Why become a member? ×

"Sid" for sale - mojo'd, Simenon-alike 70RI Precision

Clarky

I bought back my punk bass "Sid" a few months back but, my soul-searching about getting the most out of my basses (especially my 72P) leads me to put this up FS. Two reasons: (1) I use Sid for most gigs and practices, and I need to stop being so precious and use my 72P way more; and (2) I am frankly a bit bored of white Precisions, especially when at virtually every punk gig I play nearly every band has a white P bass!

Sid itself is 70 reissue CIJ bass of mid-90s heritage with two mods - a Badass bridge and vintage cream DiMarzio pickup for Clash-alike appearance (and very thumpy, woody sound - not for fans of treble-y, hi-fi bass!). Its become very cream-coloured with time and its got a fair few dings which only add to its appeal IMHO. The board is a deep dark rosewood and plays very smoothly with Pyramid Gold flatwound strings. Its a B width neck, so in between a P and a J neck width-wise, and very comfy in the hand.

One pic below and a bunch more pics here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88024&hl"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88024&hl[/url]

[attachment=57803:clarky_basses_004.JPG]

I am all out of shipping boxes (and patience waiting in all day for Interparcel from the lovely Mrs C!) and it only has a thin gigbag, so would prefer meet in London. £330 sounds about right to me. This is a cracking bass but I need to get my 72P out and played.

Edited by Clarky

Is that the bass you bought to my place a couple of years back Clarky? If so, it is a stunner, lovely tone and plays like butter, just how a Precision should be. It's a hell of a lot of bass for the money for sure.

Good decision on playing the '72 more by the way.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='941031' date='Aug 31 2010, 02:59 PM']Is that the bass you bought to my place a couple of years back Clarky? If so, it is a stunner, lovely tone and plays like butter, just how a Precision should be. It's a hell of a lot of bass for the money for sure.

Good decision on playing the '72 more by the way.

C[/quote]
It is the very same bass, Chris. At last, a decision you approve of :)

Sorely tempted. Been looking to get one of these for a few years now. In fact I came close to buying this last time you put it up for sale but was looking to get one with the stock pickup. I'm dithering whether to get this or shell out the extra for a newer one or the US version that someone has listed here. :)

I just put up an ad for one of these a couple of days ago and now have £350 sitting in my Paypal account after selling my piccolo and a vintage sax mouthpiece this weekend. Just enough for the bass and a return to London.

Clarky, any chance you could post pictures of the rest of the bass, front and back? Are there alternatives for the pickup? Not so keen on the cream. :snob: :rolleyes:

[quote name='Quatschmacher' post='941059' date='Aug 31 2010, 03:45 PM']Sorely tempted. Been looking to get one of these for a few years now. In fact I came close to buying this last time you put it up for sale but was looking to get one with the stock pickup. I'm dithering whether to get this or shell out the extra for a newer one or the US version that someone has listed here. :)

I just put up an ad for one of these a couple of days ago and now have £350 sitting in my Paypal account after selling my piccolo and a vintage sax mouthpiece this weekend. Just enough for the bass and a return to London.

Clarky, any chance you could post pictures of the rest of the bass, front and back? Are there alternatives for the pickup? Not so keen on the cream. :snob: :rolleyes:[/quote]

I will try to get some more pics up tonight.

You would probably have to swap out the pickup if you didn't want cream as its a DiMarzio and I am not sure whether a cheapo ebay black plastic pickup cover would work (the pole pieces on a DiMarzio have screw-able endings, so they are not like standard black cylindrical magnet endings). You could pick up a P bass pickup on BC (eg Wizard, or Fender) for probably £30-40 and sell the DiMarzio for maybe £30.

Cheers Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='941006' date='Aug 31 2010, 02:38 PM']I am frankly a bit bored of white Precisions, especially when at virtually every punk gig I play nearly every band has a white P bass![/quote]
:) I'm not one normally to find joy in others misery but I just love the idea of playing a punk all dayer & everybody having the same bass.

I'd be tempted myself only I too am going through a major anti GAS stage

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='941122' date='Aug 31 2010, 05:11 PM']:) I'm not one normally to find joy in others misery but I just love the idea of playing a punk all dayer & everybody having the same bass.[/quote]
Its become something of a uniform these days, I suspect due to the white Squier that was launched a couple of years ago. One gig I did a few months ago, all four bands had white P basses. So much for individualism! Mind, I can't talk - I made Sid into a Clash tribute bass :rolleyes:

Edited by Clarky

Somewhere between Sid, Dee Dee Ramone & Paul Simonon it all makes sense...but it does rather go against the punk ethos if everybody is the same. I guess someone truly wanting to be punk these days would play a Hohner Jack bass! :) Now there's a thought

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='941145' date='Aug 31 2010, 05:34 PM']Somewhere between Sid, Dee Dee Ramone & Paul Simonon it all makes sense...but it does rather go against the punk ethos if everybody is the same. I guess someone truly wanting to be punk these days would play a Hohner Jack bass! :) Now there's a thought[/quote]
or an Alembic (like I did at Gosport Punkfest 10 days ago!) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22&st=1440&p=932345&#entry932345"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry932345[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='941147' date='Aug 31 2010, 05:36 PM']or an Alembic (like I did at Gosport Punkfest 10 days ago!) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22&st=1440&p=932345&#entry932345"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry932345[/url][/quote]
Inded, & I made a similar observation then too :)