Why become a member? ×

which bass for £1500

jazzbob

I have a 92 ('75 reissue) Fender MIJ Jazz Bass which is fine but really noisy electronically (if you can call the flimsy bits of old radio shack wiring in the back 'electronics') its less of a guitar and more of an aerial for picking up background radiation and amplifying it. I am going to line the pickup cavities etc but basically I want a bass I can just play and not have to faff about with. I also have relatively small hands and so I like the width of a jazz neck.

I have been looking at the Stu Hamm Urge II as I have about £1500 tops for a new bass but it has the occasional duff review for the same thing, that horrible electronic buzz. Having said that I love the shape of a Fender Jazz and that particular guitar looks mighty fine especially in black.

So before I get hypnotised by the Urge's looks (if not the slightly dodgy name) what else would you recommend for a good all rounder for under £1500? Do you have to spend a lot more for 'real quality' or can you get a rock solid, electronically quiet, good looking, narrow neck, no hassle bass for that price.

And, if I am trying to get away from iffy wiring and noisy electtrics is there any sense in getting another mortgage and trying to pick up a classic original Jazz?

Jazzbob

With no insult to fenders I would have thought with that kind of money asking someone like shuker, or ACG to build you a custom bass would get exactly what you want to your own specifications and to a alot better quality and some really nice electronics.

Thats just me though I haven't personly played a stock bass I have prefered in quality to any custom built instrument for the same price.

With an additional point being for the king of narrow necks the Ibanez SR range something like the SR1000 comes in around the £700 mark and they are very very nice basses my sister has one and I almost steal it every time I'm home.

Plus you could just spend £200 and upgrade your own electronics and sheild your cavities.

I personaly spent abit more on a custom but hell I'm a fool with money and a weakness for shiney ACG basses.

Edited by Sugden

Before you go diving in doing anything, check this item out on ebay 170177915599

Believe me, you will never, ever, ever, ever, want anything else (everything you do get will be compared to it!), and sonically ......

PERFECT......

everything cranked up full with the 18V electronics- nothing, nada, zip! No humm no annoying anything, just awesome tone and gut rumbling power....

And if you dont like it, I´ll buy it off you for what you paid.. Can you say better than that?
:)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='104868' date='Dec 16 2007, 10:53 AM']No sense in buying a vintage Fender if you want to get away from earth hum and dodgy electrics. Try something more modern: a Stingray, Warwick, G&L L2000. Lots of people swear by the Lakland jazzes here - maybe try one of those.[/quote]

Ed Straker says: "Check out the new prices on a new Modulus Flea, start at £1395. Colonel Foster says the finish and neck are out of this world..."

Caption: (Colonel Foster) "Just imagine a Modulus neck with that groovy KLD pattern in the carbon fiber, Basslines MM pickup, Aguilar OBP-1, there isn't a bass like it and it's custom built to your spec by Modulus. Coool!"

Edited by Bassman7

Caption: (Colonel Foster) "Just imagine a Modulus neck with that groovy KLD pattern in the carbon fiber, Basslines MM pickup, Aguilar OBP-1, there isn't a bass like it and it's custom built to your spec by Modulus. Coool!"
[/quote]

Caption: "Look at that cool KLD pattern with the carbon fiber layers, you won't find any other neck like it!"

Edited by Bassman7

[quote name='jazzbob' post='104741' date='Dec 15 2007, 07:37 PM']So before I get hypnotised by the Urge's looks (if not the slightly dodgy name) what else would you recommend for a good all rounder for under £1500? Do you have to spend a lot more for 'real quality' or can you get a rock solid, electronically quiet, good looking, narrow neck, no hassle bass for that price.[/quote]

ah,you'll be wanting a s/h Sterling then which will still leave you more than half your budget

Hehe it does indeed! The problem is that for £1500 the options are so special, so custom and so tailored to the individual that it is hard to generalise. It might be better to give me some of the money to narrow down the options somewhat?

My opinion would be that there is really no need to spend anywhere near £1500 to get a really excellent bass.

Half that should suffice, leaving you the option of two basses, a bass and amp setup, or just some money ;-)

Seriously though, ask yourself this, would even a £500 bass actually hold your playing, and your music back?