Why become a member? ×

who, what, why?

earlyman

Hello all you lovely bass citizens.

For the purposes of further broadening my own horizons......I thought I'd begin with a quick survey of what you lovely lot are listening to, transcribing, who are you discovering, who's making you wince with musicality? (that is having a direct impact on you as a player..)

Doesn't have to be a bass player, or even an instrumentalist, could be a singer, any genre at all...

Looking forward to being broadened.

It's all about the breadth.....apparently.

oh, ok, here are my current three.

Chris Wood (Medeski, Martin &....)
Steve Swallow (John Scofield / Carla Bley etc.)
Robin Eubanks (Dave Holland trombonist)

Good choices, earlyman!

Eubanks is so central to the success of Holland's ensembles. Have you listened to any Steve Turre? He's another great trombonist in that area.

Steve Swallow is the god of electric bass in jazz - none of that athletic technique we all see so much of in fusion jazz, just hard core musicality. Swings like a donkey. And all with a pick.

Chris Wood I know less of but I love his raw energy and swing.

Me? I am revisiting a lot of old Reginald Veal stuff as I continue my new travels with the double bass. Edgar Meyer's Bach Cello Suites cd is another regular visitor lately and some Christian McBride (on Jeff Watts 'Watts' cd). Scott Colley, John Patitucci, Marc Johnson; there are a lot of great players to listen to :)

[quote name='risingson' post='937338' date='Aug 26 2010, 05:13 PM']Currently listening to stuff from the Warp label, particularly the Boards of Canada. Django Reinhardt and Chet Baker still get a lot of playing, as have The Beatles of late. Don't really listen to much for bass players much anymore, like listening for the music first![/quote]

I love the way Chet Baker's trumpet playing and vocals are just so similar - phrasing and tone. His version of My Funny Valentine is sublime.

listening to Dan Fogelberg

transcribing John Prine's Common Sense LP

who are you discovering? old 70s country rock vinyl like Pure Prairie League

who's making you wince with musicality? The last thing that did that was watching back a video of myself when I'd be drinking. Lesson learn't (again!)

[quote name='mike f' post='937377' date='Aug 26 2010, 06:03 PM']Ah, good Cud; Rich and Strange. Great song, saw them in Leeds a long time ago.[/quote]

Someone drove past me this afternoon listening to 'Slack Time', it was weird! So I put some on myself when I got home.

[url="http://www.we7.com/#/song/Cud/Purple-Love-Balloon-Original-Version"]Shake your floppy fringe if you've still got one[/url]. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='937392' date='Aug 26 2010, 06:23 PM']Someone drove past me this afternoon listening to 'Slack Time', it was weird! So I put some on myself when I got home.

[url="http://www.we7.com/#/song/Cud/Purple-Love-Balloon-Original-Version"]Shake your floppy fringe if you've still got one[/url]. :)[/quote]Cud, happy days. :rolleyes:

Wayne Shorter with Herbie Hancock on the [i]Adam's Apple[/i] LP and Shorter on [i]Speak no Evil[/i]. Solomon Burke's [i]Nothing's Impossible[/i]--soul from a church pew. Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny on [i]Bright Size Life.[/i] Springsteen's "Incident on 57th Street."

Edited by tedgilley

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='937385' date='Aug 26 2010, 06:16 PM']I love the way Chet Baker's trumpet playing and vocals are just so similar - phrasing and tone. His version of My Funny Valentine is sublime.[/quote]

Yeh, the subtlety of his vocal is always echoed when he starts playing trumpet. I absolutely love how breezy and west coast it sounds.

[quote]For pleasure:
Midnight Juggernauts, Joanna Newsome, The Knife, Devo, Oh No Ono, Lights, Tunng, Johnny Foreigner, When A Train Hits A Truck.[/quote]

Nice, seen the Midnight Juggernauts plenty before and The Knife are so so good.

A bit of everything..

some RnB/nu-soul stuff from Common, some of John Mayer new album, some jazz - Dave Brubeck "Time Out" (is it Paul Desmond on sax? I'm loving the man.. His collaboration with G Mulligan is even better - loving 'Two of A mind"..

Oh, and it just started playing - Peterson/ Ray Brown - Night Train..

Edited by Faithless

Recently I've been getting very heavily into Post-Rock, think Sigur Ros, Maybeshewill, Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed! You Black Emperor etc. Not particularly for the Bass playing, it has always been a genre which I've been interested in and it's great fun to play live too.

Also, been harbouring a love for Drum & Bass, Dubstep and general Electronica, which isn't exactly helping my effects addiction. As much as I love the music, seeing it live and going to the nights, I enjoy playing along at home and figuring out how the weird sounds are created on my home just as much. SO, lots of respect for John Davies & Nerve.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='938007' date='Aug 27 2010, 12:23 PM']Currently listening to The Stranglers

JJs bass-playing is just awesome.[/quote]

Currently listening to JJ Burnel's solo album Euroman Cometh.Prior to that,Killing Joke's Wardance (7" version) and Chrome's Chronicles of the Sacrifices part 1 as I am to be covering both soon,so I am told.