Why become a member? ×

Double Bass = babe magnet

Beedster

Walked through the centre of town with my DB last night and, as was consistently remarked on by the guys in the band, the double bass has the same affect on women as a small baby or Dalmation puppy, just makes go all kinda weak at the knees! Seriously, the level off attention it was quite remarkable :)

Chris

PS I'd like to stay and chat but I've got to take the DB for a walk

:) Completely agree, it's quite bizarre... although I hasten to add I think it's very much the instrument not the playerwith me! First time I took one down to the local Open Mic I suddenly had loads of people I'd seen month in month out suddenly come up and talk to me. I was inexplicably promoted to "one of those clever b**tards that can play anything" (my previous performances on other instruments hadn't warranted such an observation) and I suddenly find that despite playing similar lines the perception of the bass player goes from "crap guitarist" to "musician". FYI it also seems to work for mandolin, although in a slightly less dramatic way

Around here everybody also seems to default to a Carry On Film status and remark on it's size too :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' post='960367' date='Sep 18 2010, 01:29 PM']I guess you can give the dalmation puppy and small baby back to their owners now, Beedster :o

I just wear a Johnny Depp mask[/quote]

I normally wear a Clarky mask :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='960394' date='Sep 18 2010, 02:07 PM']:rolleyes: Completely agree, it's quite bizarre... although I hasten to add I think it's very much the instrument not the playerwith me! First time I took one down to the local Open Mic I suddenly had loads of people I'd seen month in month out suddenly come up and talk to me. I was inexplicably promoted to "one of those clever b**tards that can play anything" (my previous performances on other instruments hadn't warranted such an observation) and I suddenly find that despite playing similar lines the perception of the bass player goes from "crap guitarist" to "musician". FYI it also seems to work for mandolin, although in a slightly less dramatic way

Around here everybody also seems to default to a Carry On Film status and remark on it's size too :P[/quote]

Totally agree, there's a 'you must be a REAL musician to play that'. Odd, 'cos I'm really very crap :lol:

Re. size, a girl last night said "ooooh, that's a VERY big guitar", to which I replied "I know, I got the wrong size, I'm just taking this one back to the shop" which, despite it's scoring 1/10 on the humour scale, made her laugh to a disproportionate degree. It's the DB=BM equation again :o

C

Ooh, I'm liking the sound of this :)

When I bought mine, just carrying it to the car i had total strangers stopping me to chat. Amazing.

True, i am the type of person people stop and talk to in the street, but only if they want money. :rolleyes:

An exception was a day in a country town when, unknown to me, some radio DJ had announced there would be a mystery man walking the streets, and if girls stopped him and said a magic password they'd win a prize. For some reason, every girl in town thought it was me. For a while I thought I'd been reincarnated.

Well, i'm getting that 'born again better looking' feeling once more. :lol:

Edited by fatback

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Zach' post='1089596' date='Jan 14 2011, 05:58 PM']i've been playing two months, never live, and i've already found this to be true. Talking to a violinist, mentioned I'm learning double bass, was an instant success.[/quote]

I'm so outraged by the cheapening of this majestic instrument to status of a babe attracting prop that even though I only got mine yesterday, I'm taking it back to the shop today.

To get another one!!!!

I totally noticed the effect on people on the way home with it for the first time yesterday and was well chuffed at the future potential!

[quote name='Beedster' post='960364' date='Sep 18 2010, 01:26 PM']Walked through the centre of town with my DB last night and, as was consistently remarked on by the guys in the band, the double bass has the same affect on women as a small baby or Dalmation puppy, just makes go all kinda weak at the knees! Seriously, the level off attention it was quite remarkable :)

Chris

PS I'd like to stay and chat but I've got to take the DB for a walk[/quote]
I dunno about that - I've got 3 kids and used to drag a DB around and women never give me a second glance - that said they're all over my son like a rash, which is a bit of a worry for me....

Strange isn't it ?
even my long suffering wife, who's eyes glaze over at the mention of any new bass related equipment after all these years was quite interested in the recent pic of me pretending that I knew how to play Moonbass' lovely NS WAV 4 at the recent East Anglia Bass Bash. Caption added by my son who has just discovered Photoshop.