Why become a member? ×

Alembic Rouge?

bubinga5

Im not a big fan of Alembics.i just dont like the small bodied MK and SK basses.or small bodied basses in general...BUT...this bass for me looks so killer...i just cant get over the price...For those who dont know its an Alembic Rogue..there is a 4 string on the Bassworld site for £6000..

its been my dream bass for as long as i remember..it is very possible that i will never be able to afford one..i just love the shape of it, with that long top horn...

am i wrong in saying Alembics are very hifi sounding? anyone played a rogue..

some pics of said bass

[url="http://www.americanguitarsuk.com/bassshop/alembicB.php"]http://www.americanguitarsuk.com/bassshop/alembicB.php[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='blackmn90' post='927082' date='Aug 16 2010, 11:55 PM']isnt that the same shape as a sei flamboyant? probably half the price too[/quote]
You're joking right? Sei's aren't exactly cheap but the base price for an Alembic Rogue is [url="http://www.alembic.com/cgi-bin/quote/quote?model=Rogue"]$7500[/url].

[quote name='molan' post='927095' date='Aug 17 2010, 12:19 AM']I owned a 5 string Rogue for a while.

It went to Bassmanady - not sure if he still has it or not though.[/quote]I have sold it now Barrie...the weight was probally one reason,and i never really got on with the preamp filters and controls

[quote name='blackmn90' post='927082' date='Aug 16 2010, 11:55 PM']isnt that the same shape as a sei flamboyant? probably half the price too[/quote]

Very similar shape. I thought I had seen something like it before. Saying that Sei's arent exactly 'budget'

[quote name='bassmanady' post='927113' date='Aug 17 2010, 12:44 AM']I have sold it now Barrie...the weight was probally one reason,and i never really got on with the preamp filters and controls[/quote]

I think all Alembics are pretty heavy :)

If anyone is interested in a Rogue & concerned about the complexity of the controls then this particular one isn't representative of a standard model as it had the full Signature electronics package installed.

that's all i played for quite a while with a funk/rock band - it gave me an absolutely monstorous sound (through a markbass 2*10 + 15 extension ) - heaps of power and clarity + awesome playability.

Everyone I played with said this was the best sounding bass they'd ever heard

It's certainly not a vintage jazz bass though - unplugged it has a characteristic more like the bottom end of a quality grand piano - awesome in it's own right but may not be for you - I guess you won't know till you try it.

The $ exchange rate is definitely against you at the moment - you would have got it new between £3600-£4000 when the £ was strong - maybe that day will return?

go and give it a quick try - what's the worst that could happen? :rolleyes:

ps sorry, mine is going to be passed on in my will :)

Rogue's tend to have better balance than some of the smaller bodied Alembics - the extended top horn can be of benefit here. The smaller bodied basses do not balance well in my opinion (though I find that a very short, wide neoprene strap helps) - the standard body shape for the MK model is not small at all - indeed, the MK is generally a big bass. I too have found that most Alembics are relatively weighty. Anything with cocobolo facings is going to be pretty heavy - Alembic use a lot of cocobolo - and the brass hardware and electronics package isn't light. Add to this the fact that some Alembics have four 9v cells just to power the LEDs and you can see that weight management isn't always a major issue at Alembic. That said, selection of lighter facings can have a big impact and some models are chambered: I have a SC deluxe in Buckeye Burl and it's very manageable (about 8.5lbs).

On the issue of tone...well it's all so subjective. For me the characteristic and core tone of a higher-end alembic is something like the bottom-end of a high-quality grand piano: depth, purity and complexity with massive sustain. Alembics can certainly sound 'hi-fi' but tend to sound different (to my ears) to other typical hifi basses such as Foderas, Seis etc. If you prefer 'Bbmmmmm' to 'Ddoiing', then an Alembic may not be for you - though it is possible to make an Alembic sound reasonably close to other hifi instruments. If you like a clanging, ringing rock tone, then an Alembic can do that too. What I think an Alembic may struggle with is emulation of something like an EB-O or EB-3 - Alembics do tend to sound very clear. I also find that Alembics tend to have a big and complex though not 'phat' tone (i.e., phat along the lines of something like a Warwick). Getting used to the filter system on an Alembic really isn't that difficult - some are more complex than others but the variety of tones is astonishing and investing some time in experimentation is worthwhile. I hope this help the OP - just some thoughts on the basis of my own experience.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='927092' date='Aug 17 2010, 12:09 AM']You're joking right? Sei's aren't exactly cheap but the base price for an Alembic Rogue is [url="http://www.alembic.com/cgi-bin/quote/quote?model=Rogue"]$7500[/url].[/quote]

On the sei website a basic new flamboyant 5 is £2100, compared to £6000 thats a huge saving

[quote name='blackmn90' post='927444' date='Aug 17 2010, 12:16 PM']On the sei website a basic new flamboyant 5 is £2100, compared to £6000 thats a huge saving[/quote]
Sorry, I think I misunderstood- your post reads as if you're saying the Alembic is half the price of the Sei, rather than the other way round.

