Why become a member? ×

I like the look of that! Enfield Basses

Grand Wazoo

I've played various demo models and several occasions now. The pickup is fantastic. It's designed to give you 2 P/J/MM configurations in any combination and is extremely versatile.

The only thing to watch is the neck profile is very V-shaped. Not so bad on the 5-string but I personally couldn't have a 4-string with that profile it's too uncomfortable for me.

Played one of these at a show and had a good long chat with Martin about them. Very impressive sounds (two Ray, P or J p/ups and mix and match) I didn't like the deep v profile necks but I'm sure you can specify what you want at that price.

[quote name='ezbass' post='933773' date='Aug 23 2010, 03:32 PM']I didn't like the deep v profile necks but I'm sure you can specify what you want at that price.[/quote]
Last time I talked to Martin Sims about these I got the impression that changing the neck profile would not be a standard option. That is to say it would be possible but you would have to pay extra for what he would consider to be a custom neck. However this policy might have changed since then.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='933859' date='Aug 23 2010, 04:42 PM']Last time I talked to Martin Sims about these I got the impression that changing the neck profile would not be a standard option. That is to say it would be possible but you would have to pay extra for what he would consider to be a custom neck. However this policy might have changed since then.[/quote]
I got this impression too. When I talked to him about the bass, he went to quite some length to highlight some of the engineering that was incorporated into the bass, and I recall him saying that the neck profile was to ensure a straight line all the way from the headstock down through to the bridge...or something like that. The point I think was to make the neck exceptionally stable.

Either way, they are an absolute beast of a bass, no doubt about it. I really like the concept of the bass - don't drive your underlying tone from an EQ, but instead take a more 'natural' route of changing your PuP configuration and then shape with the EQ.

For the price, it seems you get what you pay for - a well engineered, high spec custom built bass - and one fugly pickup!

[quote name='M-Bass-M' post='933938' date='Aug 23 2010, 05:33 PM']....... and one fugly pickup![/quote]

It'd be good for people who fit ramps to their basses though!

There were a few at the London International Music show a couple of years ago. I didn't play any but they looked very well built and finished.

Edited by Fat Rich