Why become a member? ×

Jazz

jasethebass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='932589' date='Aug 22 2010, 11:00 AM']I dont see whats wrong with this,The OP clearly said that he does not know how to get into it and was looking for suggestions etc.He did not say "why is Jazz so rubbish everyone playing there own tune at a different time".
Thats the idea of a forum surely?If the thread is just to annoy people and antagonise them (And im in the stingrays are crap firing line most of the time!)then I agree you should tread carefully but in this case im with the OP.

Skee bap, Diddly bap bap!! :)[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I think the OP is done with a fair bit of tact. I was referring more generally. I think this is backed up by the fact that this one hasn't descended into chaos as they so often can.

Must admit I'm with Bloodaxe on this one - go for the middle ground, a lot of swing / big band stuff falls in here. Personally, I think the OP's original comment about the high level of musicianship is possibly where you're going wrong - go for the feel, mood, vibe rather than the of guys like Cannonball Adderley, Miles on some of the tracks mentioned earlier, Dexter Gordon, Kenny Burrell (sorry Bilbo, your favourite riff :) ) or the two Jimmies, Smith and McGriff on some really grooving organ. Avoid the crazy complicated virtuoso stuff for now - you may come around to it - I haven't yet!

As for the Trad knockers, it's well worth revisiting Louis Armstrong IMO before making such bold statements.

Going with some of the other posters here, i think that big band is the most listener friendly style of jazz music if you're looking to get into it. there are some really amazing recordings out there that are really listenable. heres a few i like from youtube.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DK4Nr-u4_o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DK4Nr-u4_o[/url]

Doc Severinsen with the Tonight Show band. some of the best arrangements in the big band repertoire

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVq5mmjrWbA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVq5mmjrWbA[/url]

i stumbled across this a while back. Great kit playing

Theres also alot of really great trio and quartet stuff out there worth listening to that isnt that 'radical' in jazz terms.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53c83k9JgHs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53c83k9JgHs[/url]

Great recording of 'Deed I Do'

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd349Df1Ows"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd349Df1Ows[/url]

The Michel Camilo Trio, Anthony Jackson on bass. Nuff said :)

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='932638' date='Aug 22 2010, 11:54 AM']As for the Trad knockers, it's well worth revisiting Louis Armstrong IMO before making such bold statements.[/quote]

I guess this means me. I've listened to Louis and he's cool. However,I really don't get the whole Acker Bilk style of 'British' trad.
I've played it at gigs,but I find it difficult to listen to. The bit that always gets me is when the front line all 'solo' at the same
time over a chorus. I just don't find it nice to listen to.

as I always end up saying, jazz for me is about being in the moment. it's always an intense and emotional experience, it's better than drugs or alcohol. jazz is the only genre that can take me there, you probably have yours and it doesn't really matter what it is. I don't "get" rap or hip hop, and it doesn't bother me, I just don't listen to it.

this one takes me there, sometimes it even forgets to bring me back.

[quote name='Doddy' post='932730' date='Aug 22 2010, 01:24 PM']I guess this means me. I've listened to Louis and he's cool. However,I really don't get the whole Acker Bilk style of 'British' trad.
I've played it at gigs,but I find it difficult to listen to. The bit that always gets me is when the front line all 'solo' at the same
time over a chorus. I just don't find it nice to listen to.[/quote]

Fair point Doddy! All the Boaters and waiscoats and way too much tenor banjo (cue whole line of banjo jokes). I must try and find the Louis album I'm particularly thinking of - may have been Live at the Town Hall or similar - proper old school Traditional Jazz but so much feel, character and style.

Great posts here chaps - esp Bloodaxe - I'm a jazz professional of one sort or another (I write about the damn stuff for a living - and yes I DO earn a living thank f***) - anyway I've been checking out some old classic Blue Note albums lately - the Rudey Van Gelder remasters - and they are shockingly good - the much is just banging... grab any album from this golden age of recording - mainly from the 1960s - and you'll hear some amazing stuff. Not just the playing but the sound of the recording is just awesome, especially remastered - and the tunes were there by the bucket load - check out Herbie hancock's Maiden Voyage for starters or something like this:

or this is just lovely...

That's the kind of easy access stuff that doesn't compromise on playing or quality or melody but is just top notch classic 'modern' jazz. I listen to absolutely every strand of jazz going - it's an absolutely VAST genre - for every one thing you may hate, or dislike, I can guarantee they'll be at least one that you'll enjoy - the problem is always knowing where to start listening - once you've found the area you like then there will be tons of artists who sound kind of similar and from there you can quickly branch out and find tons more great stuff...

I love and hate music in all genres - for me it's about whether it's music that I respond to and that is usually because it has a melody, or groove, or 'sound' that does something to me emotionally - but I also love the huge variation and complexity of jazz harmony - and that is just part of its sound - don't let that put you off - it just takes a bit of work to get into it... which is probably why jazz gets ignored by the mainstream media because it challenges the audience rather than placates them...

