Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a new Amp Head

Spoombung

After trying out my old [b]H/H amp[/b] with a TC Electronic 210 cab recently after some time away from it, I was surprised how much I know longer liked the sound - and the in-built compressor (I was particularly fond of) in the amp seemed to strangle the sound. Maybe I've improved my technique lately, who knows? It may have suited me then but I'm not sure if it suits me now. Anyway, I'm going to have a think and look for a new amp in the next few weeks.

I had a lovely [b]Selmer Treble & Bass[/b] 100 watt in the old days and I really liked the sound of it but sold it off when I got the H/H. Being all valve it had a pleasing soft and rich sound but enough high end if I wanted. It never distorted (I'm not fan of distortion of any kind on a bass).

So, can you recommend me;

1. Something that has the characteristic richness of a valve amp (it could be a valve pre-amp and solid state or an all valve amp)

2. Optional compressor built in

3. 60 - 100 watt

4. Nothing with a noisy fan in the amp head!

5. Up to a grand - I'll pay in installments if necessary.

I'm currently using a humble Roland Cube 30 at the moment which sounds very nice to my ears, but I need something that can compete with a drum kit.

Thanks guys

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='thebassman' post='948790' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:52 PM']There is a guy selling a fender baseman 135 on here.
Should fit most of your requirements.[/quote]
I was just going to post that. They're not the lightest but amazing tone & I swear by mine. I'm amazed his hasn't sold in 2 days, hell of a deal

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='948838' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:23 PM']I was just going to post that. They're not the lightest but amazing tone & I swear by mine. I'm amazed his hasn't sold in 2 days, hell of a deal[/quote]

Trouble is, I remember them sounding a bit dull - then fuzzy and hairy when you turned them up. Hmmm

[quote name='yybass' post='948842' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:29 PM']If you know some-one that owns either a Aguilar DB750 or DB751, check it out. DB750 noisey fan until you turn up the volume and the DB751 nice & quiet.
Delivery of tone & headroom outstanding.

Good luck :)[/quote]

Thanks, but no thanks. Anything with fans = AVOID. And that one has two.

[quote name='DaveB' post='948909' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:24 PM']Try a Markbass tube. I just got the tube800 and am very pleased with the huge range of sounds from it, the tube in the pre amp is adjustable and can become very warm. TC electronics do a very good compressor peddle to add.[/quote]

That looks like worth a look..

[quote name='umph' post='948993' date='Sep 7 2010, 11:33 PM']keep your eye out on ebay, also i may be getting a few to do up soon, if i do want me to drop you a pm when they're done?[/quote]

Yes I certainly will. Please let me know. Is that what you do then; fix amps?

Edited by Spoombung

Other than all valve, you'll be hard pressed to find a 'modern' amp that doesn't have a fan of some description. What do you have against them? When you're playing with a drummer you're unlikely to ever hear it anyway!

You could try a Trace Elliot V-Type head/combo. I recently bought a V-Type preamp and it's full of vintage valve goodness! There's also the Mesa Walkabout head/combo which sounds really nice and valvey. There's the Orange Terror Bass head too. I've always sworn by the Ashdown ABM, but very few others seem to like them nowadays - both mine are the (better for me) original, pre-EVO models. These are all valve pre/solid state amp over 300 watts, but if you're playing with a drummer you'll need more than 60 solid state watts if you ask me. If you want to go uder modern you could try the TC Electronics RH450 - it seems to do vintage VERY well by all accounts.

Look out for a used SWR220 head, and get one of Alex's 1x12 Barefaced cabs.

You'll hear/read everyone saying the "SWR tone" is Hi-Fi or Marcus Miller, but I find them pretty "flat" and easy to work with. The output is low by todays standards (220w into 4ohm/160 into 8 ohm) but modern cabs are often more efficient, so it will work pretty well. Mine sounds great and pretty loud with a Bag End 1x15.

They often go for around £200-250, so not expensive (there's one on the Gallery site currently?)

Happy hunting

[quote name='Spoombung' post='949091' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:20 AM']Yes I certainly will. Please let me know. Is that what you do then; fix amps?[/quote]

fair does chap i'll let you know how long it'll roughly be soon. Yeah i do alot of amp restoration at the minute, i'll be posting a few more threads soon of ones i've done up

Shame the Hartkes have fans (although its never been a problem for me, even practicing at home). They seem to be out of fashion but have fabulous, clear hi-fi sound, lots of flexibility, powerful, valve pre-amp and cheap. Swear by them, even if they aren't the most lavish item.

Other than that, the most fun would be had sticking around for the T&B to turn up, although you may be equally impressed with one as you were with your H/H (rose tinted earplugs?).

What's the big objection to fans. I don't like them either but in the end I don't really notice them until it gets switched off!

[quote name='DaveB' post='948988' date='Sep 7 2010, 11:30 PM']I purchased mine from Fretz in Hemel Hempstead. Speak to Barry he'll sort you out a good price. Most internet sites struggled to come near what I got mine for[/quote]
got to agree...Barry is a top fella..always ready with tips and advice at no charge and you don't get a bucket of bullshit every time you step through the door like some places...