Why become a member? ×

Awww sh*t.... I've joined a Muse tribute band

far0n

Bloody hell... where do I start ? I've narrowed it down to possibly 3 units... a Boss GT-10B, Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live and a Korg AX3000B. I'd prefer to get the one that has more suitable bass synth sounds, not really interested in masses of amp and cab modeling really. Anyway, I'd heard that this Chris Wolstenholme chap uses an Akai Deep Impact and possibly a Big Muff... but frankly the GT-10B is the same price as a Deep Impact !

As usual...all opinions and advice welcome :)

There is a youtube link,, showing how to get the hysteria? sound from a GT6B,,, usually come for sale on here for not much,,you do need to take some time to get to love it tho,,and reading the manual is like platting fog..

Best of luck with the venture btw.

I used to have a Deep Impact and didnt really find it useful for any Muse songs. All their synth stuff is done in the studio so none of the sounds were helpful.

If you get your fuzz then you're halfway there. I think he used to run the Big Muff in parallel with a Human Gear Animato distortion, using a Boss LS-2. I found using an MXR Blowtorch to get pretty close to his synthy fuzz tone for a one pedal solution.

Although I can't comment on the other units - I would like to upgrade you from the Line6 XT to the X3 Live instead. - The XT only allows you to run one signal path at a time. ie:

Bass> XT in>Pedal>Amp>Cab>Mic>effects> out

Whereas the X3 allows you to run two totally seperate signal paths, for example:

Bass> X3 in1>Synth Pedal>Bass Amp>Cab>Mic>Stereo chorus> out
X3 in2>Distortion Pedal>Guitar Amp>Cab>Mic>stereo multitap delay> out

In the above example I have given you a clean STEREO bass tone with a synth sound mixed with a distorted guitar tone with Stereo delay - both mixed at the left and right outputs. Kinda the sort of thing you'd be looking to do with that little Hysteria ditty they do :)) - Use a distorted guitar amp patch with the bass, instead of 'pedal distortions' to give a more realistic 'distorted amp' tone.

I am sure there are better units out there - but this is one I use as described.

So basically you can add more than one effect but have them not influence each other ?

[quote name='dood' post='953513' date='Sep 12 2010, 12:56 PM']Although I can't comment on the other units - I would like to upgrade you from the Line6 XT to the X3 Live instead. - The XT only allows you to run one signal path at a time. ie:

Bass> XT in>Pedal>Amp>Cab>Mic>effects> out

Whereas the X3 allows you to run two totally seperate signal paths, for example:

Bass> X3 in1>Synth Pedal>Bass Amp>Cab>Mic>Stereo chorus> out
X3 in2>Distortion Pedal>Guitar Amp>Cab>Mic>stereo multitap delay> out

In the above example I have given you a clean STEREO bass tone with a synth sound mixed with a distorted guitar tone with Stereo delay - both mixed at the left and right outputs. Kinda the sort of thing you'd be looking to do with that little Hysteria ditty they do :)) - Use a distorted guitar amp patch with the bass, instead of 'pedal distortions' to give a more realistic 'distorted amp' tone.

I am sure there are better units out there - but this is one I use as described.[/quote]

Oooh

If you want to nail the sound exactly be prepared to spend A LOT on effects, loopers to split the signals and probably 3 amps (nevermind the basses).

If you are looking for more of an approximation go with -

Jazz Bass

2 Big Muffs - 1 Russian (for a more intense Fuzz) and 1 Bass Big Muff (for a more blended sound)

1 Digitech Bass Synth Wah

1 Korg G-5 if you can find one (instead of the crazily overpriced Deep Impact)

1 EH Small Clone Chorus

& if budget were to allow an EH Small Stone Phaser

Thats what i'd do. His core sounds are a mix of heavy and blended fuzzes and more synthesized tones.

A multi will only get you so far...

Also its also a common misconception that the Time Is Running Out tone comes from the Deep Impact, it is actually blended clean and fuzz tones (from Russian Big Muff) underneath a Roland synth (cant remember which at the mo).

