Why become a member? ×

62RI Jazz question?

waynepunkdude

The stack knob Fender Jazz Bass with 2 knobs was actually a 1960/61. 1961/62 was when the 3 knobs appeared and neither the 60/61 or 61/62 had block inlays Fender issued them late 60's and through the 70's.

But stack knobs and block inlays is a Jazz Bass I'd like to see. I'd buy one!

Edited by gjones

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='955566' date='Sep 13 2010, 11:36 PM']oh and some jap ones have basswood body and jap vintage pups, others have alder body and USA pups.

If they don't have the spiral bridge and the grounding strip it may not be a 62 ri....[/quote]

It had both those things, the thing that aroused my suspicions was when I asked the shop guy the original questions he said "It's a re-issue of something" didn't give me much confidence.

He had up for £550 and it was a nice bass TBF.

If it's got the spiral bridge it sounds kosher to me. A far as the jap ones are concerned, the cheaper range with the basswood bodies have non spiral bridges, smaller mounts on the machine heads, and no strap button on the back of the headstock. They're not as desirable as the alder bodied basses but can still be quite good - my 'go to' bass is a jap basswood one.

Find out where it's made (headstock or back of neck near body)and maybe post serial number ob here for further info.

As previously stated - block necks come later and stacked knobs are pre 62. Keep us posted!

Fender caused all this nonsense back in the '80s by naming the stack-knob reissue a '62 reisssue' when, in fact, the stackers were made between '60-'61 with a few leftovers being punted out in '62. It should really, therefore, be called the 1960 reissue.

The 62RIs coming out if Japan should, as stated, have the spiral bridge and grounding strap. As far as I know they're all alder though would not discount the use of basswood. They'll have the dot neck and three pot config.

[quote name='Stacker' post='955760' date='Sep 14 2010, 09:57 AM']Fender caused all this nonsense back in the '80s by naming the stack-knob reissue a '62 reisssue' when, in fact, the stackers were made between '60-'61 with a few leftovers being punted out in '62. It should really, therefore, be called the 1960 reissue.

The 62RIs coming out if Japan should, as stated, have the spiral bridge and grounding strap. As far as I know they're all alder though would not discount the use of basswood. They'll have the dot neck and three pot config.[/quote]

Stacker - they do two models from Japan - I know cos I've got one of each - Fretless Alder - us pups, spiral bridge, vintage reverse tuners and strap peg on the back of the headstock, and a fretted basswood one, jap pups, normal bridge, lightweight tuners, no peg on the back of the headstock one. The alder model is obviously more desirable and a more true to life replica, however the basswood ones can be nice as well.

Col

[quote name='King Tut' post='955875' date='Sep 14 2010, 11:56 AM']Stacker - they do two models from Japan - I know cos I've got one of each - Fretless Alder - us pups, spiral bridge, vintage reverse tuners and strap peg on the back of the headstock, and a fretted basswood one, jap pups, normal bridge, lightweight tuners, no peg on the back of the headstock one. The alder model is obviously more desirable and a more true to life replica, however the basswood ones can be nice as well.

Col[/quote]

three actually,
the standard one, which isn't a reissue at all, basswood, jap pups, etc etc
the 62RI which is basswood, jap pups and the vintage features like the grounding strip and strap pin on headstock.
and the 62RI-US which has the alder and USA pups as well.

but thats currently and back in the past I've no doubt it was different at various times.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='955709' date='Sep 14 2010, 08:50 AM']the thing that aroused my suspicions was when I asked the shop guy the original questions he said "It's a re-issue of something" didn't give me much confidence.[/quote]
I think a lot of shops are run by guitarists who know very little about bass. I'll never forget being in the Vintage & Rare Guitar Shop in Bath and they had a 51RI P-bass. When I asked about it the guy in the shop was really pompous and kept saying that Fender basses weren't invented in 1951. I struggle to think of a better example of somebody talking a customer out of sale. :)

edited because I type like a 3yr old!

Edited by BurritoBass

Just curious- did you know, that the copper strip is only thing of design? Only those early models had it because of function, after that, luthiers found better technology how to drill holes in the bass and ground the bridge "under the surface" :) Sorry for little OT.