy with the feel and tone of them on my jazz, and I really don't like dead strings. A pick would probably be a bit much for them though.[/quote]

I used the black and the blue ones.
They wear out at the fret contacts very slightly only. Slowly. I found they wear out a lot more on the areas where I hit/pluck/pop strings (fingerstyle only) but it takes a while. However the strings retain brightness for longer than normal strings, so they stayed on for longer too. Those areas will not look luminous anymore, but I don't think it'd look bad.
No noticeable flaking.

[quote name='skej21' post='967933' date='Sep 25 2010, 08:04 PM']Slightly unrelated, but I tried DR Black Beauties a few years ago and they went dead VERY quickly. Is this a common problem with DR strings, or did I just get a bad set?[/quote]
I have used DR BBs for a two years, I replace them about every six months. I've never had a set go dead. They are superb strings and I have tried many brands and types.

[quote name='harlowbassplayer' post='974333' date='Oct 1 2010, 04:55 PM']i have always wanted to try those strings but so much money :lol: has anyone got any used one they dont mind letting me have :)[/quote]
I keep telling people to buy them from the states. They are much cheaper and I have never been stung for import duty yet.

[url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=DR+black+beauties+bass&_sacat=See-All-Categories#"]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories#[/url]

[quote name='silddx' post='974336' date='Oct 1 2010, 04:59 PM']I keep telling people to buy them from the states. They are much cheaper and I have never been stung for import duty yet.

[url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=DR+black+beauties+bass&_sacat=See-All-Categories#"]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories#[/url][/quote]

cheers i will have to have a look

[quote name='Higgie' post='969059' date='Sep 27 2010, 01:19 AM']It's a shame they are always colourful - Would have been much better if they were UV Revealing, ie look like normal strings, then you hit the UV light on and the strings light up![/quote]

I thought that's how they work, or have I missed something?

I luv them....but would have sit here with a UV light source all the time!

[quote name='Rich44' post='974391' date='Oct 1 2010, 06:02 PM']I love the peacock blue-ish colour they do. They must look great on stage, but one thing I've always wondered, does the colour not rub off onto your hands/the bridge/nut, say if you sweat?[/quote]

I used the blue strings you mention on my Warwick Corvette $$. NO colour rubs on you. The plastic coating does flake off eventually in areas where you pluck often, but it takes a while.

[quote name='Rich44' post='974391' date='Oct 1 2010, 06:02 PM']I love the peacock blue-ish colour they do. They must look great on stage, but one thing I've always wondered, does the colour not rub off onto your hands/the bridge/nut, say if you sweat?[/quote]

I've used the DR Black Beauties and Red Devils.. The only noticeable change in the strings over 5 months was that using a Pick really wears the colour off them..

Fingerstyle was fine though, the only bits that wore off were the bits against the frets
AND the colour does rub off on anything!

I highly recommend DR coated strings, I just can't afford them again :)