[quote name='far0n' post='953980' date='Sep 12 2010, 08:30 PM']So basically you can add more than one effect but have them not influence each other ?[/quote]

Yes, kinda. Two seperate chains - so for example if you had a distortion and a chorus in one and a clean bass, octave and delay in the other, when you played you'd here both - but if you stopped - all of the echos would just be clean octaved bass, not distorted chorus.

Or another way to describe it - you could have a chain with mono clean bass and another with some wide stereo distortion on it. The resultant tone would be pretty huge as there would be nothing eating away your bottom end - and across a recorded stereo mix, it would sound pretty lush (if you spent the time to make it sound realisitic of course) - great for playing in a three piece when the guitarist goes off to do a solo!

There are limitations to how many effects you can have in each of the two signal paths. It's certainly not as flexible as my TC GForce was - but I don't think that 90% of guitarists make use of the infinite chaining options anyway!

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='956216' date='Sep 14 2010, 04:48 PM']Oooh

If you want to nail the sound exactly be prepared to spend A LOT on effects, loopers to split the signals and probably 3 amps (nevermind the basses).

Jazz Bass

2 Big Muffs - 1 Russian (for a more intense Fuzz) and 1 Bass Big Muff (for a more blended sound)

1 EH Small Clone Chorus

Thats what i'd do. His core sounds are a mix of heavy and blended fuzzes and more synthesized tones.

Also its also a common misconception that the Time Is Running Out tone comes from the Deep Impact, it is actually blended clean and fuzz tones (from Russian Big Muff) underneath a Roland synth (cant remember which at the mo).[/quote]

...........and don't forget - smoke a pipe!!!! :)

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='956216' date='Sep 14 2010, 04:48 PM']Oooh

Jazz Bass

1 EH Small Clone Chorus

Also its also a common misconception that the Time Is Running Out tone comes from the Deep Impact, it is actually blended clean and fuzz tones (from Russian Big Muff) underneath a Roland synth (cant remember which at the mo).[/quote]

You could also consider a Prunes & Custard in the mix too - he uses one - it gets you a nice slightly squelchy synth-fuzz in one pedal. And a Boss LS-2 is pretty handy for balancing the levels of a two separate fx loops, very handy if you're running a couple of different kinds of fuzz.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was in a Muse Tribute I used a combination of the Korg AXB3000 with individual pedals. These were a Blowtorch, Boss ODB-3 and a Boss CEB-3. If you try to replicate exactly the sound of Time is Running Out, Hysteria, Uprising etc.. you'll end up going round in circles and spending a fortune ( I know from experience! ) I found the above pedals got me as close as I needed to the sounds, but then again it depends on the guitar and amp set-up.
I would definitely recommend the Blowtorch for Muse sounds, but I'm sure other members of this forum will recommend other pedals. Feel free to drop me a pm if you want any more advice.

I know Chris doesn't use one, but the sfx Micro Fuzz is a great alternative to the muff for Muse type sounds. Tons more low end and a synthy edge when set to high gain. If you want one small pedal that will get you in the ballpark for Time Is Running Out, Starlight, etc it's definitely worth checking out. Unlike most fuzzes, it retains the DEEP lows that hit you in the chest!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='982360' date='Oct 9 2010, 05:37 PM']I know Chris doesn't use one, but the sfx Micro Fuzz is a great alternative to the muff for Muse type sounds. Tons more low end and a synthy edge when set to high gain. If you want one small pedal that will get you in the ballpark for Time Is Running Out, Starlight, etc it's definitely worth checking out. Unlike most fuzzes, it retains the DEEP lows that hit you in the chest![/quote]
That is a cool sounding pedal in clips.

Another that'll get you close (a LOT closer than a standard muff) is the TakeFlight GOOSE, and they're relatively inexpensive.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5zTl61qv3E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5zTl61qv3E[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-zT6YBUbA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-zT6YBUbA...feature=related[/url]

• 1 month later...

I'm a big Muse fan, I've seen them lots of times, and that youTube clip of Chris's gear is awesome. I need to take a plunge and start using different signal chains! Any advice? On this thread I've seen the Deep Impact mentioned a couple of times - I was watching a Deep Impact on eBay, it's gone out of my price range now with a day left to run, but I thought I'd mention it if any of you guys with deeper pockets fancy it.