Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jazz bass, yes its one of them silly...

LukeFRC

As some of you may have seen I was going to go to uni and do a masters, well they eventually got back to me saying I didn't get in. So I'm moving to glasgow and found a new job and having saved up a wodge of cash for this masters I'm in half a mind to spend some of it on a new bass, possibly selling my awesome streamer to fund it partly.

Basically I have a brilliant P bass. I love the passive tone, the way it sits in the mix and the thudy-ness
But I also love the tone with the bridge pick up on the warwick, that thinner and sharper sound that cuts through a bit better.

So I have been looking at Jazz basses. Basically it has to have 4 strings, probably be passive and sound good. Ideally it would be bright red, but im flexable on that!

The bass got me thinking was outtoplayjazz's 60 anniversary Jazz (the red one) it looked amazing and if i had known then I wouldnt get in i would have probably pulled the trigger. Otherwise it doesnt have to be new and i dont mind a bit of the signs of use.

I love the look of the stack knob jazz (but no idea how they sound in comparison to a 3 knob) and was looking at the Fender AV '62 RI, Bass direct has a second hand Lakland US joe osborn which also caught they eye.

The 75 RI looked nice too, but again there was a real '75 for sale on here up till today which looked brill too.

But then part of me thinks I'll looking at the top end of the market (for me!) and a jap Fender would be more than good enough and half the price.

What does the basschat forum of knowledge suggest?

(and yes I *know* i should just get out and play lots! at that mythical place in scotland where there are lots of basses to try out! :) )

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='935573' date='Aug 25 2010, 01:26 AM']i meant on jazz basses but that is useful stuff seeing as I will be working around the corner! thanks! :)[/quote]

Ah, me too! Well, I'm going back to the University, actually.

Hi man sucks about the Uni thing. I'm at this very minute minute finishing my masters dissertation and I can tell you that you are not missing much!

CC music have 3 or 4 late 1960s to late 1970s jazz basses in. Though when you go in I would seriously advise you to try the Sandbergs as well. [url="http://www.ccmusicshop.com"]http://www.ccmusicshop.com[/url]

I was in your position a while back looking for a jazz bass, I ended up going for a Sadowsky metro, though the Sandberg was pretty close. Some folk don't like Sadowsky though, saying they are 'sterile', so best to give them a good playing to see if you like them. Though if you find a genuine vintage Fender you like its hard to go away from that. Personally I thought the Sandbergs in CC music were way better value for money than the vintage Fenders.

[url="http://www.strungoutguitars.com/"]http://www.strungoutguitars.com/[/url] They sometimes have nothing whatsoever but you might find something really special if you are lucky. They often get a vintage jazz in but they tend to go quickly!

I think guitar guitar recently got a whole load of Sadowskys, as well as some of the new Fender deluxe models and the Lakland models.

Good luck and have a good time in Glasgow!

[quote name='thodrik' post='935587' date='Aug 25 2010, 02:59 AM'][url="http://www.strungoutguitars.com/"]http://www.strungoutguitars.com/[/url] They sometimes have nothing whatsoever but you might find something really special if you are lucky. They often get a vintage jazz in but they tend to go quickly![/quote]

There was a sunburst '70s Jazz in the window when I was past at lunchtime on Monday.

When I was studying there was no chance of me affording a new bass! I actually think the new standard MIM & USA Jazzes are both stunning. I never liked the MIM standards but since the price hike they have all raised their game. Also the 60s RI & the 70s RI are good fun

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='934701' date='Aug 24 2010, 01:07 PM']Basically I have a brilliant P bass. I love the passive tone, the way it sits in the mix and the thudy-ness
But I also love the tone with the bridge pick up on the warwick, that thinner and sharper sound that cuts through a bit better.[/quote]
Here's a great solution. Take a look at this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=100079"]Warwick Corvette FS/FT[/url]

You already like the sound of Warwicks and this goes passive if you pull the volume knob (ooo-err)

Build quality is arguably better than a Fender (dons flame-proof overcoat)

Obviously I have no interest whatsoever in the sale :)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='935630' date='Aug 25 2010, 08:47 AM']The mij/cij 75ri's really are amazing basses and they do a lush candy apple red :)[/quote]
yeah I've been looking at them, guitar emporium has stopped trading though, whats the best way to get one anyone know?
I had a cij '57 ri P bass, awesome neck

[quote name='Bassassin' post='935745' date='Aug 25 2010, 10:55 AM']I'd say decide what you want from a Jazz, then buy the bits & put one together yourself.

Jon.[/quote]
though of that.. and it would be the best...
reason I wouldn't though is that any resale value would be minimal compared to buying secondhand (dependent on what buy)

[quote name='benthos' post='935777' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:21 AM']Here's a great solution. Take a look at this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=100079"]Warwick Corvette FS/FT[/url]

You already like the sound of Warwicks and this goes passive if you pull the volume knob (ooo-err)

Build quality is arguably better than a Fender (dons flame-proof overcoat)

Obviously I have no interest whatsoever in the sale :rolleyes:[/quote]
oooh i see what you did there! Never liked the look of corvettes though!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='936665' date='Aug 26 2010, 01:17 AM']Lately I've seen some Japanese RI Jazz basses on eBay in a variety of colours with matching headstocks and blocked fingerboards, they look amazing. If I was shopping for a Jazz right now I wouldn't be able to resist them.[/quote]

yeah they look good.... one question, is the pup in the 70's possition as it seems to stick out the top of the cover?

• 3 weeks later...

so, just in case anyone was wondering I sorted out my wants with a lovely candy apple red valenti jazz that theidontcarebear was selling. Yes yes yes, it's everything I was looking for in terms of tone and feel and everything, not passive but really impressed with the preamp.
Sits in the mix just right and sounds good!

So I'm happy, just need to get nice (thicker) strings on it.

Probably going to end up selling the warwick, though to be honest I may be better keeping it under the bed for a few years then selling it!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='936853' date='Aug 26 2010, 10:14 AM']yeah they look good.... one question, is the pup in the 70's possition as it seems to stick out the top of the cover?[/quote]

No it's not. I have seen one single MIJ 75RI with the 70s pup position, and all the rest I've seen in real life or online have been conventional placement. I must say I was seriously impressed with the tone of my MIM Classic 70s j-bass (which does have 70s placement) - before I took it apart to refinish it! Hopefully I'll get it finished in the next few weeks and it'll look as good as it sounds (crosses fingers and prays to the god of paint runs to be merciful).

Yeah, found that! I like the way the preamp seems to be add only, it means that set flat it is pretty much the same as disengaged. It's a set up that encourages subtlety. I like it!
May put the old knobs on, I'm not sure if I like the sadowsky type look or the fender type look.