Why become a member? ×

You have desperate Gas? But what do you want!?

bassatnight

Fellow Basschatters,

I have over the last six months gone from 8 basses down to just the one a mint 1981 Aria SB1000 which I will never part with but like all of us at some point or another the old finances were stretched and I needed to recoup some money urgently due to redundancy and a 150 mile house move.

I cannot tell how heartbroken I was to see the following leave my possesion:

Fender American P Black/Maple
Fender American Jazz Sunburst/Rosewood
Sandberg JM Natural
Status Graphite Fretless
Aria SB700 Natural
Aria SB1000 Paduk
Westone Thunder 3 Fretless

I am now happily working again and settling fast into the new area (Ely) but I have serious Bass withdrawls but only limited funds until the old house sells so I have decided to purchase a high end instrument on the old hire purchase until the house gets sold. My problem is what to get, ideally I want to get to a situation where I have managed to get a nice Fender P, a Jazz, Stingray and a decent fretless but not sure what to get first, I have gone from just getting one of the new classic series Squires to tide me over to a £1200 Ray, P or Jazz.

Anyone else been in this position where you know 'roughly' what you want but can only afford just the one for now but which to get first!? arrghh!!

Steve.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='922342' date='Aug 12 2010, 09:18 AM']Fellow Basschatters,

I have over the last six months gone from 8 basses down to just the one a mint 1981 Aria SB1000 which I will never part with but like all of us at some point or another the old finances were stretched and I needed to recoup some money urgently due to redundancy and a 150 mile house move.

I cannot tell how heartbroken I was to see the following leave my possesion:

Fender American P Black/Maple
Fender American Jazz Sunburst/Rosewood
Sandberg JM Natural
Status Graphite Fretless
Aria SB700 Natural
Aria SB1000 Paduk
Westone Thunder 3 Fretless

I am now happily working again and settling fast into the new area (Ely) but I have serious Bass withdrawls but only limited funds until the old house sells so I have decided to purchase a high end instrument on the old hire purchase until the house gets sold. My problem is what to get, ideally I want to get to a situation where I have managed to get a nice Fender P, a Jazz, Stingray and a decent fretless but not sure what to get first, I have gone from just getting one of the new classic series Squires to tide me over to a £1200 Ray, P or Jazz.

Anyone else been in this position where you know 'roughly' what you want but can only afford just the one for now but which to get first!? arrghh!!

Steve.[/quote]
Thats a toughie Steve.

Not been in that position, but think if I was, I`d have to go for the bass that fits best with the music I play. i.e - if all the bands I like, and play music for in my band are Precision based, that would be my answer.

If however, your music has a variety of sounds, go for the most versatile, the one that can cover most/all bases in one hit.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='922397' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:06 AM']Sorry, probably not what you want to hear, but spending money you don't have on stuff you don't need is a mug's game, imho.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree that it's always best to buy when you've got the cash. If you've got a bass then just play that! I've gone down from 7 basses to 1 and am planning on down grading that one aswell!! You could say it's what comes out of the player, not the bass that's important :)

Nice sentiment and possibly better aimed at someone less fortunate.

I will have some £80k once the house sale goes through and we are now renting for the forseeable so afford it I certainly can; I don't envisage paying more than two payments on the old HP before clearing it.[quote name='Earbrass' post='922397' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:06 AM']Sorry, probably not what you want to hear, but spending money you don't have on stuff you don't need is a mug's game, imho.[/quote]

[quote name='bassatnight' post='922408' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:12 AM']Nice sentiment and possibly better aimed at someone less fortunate.

I will have some £80k once the house sale goes through and we are now renting for the forseeable so afford it I certainly can; I don't envisage paying more than two payments on the old HP before clearing it.[/quote]

Pride comes before a fall. The biggest losers in the recession weren't the people who took out loans that they thought they'd struggle to repay - it was the people who took out loans thinking that they were invincible.

Seriously, if you're expecting to be loaded in two months, and you don't even have a particular bass in mind, then why not just wait? If you desperately need a second bass, then stick with getting a second-hand Squier CV or something.

S.P.

If I had £80k, I'd just get a high-end Alembic and have done with it - a Signature or Series can cover a lot of different bases and has it's own unique tone too. Of course, not everybody is a fan. If that's the case for you, and given what you have now, I'd go for the Jazz first. My first choice wouldn't be a Fender, and I'd be tempted to go for something second hand and boutique. There are some fantastic Jazz clones out there - most can do a great classic J tone but offer much more in terms of versatility and playability (that isn't to say that there aren't some great Fender Js out there too). For me to advise financial prudence would be sheer hypocrisy.

If you're looking for something really special, and a bass that will cure all gas for the future I'd be thinking of finding a good luthier for a custom, tell them everything you want it to do & how it's to sound up front. Either that or speak to either of the brand Custom Shops with a spec. Both of them will have waiting lists which will stop the cash burning a hole in your pocket, and any of them will give you something no-one else has.

If I had that kind of money, I'd be looking to invest in a 60s Fender Jazz or something, a bass that'll be worth the same or more when it comes to move it on.

Equally, I'd probably want a Fodera Emperor to sit next to it a gigs too, just as a backup :) .

I think you should get yourself down to a decent shop with an open mind and see what catches your eye. Bass Direct [url="http://www.bassdirect.co.uk"](here)[/url] would be ideal for this, they've got a huge range of gear you don't see in many places and what you're looking for (whether you know it or not) is likely to be there.