[attachment=56844:Debs___gig_002.jpg]
I love mine, but i find it's not a 'jack of all trades' bass tone-wise, It just sounds like an Alembic at the end of the day,The tone filter takes some getting used to, to begin with but the Bass & Treble cut/boost switches make for a nice tone, It's not that heavy either.
As already stated, with the $ price being so strong against the £, I sometimes have to consider where to take mine at certain gigs. It is now my main 'Function' bass as i get some looks at pub gigs!

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='927514' date='Aug 17 2010, 01:25 PM']Sorry, I think I misunderstood- your post reads as if you're saying the Alembic is half the price of the Sei, rather than the other way round.[/quote]

ohrite yh my fault, sei flamboyant is cheeper :) and you could get it made to your own spec as well

[quote name='Bassman68' post='927598' date='Aug 17 2010, 02:36 PM'][attachment=56844:Debs___gig_002.jpg]
I love mine, but i find it's not a 'jack of all trades' bass tone-wise, It just sounds like an Alembic at the end of the day,The tone filter takes some getting used to, to begin with but the Bass & Treble cut/boost switches make for a nice tone, It's not that heavy either.
As already stated, with the $ price being so strong against the £, I sometimes have to consider where to take mine at certain gigs. It is now my main 'Function' bass as i get some looks at pub gigs![/quote]

If Carlsberg did rigs............

I've had a fretless Alembic Epic 5 string for a few months now, and it is absolutely incredible. It does have a hi-fi sound but it's not brittle or thin. The "grand piano" term is fairly accurate, to put it lightly the response is thunderous. It's a heavier bass but certainly not unmanagebly so and it balances very well. Certainly, the weight of it has never been an issue for me, though I prefer being sat with it in a studio listening to it through big monitors, just because it sounds so outstanding.

And of course, I couldn't speak more highly of he build quality. The fit and finish are on par with the best basses I've ever played, including Alembics tagged at £5000! it has to be said that Alembic won't do anything by half and the quality of my Epic illustrates this perfectly. Although it is an "entry level" Alembic, the price is on par with many other expensive basses and it quite easily fends them off. It was beautifully set up when I received it, and is easily the best playing fretless I've ever held. The action is so low, you can play with such a light touch and yet still get wonderful ringing tones, and when playing with a harder touch and pumping along the strings never clatter or buzz; the sustain seems endless and every note is rich and vibrant.

It plays so well it has effectively cut the field of fretless basses. I'd only ever consider a few select fretless basses in future with any real thought. Perhaps a Pedulla buzz, a Zon and maybe a Jaco jazz bass for old skool kicks. I got the Alembic for £600 in unblemished, almost apparently unused condition - it is a bargain of the highest order, not seen since I bagged a Kubicki for £600! I knew it would be a good one as people were PM'ing me before it had even arrived in the post asking for first dibs if I ever sold it. I know, sadly, that this is one bass I just can't let go because I'd be mugging myself at the price. It is insanely good, far too good a bass for a cackhander like me!

On that note, having been blown away like I was here, I'd advise you to hunt the used market for Alembics. There were a couple of gorgeous fretted Epics for sale here a couple of months ago...

I have played a Rogue, and it does indeed balance better than the other models with shorter horns (like my Series 1 Long Scale). Alembics can very widely in weight. Mine is about 10lbs, but I have played a Series 1 fiver that weighed 15lbs! Based on the attached pic, this Rogue has the Stardard Rogue electronics. One of the switches lets you change the tone knob to a Q-filter, which is similar to the Series 1. IMO, the big benefit of Alembic electronics is when you use systems that let you control the sound of each pickup individually (Anniversary, Series I, and Series II). Same thing that is so wonderful about the Wal basses.

@Lozbass' comments are on the money.