Why become a member? ×

GIG REVIEW: Pete Academy & Nearly Dan @ Jazz Café last night

xilddx

Pete's band Nearly Dan played the Jazz Café in Camden (for you folks in Norfolk, Camden is in London :lol:) and the place was pretty rammed. About 250 pre-booked tickets apparently.

Anyway, mrs silddx and I met Pete and the band in a nearby pub for a drinkie or two. I've not met Pete before but we gave each other a great big hug, and I now have bruised ribs. He's a splendid fellow as are the rest of the band, we all had a great chat and a laugh before we repaired to the JC for the gig.

These guys are obviously very popular, the crowd loved this gig and it seemed like quite a few of them always see the band when they play at the JC which is twice every year apparently - and we will definitely be going again. They did a great selection of Steely Dan numbers over the next two or so hours. The musicianship was excellent, truly thrilling in many places. The brass section were great, I heard the best sax solo I've ever seen from a live band last night, the guy was like Hendrix on the sax, incredible tone and delivery. The guitar playing was gorgeous, the three and four part vocal harmonies lush, and what a rhythm section! The drummer did a fantastic job of navigating all those drum parts by LA's top session players, and he did it with great style and panache. Aside from the "frontman"'s guitar and vocal (he's got a great voice), he had a great rapport with the audience and he's a really funny bloke. This is not the sort of band that is content to ape the source of their act, they actually have a personality of their own, and the evening was all the more enjoyable for it.

And now to our Basschat brother, Pete. Man, this guy can PLAY! Frow what I see of Pete on BC, I kind of forget he is a bassist aswell :rolleyes: He had a great tone coming through the house Markbass rig, couldn't see what the bass was as I was on the wrong side, but it was a rich and growly 5er. I don't think he was using much compression either because the way he was riding the dynamics was really clever and sensitive. Tight as f*** with the drums too. There are some very tricky bass lines going on and Pete was smooth as silk with all of them.

It was a great night, even mrs silddx really enjoyed it, and she don't dig on the 'Dan at all, can't stand them. She enjoyed the evening because of the performance, which says everything about this band in one sentence. They are way beyond a tribute act, you do not see them and pretend you are watching Steely Dan, it's much more than that, and I think that's why they are so successful and get people coming back time and again.

Pete, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you, man! See you again in January :)

Edited by silddx

Thanks Nigel! It was a real pleasure meeting you and Diane, too. Thanks for the positive comments. :)

The JC is our favourite gig. It's always a really appreciative crowd in there. Although we play the stuff as faithfully as possible, we try not to take things too seriously.

The bass is a Roscoe SKB5 straight through the house MB rig of an 800w amp and 6 x 10" cab.

The sax player is James Knight, a London session player. The drummer is Bryan Hargreaves, who's played with jakesbass quite a few times, and now does the Wogan radio show gig. Great drummer to play with.

[quote name='dr1' post='933602' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:18 PM']isn't great to have threads like this. showing respect and friendship to each others. cheers![/quote]
Steely Dan are not as good as Level 42 and Nigel silddx smells of elderberries

Fixed :)

Excellent, I'm hopefully going to catch Pete and the gang at The Sage in Gateshead in a few weeks time! After I have moved to London, I also hope to get to a Jazz Cafe gig. I heard a rumour that the epic Aja might have been added to the setlist... :)

Oh, and you guys are right, Pete can really play. His slap work on My Old School still rings true with me!

Edited by faceman

[quote name='faceman' post='933928' date='Aug 23 2010, 05:25 PM']Excellent, I'm hopefully going to catch Pete and the gang at The Sage in Gateshead in a few weeks time! After I have moved to London, I also hope to get to a Jazz Cafe gig. I heard a rumour that the epic Aja might have been added to the setlist... :)

Oh, and you guys are right, Pete can really play. His slap work on My Old School still rings true with me![/quote]
Aja was brilliant!

[quote name='faceman' post='933928' date='Aug 23 2010, 05:25 PM']Excellent, I'm hopefully going to catch Pete and the gang at The Sage in Gateshead in a few weeks time! After I have moved to London, I also hope to get to a Jazz Cafe gig. I heard a rumour that the epic Aja might have been added to the setlist... :)

Oh, and you guys are right, Pete can really play. His slap work on My Old School still rings true with me![/quote]

Slap? My Old School? :lol: Must have been pissed that night. :rolleyes:

[quote name='faceman' post='933928' date='Aug 23 2010, 05:25 PM']Excellent, I'm hopefully going to catch Pete and the gang at The Sage in Gateshead in a few weeks time! After I have moved to London, I also hope to get to a Jazz Cafe gig. I heard a rumour that the epic Aja might have been added to the setlist... :rolleyes:

I think the Sage might be sold out. :)

Aja is back in the set. :lol:

We were approached by a film company, who offered us a deal. They filmed the gig at the Stables last October. To cut a very long story short, they don't seem to be experienced in live music filming, so the footage is in limbo at present. The audio came out really well, so we did a CD instead.

I can fully understand people not wanting to buy a recording of another band's material, but if anyone's interested, please contact me.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='934074' date='Aug 23 2010, 07:31 PM']We were approached by a film company, who offered us a deal. They filmed the gig at the Stables last October. To cut a very long story short, they don't seem to be experienced in live music filming, so the footage is in limbo at present. The audio came out really well, so we did a CD instead.

I can fully understand people not wanting to buy a recording of another band's material, but if anyone's interested, please contact me.[/quote]

Great gig last night at the Jazz Cafe Pete (as ever). You really are an awesome bass player.

With regard to the CD, I played it on the way home (all of it - it was a long journey), and the sound quality is superb. It's a must purchase for anyone who has seen you live, or anyone who wants to hear the best homage to Steely Dan you will ever get.

Sue

[quote name='Sue' post='934185' date='Aug 23 2010, 09:17 PM']Great gig last night at the Jazz Cafe Pete (as ever). You really are an awesome bass player.

With regard to the CD, I played it on the way home (all of it - it was a long journey), and the sound quality is superb. It's a must purchase for anyone who has seen you live, or anyone who wants to hear the best homage to Steely Dan you will ever get.

Sue[/quote]
Do you know, I had a feeling that was you when you turned up at the pub! I was the tw@t in the hat, with my good lady Diane with the short red hair. Sorry we didn't have a chance to say hello. Hello Sue :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='934230' date='Aug 23 2010, 10:09 PM']Pete. I went to check your bands website and it`s come up as "visiting this website may harm your computer". It`s on Google`s search page.

Jez[/quote]

Pete, someone has put some malicious code in your website's source. You need to get rid of it straight away as you will be knocked off Google, Facebook and such. I've looked through the code and can't find anything too bad, it's a bit messy to say the least :)

Email me if you need more help, you know where I am!