Why become a member? ×

P bass GAS driving me mad

luckman67

Recently I have had really bad GAS for a Precision bass,which is strange considering that when I started learning the bass guitar back in 1987 the only basses for beginners were either P or J style. So for the next 20 years I tried to avoid these type of basses,right up until Christmas 2008. My girlfriend bought me back my old 1989 Squier Precision & since then the urge for either a secondhand MIM or HW1 Precision has been driving me mad,& I can't understand why.

There even seems to be more threads regarding P basses, is there a renewed interest in the Precision or is it that after 23 years I may just like the simple passive beauty of one pickup & one volume and tone.

Without wanting to be the devil on yr shoulder, as opposed to the angel, do it - you know you want to.

Think the humble P Bass has always been popular, but that many people after having tried this bass, these features, that manufacturer etc, come to the realisation that what is special about the P Bass is in fact it`s simplicity, and the way that it just sits in the mix so well. Many other basses sound far better on their own, but in a band context the P Bass just works so well.

[quote name='luckman67' post='955382' date='Sep 13 2010, 09:02 PM']......the Squier is a nice bass BUT I would guess that the Fender version would be better.[/quote]

Not necessarily.
If your 1989 Squier is a good one (most were), I'd definitely hold on to it. You can always upgrade the pickups, if you feel the need to.

Edited by nick

I meant no disrespect at all to any Squier owners,the only thing that bugs me about my Squier is that the body (to me) looks slimmer than a MIM or MIA and even the Squier CV. I could be wrong as I am not as clued up on the P bass as others are. You read threads about bassists being really happy with their Squier Affinity P, & I'm envious that I can't be that happy unless it's the real thing ( It's just me I guess). Plus the one big thing for me regarding the Precision was the 70's headstock logo,to this day I still think it's the best one that was on a Precision.

Yes... been there! My three main basses were all actives and we were out doing some festies and I thought I just needed an uncomplicated passive bass so I looked round the bay and found this...

(Just to get you gassing more...)

a 2002 MiM, bought blind and it turned out to be a very nice example. Added some bling of course!

[quote name='cameltoe' post='955466' date='Sep 13 2010, 09:57 PM']I can understand this.

I have a precision, and it's a lovely example, but I still GAS badly for other versions.

I'd love an American Standard. I'd love a older (90's) CIJ Precision,

....BUT I'd sell my gran to get this:[/quote]

i played one in a shop, not a million miles better than the CIJ version I had. Main difference was the finish. My Jap one had a better neck.

and to the OP, if your squier has a good neck just upgrade that. Other wise I doubt it will be that much worse than MIM or whatever.
Otherwise go for a jap fender

[quote name='luckman67' post='955442' date='Sep 13 2010, 09:43 PM']You read threads about bassists being really happy with their Squier Affinity P, & I'm envious that I can't be that happy unless it's the real thing ( It's just me I guess).[/quote]

You know you can get some really sh*tty MIA and MIM "real" Fenders. You pay a hell of a large premium for that decal on the headstock. Some play like a dream, but ask yourself if it's worth an additional £600 to the Squier CV series? If you're happy with that, go for it, but personally I'd be investigating the CVs before I headed down the vintage or Road Worn route.

I have heard a lot of good things regarding the CIJ basses, & I know that a name on a headstock does not make it better but in this case I will have to get a secondhand Fender Precision. This is why I'm going down the secondhand route just in case after saving up & it's not quite what I was thinking it would be. But there are a lot of upgradable parts you can get for the Precision unlike my Ric 4003.

There is nothing quite like a good P! I have also avoided P's for years and years. Then I bought one just for the fun of it, and what an eye-opening experience that was?!!! I never had a better sound, and almost instantly my search for the perfect boutique Jazz-on-steroids was replaced for my search for the perfect P :) Apparently, GAS never disappears - it is just being replaced by a different kind fo GAS!

[quote name='cocco' post='955862' date='Sep 14 2010, 11:36 AM']90s CIJ is the only way to go I promise. They are ridiculously brilliant![/quote]

I'll second that!

I played one recently, it was battered, bruised, the roundwounds on it were so old they sounded deader than flatwounds, but it played SOOOOOO well!!!!!

Really light, perfectly balanced, ridiculously low action. Wonderful.

The Squier CV series is definitely worth looking at though, and TBH I'd investigate that before a MIM Standard. Having said that, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the secondhand prices between the two (maybe £50ish), and the new MIM Standards look and feel better than previous versions.

There was a really nice MIM Classic 50's Precision in Honey Blonde in the for sale section recently, they are really nice instruments and feel a good step up in quality over MIM Standard (my opinion), if you can handle the vintage neck profile.

I'm still gassing for a CV Squier in Fiesta Red (another P to the list....). I have the CV 50's P, and it's awesome.

I'm in the same boat!! I love my Geddy Jazz, but I feel the urge for a Fender P in 3 tone sunburst to match it. 90% of the colours I see put me right off. Fiesta Red? Honey Blonde? urg!! :rolleyes: it has to be 3T-SB!!! Trouble is that I dont see many of them. I dont really want to pay £700 at something just for GAS, and I dont see many CIJ basses around (now that Old Git has moved on :) ) I need to go into town and play a few P's. I do remember liking the Highway One but the Geddy impressed me with the smooth neck so I hunted down a better priced one.

The whole thing is a tad confusing, so many possibilities, years, prices... Has anyone made a checklist/spreadsheet breakdown of what you get in what model/year/price?

The search continues...!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

There is a HW1 in one of the guitar shops where I live so I may go there on Saturday & have a go of it. Like Boombass said I avoided Precisions for almost 20 years,due to the facts that they were everywhere (copies included) & I thought they looked plain and bulky. Yet here I am now playing my Squier & badly wanting a Fender, and asking my girlfriend if I can have money for Christmas to go towards my Fender fund.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone should own a Precision.

All my heroes played Precisions and they're the only Fender that I would ever want. I would say that my love affair with Precision only extends to 3 tone sunbursts with rosewood necks and doesn't include their pickup systems.

Over the years I guess that Fender haven't changed as much as I have and if I got another I would definitely want to change the pickups. My ideal bass would be a 35” scale, 3TS 5 string. It’s a pity Fender don’t make one that beats the competition or I’d already own one.