Why become a member? ×

G&L Basses (USA)

Musicman20

I grew up seeing these basses, yet I barely see any here in the UK.

What do these basses sound like? Comfort/feel/quality/etc.

I realise they are not Rays, so the buckers sound different.

I like the look of the Jazz type basses they do, and the double bucker basses, (ASAT shape is great!).

Just found one of my favourite colours as well, sonic blue Jazz

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/JB/enlarge.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/b.../JB/enlarge.asp[/url]

What can you tell me about them?

Im just curious at the moment, and still considering what I can get for my 30th which is 6 months away still.

Ive decided not to go custom and just get something different and more exciting. I darent try buy a vintage Fender as im too picky.

Cheers

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='939610' date='Aug 29 2010, 09:20 PM']these jazz style ones look awesome!!

Why isnt there a proper UK dealer for the US made G&L's??

It would be great to try some of these models out and i'd more than likely buy one!!

:)[/quote]

I know the Bass Merchant have them on their site (not the USA models) but I assume you can get a quote and order one.

They do look fantastic....if they are reasonable prices im very interested as you can customise them a little with different options.

I'm sure the neck profile on the JB is their standard J shape (Asat/SB2/JB2) with one less fret. I have the same 21 fret J neck as an option on my L-2000 and it's a great neck shape imo,really comfy. If I were ordering one I'd go for their gun oil tint necks over the satin finish (for the same look as the MM classics)The necks are PLEK'd now as well. All the hardware is top drawer and the sustain is incredible. Both mine ring on for ages. Also their finishes are superior to Fender MIA Stds and ebmm imo - the G&L's I've owned and played all had a finish like glass (seen a fair number of both new and well looked after s/h ebmms and Fenders with sinkage in the clear top coat which always really bugs me just because the G&Ls are so perfect in this respect)
G&L's MFD pickups aren't for everyone (quite dark/aggressive) but the JB and JB-2 have alnico single coils so totally different sound I'd imagine. There's a lot of love for these basses on talkbass,maybe worth a rummage around?
I like G&L - I've got two USA basses and three USA guitars (Legacy/Invader XL/Asat Special) at the moment so I'm biased but I feel the same about Musicman too. I'm always torn between the two brands when buying my next bass or guitar.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='939614' date='Aug 29 2010, 09:30 PM'][url="http://www.gotoguitars.com/"]gotoguitars[/url]

As for G&L? Leo said it himself "G&L Guitars are the finest instruments I ever built". Nuff said. :)[/quote]

Not intending to cast any doubts on his integrity, or on the quality of G&L guitars, and I've no experiance to iether agree or disagree with him but, from a purely commercial view point, what else would he say? "These G&Ls are OK, but not as good as Fender or Musicman"? - I suspect not.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='939657' date='Aug 29 2010, 10:35 PM']Not intending to cast any doubts on his integrity, or on the quality of G&L guitars, and I've no experiance to iether agree or disagree with him but, from a purely commercial view point, what else would he say? "These G&Ls are OK, but not as good as Fender or Musicman"? - I suspect not.[/quote]
Fair enough.
I own a USA G&L and a EBMM. Both kick Fender® butt. How about that? :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='939664' date='Aug 29 2010, 10:42 PM']Fair enough.
I own a USA G&L and a EBMM. Both kick Fender® butt. How about that? :)[/quote]

I'm not disagreeing with you. As I say I haven't owned an MM or G&L so I can't comment on the relaitive strengths and weaknesses. Just saying that he, or anyone else in a similar situation, would hardly say anything other than 'this is the best'.

[quote name='Lorne' post='939737' date='Aug 30 2010, 01:58 AM']I had an ASAT in the early 90's,damn thing nearly gave me a hernia,,,heavy as a really heavy thing,sure it was made of concrete,very powerful pick ups and a pretty fast neck,but did I mention it was heavy? :)[/quote]

I went to the Matamp factory last year and there was a guitar body on one of the benches. I picked it up and nearly put my back out, turns out it was made of solid granite! A guitarist who makes kitchen worktops thought it would be a good idea as it resonates similarly to aluminium but playing it would make you about 3" shorter after every gig. Don't know it he ever finished it or not.

ASAT looks fantastic!

Had a rough quote from the UK dealer.....wow, expensive for a posh-passive Jazz. I bet they are incredibly well made, but its a lot to stump up for an instrument Ive never even seen.

We are talking over £2100 retail (ok the stores would be quite a bit below this I realise!).

Don't rule out the Tributes. Made in the Far East with US pickups and electrics. Great sound and build quality. Think Lakland Skyline. List is about £600 these days but you can [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-G-L-L2000-TRIBUTE-BASS-GUITAR-LEO-FENDER-DESIGN-/220660475236?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336063a564"]pick one up online for about £450[/url].

And they don't weigh a ton. :)

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='943080' date='Sep 2 2010, 10:15 AM']Don't rule out the Tributes. Made in the Far East with US pickups and electrics. Great sound and build quality. Think Lakland Skyline. List is about £600 these days but you can [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-G-L-L2000-TRIBUTE-BASS-GUITAR-LEO-FENDER-DESIGN-/220660475236?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336063a564"]pick one up online for about £450[/url].

And they don't weigh a ton. :)[/quote]

Thanks. These are the basses made in the same factory as Cort and Lakland aren't they?

Weird how Cort and G&L make them at such low prices, then Lakland charge as much as Fender!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='943072' date='Sep 2 2010, 10:07 AM']ASAT looks fantastic!

Had a rough quote from the UK dealer.....wow, expensive for a posh-passive Jazz. I bet they are incredibly well made, but its a lot to stump up for an instrument Ive never even seen.

We are talking over £2100 retail (ok the stores would be quite a bit below this I realise!).[/quote]

Wow,they haven't gone up that much in 20 years,I remember mine was quite a bit over £1k

you can pick up original Asats a lot cheaper than that, if you look on TalkBass or ebay in States.
also they can be active or passive and they have a lot more sound options than a Jazz.
they really are high quality instruments too, built like a panzer and unbelievably punchy pups.

also while the Tributes are very good indeed, in fact better than most cheaper versions, they do not play as well as an original IME. the sounds is hard to distinguish, but there is a difference, mostly in punchiness of Tribute pups being less than USA G&Ls

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Musicman20' post='943072' date='Sep 2 2010, 11:07 AM']We are talking over £2100 retail (ok the stores would be quite a bit below this I realise!).[/quote]

Import it yourself from the US. A lot cheaper (even including postage & VAT). You can even have it "custom built". Check the prices and options here:

[url="http://www.guitarasylum.com/product_pages/gandl/g&l-jb.html"]G&L JB[/url]

[quote name='P-punk' post='943834' date='Sep 2 2010, 07:40 PM']Import it yourself from the US. A lot cheaper (even including postage & VAT). You can even have it "custom built". Check the prices and options here:

[url="http://www.guitarasylum.com/product_pages/gandl/g&l-jb.html"]G&L JB[/url][/quote]

Ah, man, I've got one of these and this is giving me GAS. Flake finish semi-hollow!