Why become a member? ×

The East Anglia Bass Bash

Dood

If we're thinking of going outside of the immediate environs of Cambridge, then maybe Foxton village hall would be suitable - two function rooms. It's also about half-a-mile from the mainline rail station to Cambridge and Kings X.

Just a thought (and I've used it before for band practice - could get 20 people or so in there plus gear) - costs I can find out about

HTH, Ian

Edited by Bottle

Hi all,

Sorry I've not caught this thread (and others) sooner, but in the last few months I've (and the rest of my band) have become the proud owners of some rehearsal studios........ Thats the good news. :)

The bad news for most of you, is they are on CANVEY ISLAND !!! :lol:

These are excellent, comfortable clean rooms and we are adding / up-grading them as funds permit.

I would be prepaired to give FREE & Exculesive use of the building (The two main rooms) and
two smaller 'Practice' rooms (mind your heads tho !!)

Amble free parking and very easy access. No volume limits (within reason!)

Providing someone is prepaired to organise etc, We will take care of the catering side
depending on what bass chaters would want..... Tea's, Coffees, Cans, Cakes etc.
We would need to cover the costs of that tho

So if this venue is of interest for a Bass Day, please let me know

This is a popular studio and is used by some 'very famous' people !!!

Les

www.islandstudio.co.uk

[attachment=62734:Island_Studios_003.jpg][attachment=62733:IMG_0188.jpg][attachment=62736:IMG_0179.j
pg][attachment=62742:Island_Studios_001.jpg]

[quote name='Dusty' post='1007828' date='Oct 31 2010, 08:44 PM']The bad news for most of you, is they are on CANVEY ISLAND !!! :)[/quote]

Ha ha, King Kong walks on water, watch out Canvey Island :-) Immense result , well done and I wish you success with this venture.

Definitely yes from me, if you can persuade the great Wilko to turn up for a guest appearance that would be better still!

[quote name='charic' post='1007228' date='Oct 31 2010, 12:17 PM']Right! I just widened my search a little (St Ives about 30mins down the road from Cambridge). Slepe Hall seems pretty damn good imo.

Would people be willing to travel this far? Were talking £250 for the Hall all day, optional food (finger snacks but we can organise for more) aswell as a bar in the hall!

Can anyone interested in getting involved in the organisation get in touch with me via pm so we dont crowd this thread?

25 people at £10 each covers this and rest could go to charity[/quote]

Hi there

Re the Cambridge bash, has anything further happened on this one yet ?

cheers

Tom

[quote name='Dusty' post='1007828' date='Oct 31 2010, 08:44 PM']Hi all,

Sorry I've not caught this thread (and others) sooner, but in the last few months I've (and the rest of my band) have become the proud owners of some rehearsal studios........ Thats the good news. :)

The bad news for most of you, is they are on CANVEY ISLAND !!! :)

These are excellent, comfortable clean rooms and we are adding / up-grading them as funds permit.

I would be prepaired to give FREE & Exculesive use of the building (The two main rooms) and
two smaller 'Practice' rooms (mind your heads tho !!)

Amble free parking and very easy access. No volume limits (within reason!)

Providing someone is prepaired to organise etc, We will take care of the catering side
depending on what bass chaters would want..... Tea's, Coffees, Cans, Cakes etc.
We would need to cover the costs of that tho

So if this venue is of interest for a Bass Day, please let me know

This is a popular studio and is used by some 'very famous' people !!!

Les

www.islandstudio.co.uk

[attachment=62734:Island_Studios_003.jpg][attachment=62733:IMG_0188.jpg][attachment=62736:IMG_0179.j
pg][attachment=62742:Island_Studios_001.jpg][/quote]

I'm just down the road from there!! Pity I can't play yet :lol:

[quote name='SaxxyBass' post='1012657' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:10 PM']I'm just down the road from there!! Pity I can't play yet :)[/quote]

Well you can always use one of our practise rooms and blow your horn as loud as you like and I'm sure 'Big John' our resident guitar teacher would give you some help on the bass :lol:

Les :)

[quote name='charic' post='1018677' date='Nov 10 2010, 12:39 PM']I will update later. Have a possible date and venue lined up after visiting yesterday.

I have photos and a floorplan of the venue too :)

I would have posted this earlier but Dood hid this thread in plain sight![/quote]

Good work sir!!

