Why become a member? ×

Bit tired of amps for sale

munkonthehill

Ok I am currently in the mood for a combo, however im sick and tired of folk posting amps for sale and using the max wattage that they can manage, even though to get this max wattage, an ext cab is req!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As we know combos either manage their full outputs on their own or some need an ext cab to drop its impedance for its maximum output.

Now technically its not false advertising as combos that do require an ext cab to maximise its output do actually go to whatever watts, however, would it be possible to actually give the combos output as it is?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or if thats not possible, to at least give us the heads up that an ext cab is required for this!!!!!!!!!!

I feel that folk use this grey area of information to try show that their amp is more powerful than it actually is and some people could be very easily misled into thinking they are getting more bang for their buck than they actually are!!!

Is it just me????

It's not just you, but to be fair I don't think it's most sellers, it's more the manufacturers - a lot of people will assume that if they've got a 200W combo that's the power that it puts out 'as is'!

I've been guilty of this before now, simply putting down a (solid state, valves change things a bit) amp as having a certain power output (going by the model name, generally)...but I'd like to think that most people realise that running an extra cab will make the amp LOUDER regardless!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='947842' date='Sep 7 2010, 12:49 AM']....Is it just me????....[/quote]
Yep.

If anyone wants to buy an amp or cab or any bass gear they should do their homework and find out all the technical details for themselves, including reading reviews and user experiences.

[quote name='Machines' post='947880' date='Sep 7 2010, 06:57 AM']Do most combos actually detail what the wattage is into the combo alone ? To be fair, a lot of manufacturers don't tell you what the wattage for a stand alone head into one cab so the fault isn't really with the seller.[/quote]

aye and that's fair enough, I have checked most sites and seen that it wouldn't break down the output on 8 ohmes, 4ohmes etc.....

What I'm mainly saying, is that a heads up on the requirement of an extention cab would help alot and possibly reduce my 'homework' time and leaving me more time to look through more suitable ads.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='947893' date='Sep 7 2010, 07:13 AM']aye and that's fair enough, I have checked most sites and seen that it wouldn't break down the output on 8 ohmes, 4ohmes etc.....

What I'm mainly saying, is that a heads up on the requirement of an extention cab would help alot and possibly reduce my 'homework' time and leaving me more time to look through more suitable ads.[/quote]

Mesa do - :)

But in fairness they only put heads that are available seperately in thier combos so, a but unusual.

I get where you're coming from, but I always do a little research into anything that I'm interested in. I knew before buying my combo that it ran at @ 300w on it's own or 500w if I add an 8 ohm cab.
I also knew that the speakers have 21mm of travel, I'm not sure if this would move any more air than a driver that moves 18mm but I do think it greatly reduce the chances of me popping it.

Most combos (not all tho, such as Vox & other cheapo ones) will require an ext cab to get the full wattage unless you decided to rewire or replace the drivers, but I don't see the point in this as running 500w @4 ohm into 2 10's is not gonna increase in volume compared to the 300w @ 8ohm into 2 10s & running an extra 2x10 (having a 4x10) would move more air (more air = more volume/noisiness).

I know most manufacturers tend to put the 8 ohm & 4 ohm wattage ratings on their websites for their amps, sometimes it's under tech specs.

You make a fair point but I think most people would agree that a degree of caution with any amp/guitar/pedal purchase be exercised and that means doing some background to be confident what you're getting suits your needs.

For instance if I'm buying a pedal I'll ask if it is battery or psu only, what voltage psu it will require etc - This may or may not be included in an advert but should be asked right?

You're correct it's not school but save yourself some time on wasted searching by contacting the seller and asking them the questions you have - let them do the leg work - if they are eager to sell they will get you the information you requested as best they can more often than not.

