Why become a member? ×

What do you keep at work that helps your craving?

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='965190' date='Sep 22 2010, 06:59 PM']Assume you are allowed to, or are your own boss, what are the essential items you'd keep at work?

What are yours?[/quote]

I quit working so I could devote 24/7/365 to what I wanted for a change.

Actually became 100% disabled so my time is my time and I spend my time as I see fit.

My osteoporosis got so bad that the doc ordered me to never pick up anything more than 10 lbs - so if I have to pick up something that weighs too much I have to start shucking clothing - and that isn't a pretty picture for an employer to see.

Nor customers.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='965191' date='Sep 23 2010, 03:09 AM']I quit working so I could devote 24/7/365 to what I wanted for a change.

Actually became 100% disabled so my time is my time and I spend my time as I see fit.

My osteoporosis got so bad that the doc ordered me to never pick up anything more than 10 lbs - so if I have to pick up something that weighs too much I have to start shucking clothing - and that isn't a pretty picture for an employer to see.

Nor customers.[/quote]

I am very sorry to hear that, and I mean it as I have a disabled 17 years old son in a wheelchair so I can fully understand the struggles. Look on the bright side, at least you have lived most of your life walking and living normally whereas my son was born with cerebral palsy and has never been able to walk, kick a ball or do what other children do.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='965194' date='Sep 22 2010, 08:15 PM']I am very sorry to hear that, and I mean it as I have a disabled 17 years old son in a wheelchair so I can fully understand the struggles. Look on the bright side, at least you have lived most of your life walking and living normally whereas my son was born with cerebral palsy and has never been able to walk, kick a ball or do what other children do.[/quote]

That's a heart-ripper alright!

How badly disabled is he - [i]even though I know it's none of my business[/i] - but does he play any music or does he not do that?

Even singing or whistling is a unique talent in and of itself.

My heart - once it restarts - goes out to you and whomever helps take care of him. My prayers for you too.

I work from home, having music gear to hand (especially drums) really helps me to relax when things get really stressful. 10 minutes playing is usually enough to calm down and come up with a solution to any work problem.

If your boss allows it, I'd definitely recommend having a bass to hand at work. (assuming you're not a aeroplane pilot, bus driver, brain surgeon etc.)

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='965201' date='Sep 23 2010, 06:27 AM']That's a heart-ripper alright!

How badly disabled is he - [i]even though I know it's none of my business[/i] - but does he play any music or does he not do that?[/quote]

Well he is unable to walk, but luckily he is 90% able from the waist up, and yes he is a musician too, I have been teaching him to play guitar (my other vice) for the last 5 years. However he is pretty limited to what he can do with his hands, and muscles coordination because Cerebral Palsy inovolves 2 major set backs: irregular muscle tone / strength and coordination between brain signals and muscle response. So he has issues with speed and endurance, and can only play so long before he needs a break. In the last 2 years he has been attending a music technology college course where he is learning ways of making and arranging computer music with the use of Pro Tools, Logic, Reasons and all the trickery which is available today. His aim is to become either a recording studio producer or arranger for computer music. The stuff you can do with pc's today seems to have no limits and the technology gallops forward at a very fast pace. He's already sampled my bass sound and created a few songs using it. So there is hope.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='51m0n' post='965441' date='Sep 23 2010, 11:42 AM']A copy of Reaper - I dont do bass but I sometimes have a bit of a fiddle with a mix :lol:[/quote]
Ooooh, me too!!! Plus I often bring my bass to work to have a noodle at lunch-time, especially if I've got a gig/practice straight after work

Have been building a DAW using Reaper, and a couple of monitors (well, when I say 'monitors' I mean a 17" TFT as a [i]secondary[/i] :) - the primary display is our works' Sony 40" HDTV). Reaper works a [i]lot[/i] better on a big f***-off HD display (1080p) - oh, [i]yeah!!![/i] :rolleyes:

Ian

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='965190' date='Sep 23 2010, 02:59 AM']Assume you are allowed to, or are your own boss, what are the essential items you'd keep at work?

Here are mine

What are yours?[/quote]

Can i come and work for you?

It would be a very bad idea for me to have a bass at work, every time i get one delivered here i spend all day noodling on it and get bugger all done.