Why become a member? ×

Basses you want to love, but can't

skej21

Anything from Ernie Ball :ph34r: Played a good few and the Bongo 6 was the easiest to get around on. As much as I try I cant get along with those horrible necks. Anyone know if they have a model with the same specs as a 60's Jazz? (Radius 7.25, Width 1.50)

Rickenbackers. Had one years ago, looked lovely, sounded great but the neck profile and the body's edge just got the better of me; it had to go.
P-basses. Had a 1977 capri orange one (bought for £270) ; looked fab but had a neck like a tree trunk.
And my own Thumb bass (which I still have and cannot part with). Due to the headstock being made out of lead, magnets, small stones and churches, I now have got a damaged shoulder.
Have two Streamers now and all is good.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='940386' date='Aug 30 2010, 09:16 PM']Im gonna go with any Fender too. Tried vintage ones, new ones, 4 string, five string all different permutations and I would love to like them. But they're rubbish. Sorry.

Truckstop[/quote]
With you on that completely, and Rickies. I love the way they look, but they are crap compared to my Warwicks. I think people are prepared to put up with the poor design and build quality just to have "that sound". They clearly don't realise they can get a playable bass and put it through a POD and still get "that sound".

Ricks - I'm not at all keen on the neck.

Singlecuts generally - I've only seen a couple that I like.

I would say Fenders, but I don't actually want to love them. I'm just happy to live my life along a parallel course to them.

My God! Thinking this through, I have just realised that I haven't gigged anything but my Wal and a Status Energy 6 for over 20 years and the Staus only went out half a dozen times! I played a Roscoe 5 when I tried out a Markbass rig at the Bass Merchant about a year ago but that was only for 15 minutes (no great shakes) and I have tried a couple of Warwicks but that was over 10 years ago. I tried an Alembic Epic at the Bass Centre in Birmingham around 1991 and a Yamaha TRB6 a couple of years before that in the Bass Centre in Wapping. Early on there was an Ibanez Musician bass I tried and a mate had a Fender Jazz custom job but I didn't like that very much.

Maybe I need to get out more (actually, I don't try basses unless I am buying and I am never buying so why try them out :)). So, in answer to the OP, I don't dislike anything really; I just like what I have and have no need to look elsewhere.

P-basses... I don't know why I don't like them, they just don't push any buttons. They're versatile as hell, which is why I want to love them. At the end of the day, I'm just drawn to something that sounds unique and amazing to my ears (ie most jazzes and some warwicks).

I would tap this, though. If anyone wants to buy it for me, go ahead...

pretty please :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='941005' date='Aug 31 2010, 02:38 PM']My God! Thinking this through, I have just realised that I haven't gigged anything but my Wal and a Status Energy 6 for over 20 years and the Staus only went out half a dozen times! I played a Roscoe 5 when I tried out a Markbass rig at the Bass Merchant about a year ago but that was only for 15 minutes (no great shakes) and I have tried a couple of Warwicks but that was over 10 years ago. I tried an Alembic Epic at the Bass Centre in Birmingham around 1991 and a Yamaha TRB6 a couple of years before that in the Bass Centre in Wapping. Early on there was an Ibanez Musician bass I tried and a mate had a Fender Jazz custom job but I didn't like that very much.

Maybe I need to get out more (actually, I don't try basses unless I am buying and I am never buying so why try them out :)). So, in answer to the OP, I don't dislike anything really; I just like what I have and have no need to look elsewhere.[/quote]

I'm in that boat, until I hear a Warwick and have a bit of spare cash. Then I get G.A.S, go and try one with the intention of buyng it and then realise I just hate the feel of them. I'll just stick to what I have I think!

Warwick thumb bass. I wanted to like it, but nothing about it said 'this is the bass for me'. Didn't really like the neck or the general sound.

Tried a Wal Mach I (I think) and really wanted to love it enough to justify buying it. It felt really well made, but the neck was just a bit chunkier than I would like on a £1800 second-hand bass.

Spector basses, sound great and look great, but they don't look great on me!

Every time I see a Stingray I just think 'well I would kinda like one, but what could I do on that that I couldn't do with a P-bass?' I don't really feel the sense that I need one, despite them being great instruments.

Oh a five string basses regardless of the make. I love the idea of always being able to get a low B whenever, but I just don't want to lose out on the playability of a four string bass. I can't justify buying one right now, though I will probably get one at some point.

To be honest though, there are more amp companies that I want to love but can't than basses. Ashdown, Orange, and Ampeg amps and 8x10 cabs in general.

[quote name='Clarky' post='940409' date='Aug 30 2010, 09:34 PM']Thunderbird - wanted to love it and had wanted one for years - found skinny long neck and raised central body section made it really hard to play

SG bass - looks so cool but clunky neck and short scale made it play like sh*t[/quote]

+1; can't be bothered my arse with holding a bass 'in place' all the time, hence the neck dive on T-Birds gets on my tits something rotten. And I find Grabbers to be too heavy also...don't know what it is about Gibson basses, they just don't work for me.

Everything EXCEPT a Warwick! :rolleyes:

No in all honesty I dislike big, flat, clumpy basses and unfortunately the Fender Jazz fits into that category. I absolutely love the look of them and the tone on a good one is excellent but as soon as I try to live with one I keep comparing it to the diminutive body of either the Zon Sonus or the ergonomically curved, concave/convex Streamer NT... heck even my Bolin feels small in comparison to a Jazz, Gibson T'bird/Ripper, Ric etc. I will add the caveat that it doesn't stop me coming back to try them every once in a while.

I haven't mentioned the tone of a bass because I can manage to mangle any of them to sound the same anyway. :)

I'm indifferent to lots of stuff, especially the standards and the derivatives.

Love it? Very few. It's got to be a Thunderbird. The finish and colour, especially the dark red one (see OTPJ review) says "Yea, pick me up & play me" Give it some welly! Let's Rock. But the balance and the ergonomics are awful. Shame.

Balcro.