Trust me having spent an hour last week writing an email giving a really through description of a rig I was selling to have the guy blank me for two days and then opt out of the deal its equally frustrating from the sellers side too - especially as I had included in my ad links to all the manuals etc. I bear no grudge against the guy -it's his right to choose whatever gear he thinks will best suit his needs - but my time was wasted. There are already lots of reviews out there on the gear I was selling, many being far more eloquent than mine. I was only helping the guy out!

Bottom line is if I'm gonna drop some money on a product I'll be responsible for getting as much info as I can from as many varied sources as I can. We'd all be wise to be pro-active and then there is less room for disappointment.

Rant over :)

Edited by krispn

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='947917' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:15 AM']just incase none of you know me,,im not a novice at buying or selling gear, I have had many amps. I just think it may save my time in telling me if an ext. cab would be required for maximum output of an amp,,,,,,simple[/quote]
Hmm.. fair enough. It's never bothered me, though.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='947917' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:15 AM']I just think it may save my time in telling me if an ext. cab would be required for maximum output of an amp,,,,,,simple[/quote]
I think the safest option would be to treat a combo as if it was an amp capable of running at 4 ohms & comes with an 8 ohm cab as there are only a handful that put out full power without an ext cab.

You make a fair point - wonder if the for sale pages could have a useful guide for newbie and old hands alike stating what people would want in a for sale ad - similar to the way harmony central has a guide to reviews. A guide mean that ppl know what is being asked before they are asked right ? I know it could get right down into the minutiae but might be an idea. It's not something that could 'imposed' but a gentle reminder to 'posters' that there is a guide for advert might mean less to and fro?

I'm all about democratic process but it might be interesting to hear the views of others.

Might be an idea and areas such as listed below?

With a combo things like:

Tube/Solid State pre -

Combo Output -

Output with ext cab -

Speakers size and Ohm's -

D.I out -

D.I. Level -

Weight -

Additional features:

[quote name='krispn' post='947925' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:37 AM']You make a fair point - wonder if the for sale pages could have a useful guide for newbie and old hands alike stating what people would want in a for sale ad - similar to the way harmony central has a guide to reviews. A guide mean that ppl know what is being asked before they are asked right ? I know it could get right down into the minutiae but might be an idea. It's not something that could 'imposed' but a gentle reminder to 'posters' that there is a guide for advert might mean less to and fro?

I'm all about democratic process but it might be interesting to hear the views of others.

Might be an idea and areas such as listed below?

With a combo things like:

Tube/Solid State pre -

Combo Output -

Output with ext cab -

Speakers size and Ohm's -

D.I out -

D.I. Level -

Weight -

Additional features:[/quote]

yeah that kind of thing would be cool.

I'd think anyone who has brought and sold a bit of gear would know that combo's typically run at 8 ohms and to get full power out of an amp requires 4 so another cab would be needed.

I don't understand peope who buy on a whim and don't know the ins and outs of the the thing they are buying.
It is all there in the spec, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' post='947940' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:50 AM']I'd think anyone who has brought and sold a bit of gear would know that combo's typically run at 8 ohms and to get full power out of an amp requires 4 so another cab would be needed.

I don't understand peope who buy on a whim and don't know the ins and outs of the the thing they are buying.
It is all there in the spec, IMO.[/quote]

aye and thats all fine,,but AGAIN,,,wouldnt it be quicker for the buyer to see exactly what they are getting in their sale!!!!!

sorry,,,,,,IMO

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='947948' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:01 AM']aye and thats all fine,,but AGAIN,,,wouldnt it be quicker for the buyer to see exactly what they are getting in their sale!!!!!

sorry,,,,,,IMO[/quote]
But it's safer to do your own research, in case the seller is mistaken. IMO.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='947953' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:05 AM']But it's safer to do your own research, in case the seller is mistaken. IMO.[/quote]

+1

Plus, what would stop a seller from just making details up to get a sale, if you are just going to take their word as gospel?

Personally, I'd rather make a mistake purchase based on my own incorrect research than just buying on trust from someone I don't know/trust, who may have NO idea at all what they're talking about.

Edited by skej21