Speaking of hiding things, I couldn't find my car keys earlier - until I realised that I'd hung them on the floor.

Ok fellow BC'ers

Below are a few snaps of slepe hall which is approx:

70' x 40'
(21m x 9m)

about 50 parking spaces too and parking in the street

It can be split with a heavy curtain at 3 or 4 points across the hall although they only have one curtain to use. There is also a bar down one end of the hall, a seperate entrance aswell (and a kitchen if we want it)

If we book the room for 16/1/2010 or before then we can get the hall for £200 (all day & night too). The only problem is money is upfront so we may need to find a way around this.

I'm also trying to consider solutions to the 'wall of noise' scenario. To this end im thinking of splitting the hall fairly evenly down the middle. With maybe 5/6 rigs set up at a time. What do people think about this? Also trying to think of seminars which could be held, feel free to pm ideas if you dont want to post on here.

I'm thinking of holding an ultimate blind A/B test as one seminar for example. People comment on a sound coming from a particular bass coming through rig 1/2/3 in a certain catagory. Then same thing for particular rig and bass a/b/c in that catagory. If people have anymore input on these or particular rigs they would like to hear in each catagory then it would be appreciated.

Without further ado I give you Slepe Hall :)
[attachment=63638:IMAG0072.jpg][attachment=63639:IMAG0073.jpg][attachment=63640:IMAG0074.jpg]

[quote name='charic' post='1019241' date='Nov 10 2010, 07:34 PM']Ok fellow BC'ers

Below are a few snaps of slepe hall which is approx:

70' x 40'
(21m x 9m)

about 50 parking spaces too and parking in the street

It can be split with a heavy curtain at 3 or 4 points across the hall although they only have one curtain to use. There is also a bar down one end of the hall, a seperate entrance aswell (and a kitchen if we want it)

If we book the room for 16/1/2010 or before then we can get the hall for £200 (all day & night too). The only problem is money is upfront so we may need to find a way around this.

I'm also trying to consider solutions to the 'wall of noise' scenario. To this end im thinking of splitting the hall fairly evenly down the middle. With maybe 5/6 rigs set up at a time. What do people think about this? Also trying to think of seminars which could be held, feel free to pm ideas if you dont want to post on here.

I'm thinking of holding an ultimate blind A/B test as one seminar for example. People comment on a sound coming from a particular bass coming through rig 1/2/3 in a certain catagory. Then same thing for particular rig and bass a/b/c in that catagory. If people have anymore input on these or particular rigs they would like to hear in each catagory then it would be appreciated.

Without further ado I give you Slepe Hall :)
[attachment=63638:IMAG0072.jpg][attachment=63639:IMAG0073.jpg][attachment=63640:IMAG0074.jpg][/quote]

did you mean 16/1/2011?

Edited by jonunders

[quote name='Dusty' post='1007828' date='Oct 31 2010, 08:44 PM']This is a popular studio and is used by some 'very famous' people !!!

Les

www.islandstudio.co.uk[/quote]

You must mean me? :) I am there rehearsing each Thursday with Xerocks.

See you next week.

[quote name='jonunders' post='1021191' date='Nov 12 2010, 11:33 AM']i don't want to seem a nerd but what is a bass bash? what happens there and is it good for inexperienced bassists.
do you limit the numbers to a first come basis?[/quote]

A BassChat BassBash is a bit like BassDay, but waaaaay better! :) The first Bass Bashs were just a kinda organised get together 'free for all' at a venue kinda central for anyone to come along to. We didn't have a limit to numbers and generally people came and went throughout the day anyway. A fee on the door covered costs and any money left over has been donated to charity or a worthy cause, which I think is brilliant!

The latter bashs have been better oganisied and have featured master classes and demos - but my favourite part of these gathering is to be able to check out all your amazing bass gear, Basschat! - Oh and not to mention being able to talk ALL DAY about Bass without fear of anyone in the room glazing over! ha ha!

Is it good for inexperienced bassists? Hell yeah, it's practically the law for beginners! I can't think of anywhere better to get advice and learn about bass gear.

I've no idea if the venue above has a particular capacity limit - but it looks plenty big enough to me!!! Good work Charic.

If it's just £200 quid all day, I'd be more than happy to pay up front - tenner a head?