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='932625' date='Aug 22 2010, 11:37 AM']I'll have to assume that there's a structure/connection linking the pianist & drummer, but I'm damned if I know what it is & [u][i]to me[/i][/u] it [i]does[/i] sound as though they're off on tangents and soloing without any regard for each other.[/quote]

Which to me is what a LOT - but not all - and I DO still enjoy the majority of it - honest - is what the Jimi Hendrix Experience sounds like.
On a recent BBC prog they showed the whole of their slot on the classic Lulu show prog. And it really seemed like 3 diff songs at the same time. still great, but Jimi would have sounded no worse playing on his own for most of it.
HM-Jazz, before HM was invented!

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='933043' date='Aug 22 2010, 08:26 PM']Which to me is what a LOT - but not all - and I DO still enjoy the majority of it - honest - is what the Jimi Hendrix Experience sounds like.
On a recent BBC prog they showed the whole of their slot on the classic Lulu show prog. And it really seemed like 3 diff songs at the same time. still great, but Jimi would have sounded no worse playing on his own for most of it.
HM-Jazz, before HM was invented![/quote]
No arguments here. Many moons ago I "acquired" the full Woodstock set of Hendrix, & there's a worrying amount of Jazz Odessey-ness going on there as well.
Mind you, if we assume the likelihood that Hendrix & Co. had consumed the entire stock of a medium-sized pharmacy beforehand, it's distinctly possible that they [u][i]were[/i][/u] playing three different tunes at once. Bloody Hippies :)

Also worth bearing in mind the term "Jazz Cigarette" [i]wasn't[/i] invented by Rockers. There's a very fine line between "out of the box" and "off your face".

P.

Great posts guys! I could have written the OP myself. I like some things and dislike others - can't stand Motown for example, but I know [i]why[/i] I don't like it!

Jazz, on the other hand, leaves me baffled. I'm obviously looking for a different resolution to the players and most of the audience. Marked this up in my favourites to have a long listen to all the links.

I may end up not liking it but that isn't the point. I need to know [i]why[/i]!

[quote name='Doddy' post='932730' date='Aug 22 2010, 01:24 PM']I guess this means me. I've listened to Louis and he's cool. However,I really don't get the whole Acker Bilk style of 'British' trad.
time over a chorus. I just don't find it nice to listen to.[/quote]

Indeed - all of them soloing simultaneously, none of them listening to each other - it can often descend into cacophony. A bit like the "everyone solo" at the end of the song we were discussing in another thread.

I asked one of the proponents of this genre about exactly this phenomenon, and why it seemed to work in the old days, but not now. He claimed that it was because back then the parts were arranged in advance, and thus made collective musical sense.

I used to play in a trad-ish band and they were great, but we had quite good arrangements and were well rehearsed, which would back up the above point somewhat.

Jennifer

Historically, all jazz has been structured on some basis or other, even free jazz has its parameters. Dixieland jazz was always based on the idea that one of the lead instruments, say a cornet, played a melody, a clarinet played an obligato over the top of it and a third frontline instrument (trombone) played a more rooted improvised counterpoint. When it works its great but when it doesn't, it can get a bit nasty. Trouble is, a lot of people operate on the assumption that everyone is making stuff up as they go along. There is an element of that but its reactive. The stuff they 'make up' is a response to what has gone before - just as I am 'making up/improvising' this post - it only makes sense if you have read the whole thing and can interpret it in context.

If said a load of randon carbunkle peculiar four track dibble dibble plonk, it wouldn't make sense, snorkers, would it, fnar fnar?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='933362' date='Aug 23 2010, 09:26 AM']Anyone seen these guys from Japan?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKVvysl-Mo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKVvysl-Mo[/url][/quote]

This is absolutely effing amazing! Thank you for introducing this to me! YES!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='933362' date='Aug 23 2010, 09:26 AM']Anyone seen these guys from Japan?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKVvysl-Mo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKVvysl-Mo[/url][/quote]

Soil & Pimp Sessions - good musicians for sure, but a bit of one a trick pony merchant. A lot of their albums are a bit samey and your ears get tired of it quickly. It's good stuff though is small doses :)

The trio I play with recently picked up 'All Blues' from Miles Davis's 'Kind of Blue' lp, and 'Adam's Apple,' Wayne Shorter's tune from the album of the same name. We play bass, piano and violin, and the violin generally takes the lead, with violin and piano trading solos. This music is fabulous, and every member of the group is having to stretch a good deal.

I like a lot of kinds of music, but jazz seems particularly alive. Within the simple framework of 'All Blues' is an amazing, perhaps endless set of possibilities for bass. And like Bilbo said, it isn't just musicians playing whatever comes into their heads; when we play jazz, I have to pay better attention to what I am doing. But at the same time, there is an incredible freedom to listen to what the others are doing and weave the thing into a whole.

There's some jazz I've heard that I can hardly stand, and maybe never will. Some of it seems designed to rattle the nervous system off the coffee table. But some of the cooler jazz tunes--and the ballads, like 'Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat' and 'Self-Portrait in Three Colors' by Mingus, and 'Teru' by Shorter--open up worlds.