Why become a member? ×

Favourite pickup configuration?

Mikeg

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='967001' date='Sep 24 2010, 06:11 PM']but E Sharp dont mention the "sweet spot" as you will get BigRedX going off again! :lol:[/quote]
Ha ha , you're probably right .

The sweet spot , as I see it , is sort of anywhere between the 'P' and MM position . Sort of like Esh Various rear pick up , or the front pick up of a Vigier Passion . I've had shed loads of basses over the years , and played others , and I've yet to hear a rear pick up that stands up on it's own . I realise I may be rubbing people up by stating this , but this is just as I've found it . All of the 2 pick up basses , when the rear is selected , need some blend of the front , to give a bit of weight ( unless it's a solo - chordal piece etc , then fair do's ) . Which , IMO , is one of the reasons for the beauty of the Stingray , and why the Sabre never caught on in the same way (and before I'm slated by Sabre lovers , I owned a nice Pre EB one for years - Rhino's got it now ) . The MM HH has it's rear pick up in the Stingray position , and another up front (same as the Warwick $$) , so the rear pick up is meaty in it's own right .

I'm not trying to be confrontational , or trying to wind people up over this , but this is just my opinion , and judging by the amount of 2 pick up basses , I'm probably in a minority here . I do own 2 pick up basses that I like , it's just I don't tend to use them much .

Feel free to slate me , as it's getting that time of night where a few drinks are down . :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='967811' date='Sep 25 2010, 05:18 PM']The Sheehan Neck HB and P mid. Doesn't sound great alone, but great in a band setting. Especially live.
Warwicks J/JJ as seen in Dolphin/Infinity/Vampyre etc. As long as the JJ is tapped.[/quote]

I'm the opposite :) i find the sheehan works a charm solod but in band i use Hum buckers "usually" or a classic P pick up flying solo!

Hmm... I [b]do[/b] enjoy using the humbucker / P configuration in this beastie;

(That's the epically-named Fret-King Blue Label Ventura Super 80, BTW.)

Warm and growly, monsterous rock tone. Course you can single out either the bucker, p or j on their own too. The P/J is most versatile. Half the time I can't make my mind up...

Next bass I am getting GAS for some simplicity, a classic passive P should do it! Although those new Fender American Deluxe P's look gorgeous, passive/active P/J configuration on those doesn't exactly simplify matters though. :)

Edited by fragglefart

[quote name='fragglefart' post='970086' date='Sep 27 2010, 09:38 PM']Hmm... I [b]do[/b] enjoy using the humbucker / P configuration in this beastie;

(That's the epically-named Fret-King Blue Label Ventura Super 80, BTW.)

Warm and growly, monsterous rock tone. Course you can single out either the bucker, p or j on their own too. The P/J is most versatile. Half the time I can't make my mind up...

Next bass I am getting GAS for some simplicity, a classic passive P should do it! Although those new Fender American Deluxe P's look gorgeous, passive/active P/J configuration on those doesn't exactly simplify matters though. :)[/quote]

Read about that in Bass guitar mag,

i'd buy one if i could be bothered to re-wire it to have a voulume per pickup instead of a 3 way switch/ make on off buttons, but the effor/cost might be too much if i mess up haha!

they do sound pretty good though!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='970162' date='Sep 27 2010, 10:42 PM']Read about that in Bass guitar mag,

i'd buy one if i could be bothered to re-wire it to have a voulume per pickup instead of a 3 way switch/ make on off buttons, but the effor/cost might be too much if i mess up haha!

they do sound pretty good though![/quote]

Not sure I follow; the three volume pots are independent for each pickup, and the 5-way switch allows for 5 pickup selections HB - HB&P - P - P&J - J.

If you have, say, Humbucker & P selected, you still have a volume switch for each pickup independent from each other, for blending.

Only options you don't have is HB&J or HB&P&J simultaneously.