Why become a member? ×

Graphite necks...

EBS_freak

Was checking out Modulus on the Smart Distribution webiste -

[url="http://www.smart-distribution.co.uk/bassandguitar/modulusguitars/replacementneckshtml.html"]http://www.smart-distribution.co.uk/bassan...tneckshtml.html[/url]

- and my jaw hit the ground at the the price of those graphite necks. Is that serious? When did Modulus replacement necks get so expensive? Seriously, whats the difference between the Modulus ones and the Status ones at nearly half the price? (Comparing Status J neck with Quantum neck... having said that, the Status still looks favourable at a couple of hundred quid less than the Genesis necks).

This can't all be down to them coming from the good old US of A can it?

The neck is half the value of the VJ bass... given the fact that cost of the hardware, pickups etc make up the rest, that makes for a cheap Modulus body!

Edited by EBS_freak

I guess Modulus charge what the american market will pay for a graphite neck. The main competition is presumably from Status and before the pound weakened against the dollar a Status neck probably cost a fortune in the US.

Now we're the ones paying through the nose for Modulus gear they may have to rethink their pricing to compete with us. When I spoke to Dawn at Status she told me my order was in with about 15 other basses being assembled that week, and all except mine were for export! (although maybe not all to the US)

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='928872' date='Aug 18 2010, 06:07 PM']I guess Modulus charge what the american market will pay for a graphite neck. The main competition is presumably from Status and before the pound weakened against the dollar a Status neck probably cost a fortune in the US.

Now we're the ones paying through the nose for Modulus gear they may have to rethink their pricing to compete with us. When I spoke to Dawn at Status she told me my order was in with about 15 other basses being assembled that week, and all except mine were for export![/quote]

I would be interested in a Modulus neck... but at that price, Status is the only logical choice!

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='928870' date='Aug 18 2010, 06:06 PM']the carbon that they are using for decoration i HOONINGLY expensive - thats why

they make it pretty, you pay the cost (btw if its the same stuff that we get at work, its about £500 per metre)[/quote]

Ouch, ouch, ouch...! Right, where's my carbon fibre look sticky vinyl and my rattle can?

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='928884' date='Aug 18 2010, 06:17 PM']Now you're just toying with us! :) Care to elaborate?[/quote]

Yeah, I would be interested in learning more too... I'm pretty sussed when it comes to how Status and Gus make theirs... but what about Modulus?

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='928872' date='Aug 18 2010, 06:07 PM']I guess Modulus charge what the american market will pay for a graphite neck. The main competition is presumably from Status and before the pound weakened against the dollar a Status neck probably cost a fortune in the US.

Now we're the ones paying through the nose for Modulus gear they may have to rethink their pricing to compete with us. When I spoke to Dawn at Status she told me my order was in with about 15 other basses being assembled that week, and all except mine were for export! (although maybe not all to the US)[/quote]
[url="http://www.mosesgraphite.com/cgi-bin/moses/mj144.html"]Moses Graphite[/url] do similar necks in the USA for less, it seems.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='928929' date='Aug 18 2010, 07:00 PM'][url="http://www.mosesgraphite.com/cgi-bin/moses/mj144.html"]Moses Graphite[/url] do similar necks in the USA for less, it seems.[/quote]

True... but not heard the best reports about them.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='928939' date='Aug 18 2010, 11:10 AM']True... but not heard the best reports about them.[/quote]
The early Moses necks where a 1 inch bar of graphite inside a block of resin shaped like a neck. Never saw one that looked close to good and they were heavy and had air bubbles. The stuff they used to bring to NAMM was embarrassing. The new hollow ones are supposed to be much better but I haven't played one.

Modulus from the mid '80's also made some real dogs and the old Basstar line was hit or miss. I've liked all the Zons I've played. Zon used Modulus for a year or so and then made their own after being unhappy with Modulus. All the Modulus I've seen in the last 20 years have been nice.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='929291' date='Aug 19 2010, 03:30 AM']The early Moses necks where a 1 inch bar of graphite inside a block of resin shaped like a neck. Never saw one that looked close to good and they were heavy and had air bubbles. The stuff they used to bring to NAMM was embarrassing. The new hollow ones are supposed to be much better but I haven't played one.[/quote]

That's what I'd heard... Seems they couldn't quite get the knack of removing the air from the resin... :)

[quote]Modulus from the mid '80's also made some real dogs and the old Basstar line was hit or miss. I've liked all the Zons I've played. Zon used Modulus for a year or so and then made their own after being unhappy with Modulus. All the Modulus I've seen in the last 20 years have been nice.[/quote]

Must admit, I have liked all the Modulus I have seen... but I haven't seen a replacement neck on it's own. I am guessing that they are the same things that they use for thier VJ series...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='929313' date='Aug 18 2010, 11:29 PM']Must admit, I have liked all the Modulus I have seen... but I haven't seen a replacement neck on it's own. I am guessing that they are the same things that they use for thier VJ series...[/quote]
Yeah, I've liked all the Modulus neck throughs I've played. The old Basstar line were Fender replacement necks from the mid '80's. IIRC they even sold complete Fender style knock offs.

The VJ series has a few decades on the Basstars and should be much improved.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='930492' date='Aug 20 2010, 12:49 AM']That may depend on the particular neck. I was stunned at the quality of a Status I ordered. Returned it. I'm not the only one to do so either.[/quote]

Really? What specifically made you return it?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='929350' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:26 AM']Ah, but does that necessarily make them [i]better[/i] than Moses, Status, Gus, Vigier etc.?[/quote]

I'm not sure. I love Modulus, and the flaked effect of the neck looks great (I hate the cheesy "Thousand naked ladies dancing" name or whatever it was they call it though!). However, their pricing is outrageous. I'm also of the opinion that Status do the best graphite products.

Moses have always been a cheap option but I hear they've improved by massive leaps in recent years and are a viable alternative to the more expensive options. The old problems with them included excessive weight, poor casting and shoddy fretwork. They have improved great though, which is encouraging.

[quote name='Machines' post='931076' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:13 PM']Not sure if you've already seen this EBS_freak: [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:tech:use_of_composites_graphite_necks_in_bass_guitar_design"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:tech:use_o...s_guitar_design[/url][/quote]

Interesting reading, thanks for posting!